Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2014 5:03:57 PM EDT
Paging RDTCU and Pinepig.

There's a very clean one with super low miles for sale near me.  I've been on the fence about getting a supermoto for a looooong time.

My concern is that they only made these bikes 1-2 years and Husky has since been sold to KTM.  I asked the local husky dealer about parts availability and support and was told basically "good luck."

Anyone have insight or opinion on this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
your local delaer is full of shit. Buster Brown will get you the parts in a few days.

Huskys are a basically a Blue KTM, They were made for the non pretentious KTM riders, those who give no fucks of Orange toasters and  Orange sneakers, but of riding the living dog piss out of a great machine.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read a little on Supermotojunkie with folks having problems getting parts for pre KTM owned Husqvarna bikes  AND KTM has jacked the shit out of the price of said unavailable parts.

I have a buddy looking at CHEAP ( 2800 ) local owned 610sm and I'm not sure I'd recommend one right now.   I know the owner also and he's having a hard time selling it even at that price.

Go dig around on CafeHusky and see what those folks have to say with parts availability.   The 630 is a solid bike and with some mods moves out pretty good even though it is a bit on the heavy side ( what can I say, when I killed my 610,  I went orange and can easily tell my new bike is 50ish pounds lighter,)  If you offroad your SM you'll want the lighter bike.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read a little on Supermotojunkie with folks having problems getting parts for pre KTM owned Husqvarna bikes  AND KTM has jacked the shit out of the price of said unavailable parts.

I have a buddy looking at CHEAP ( 2800 ) local owned 610sm and I'm not sure I'd recommend one right now.   I know the owner also and he's having a hard time selling it even at that price.

Go dig around on CafeHusky and see what those folks have to say with parts availability.   The 630 is a solid bike and with some mods moves out pretty good even though it is a bit on the heavy side ( what can I say, when I killed my 610,  I went orange and can easily tell my new bike is 50ish pounds lighter,)  If you offroad your SM you'll want the lighter bike.
View Quote

You do know that Husky (pre-KTM) used MANY KTM parts well before they went full KTM. GasGas did the same thing.

Only thing I could see being a major issue is the plastics/body work.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I am familiar that a lot of bike use common parts,  I can't think of one part on the 610/630 engine that is shared by KTM besides some washers, bolts and nuts.

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?150659-Getting-Parts-the-new-Husqvarna

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te630-parts-availability.53711/

Here is a couple of topics from folks that actually own pre KTM Husqvarna and are having issues obtaining parts now,  it will change in the future,  the big question is which way.

Like they say,  you pay the money, you take your chances.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I saw those threads.  It looks like a mixed bag between guys who can't get shit and guys who have had no trouble getting a part.

KTMs in norcal are ridiculously expensive.  

Tough call, it's a 2011 with miles in the triple digits.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yea I saw those threads.  It looks like a mixed bag between guys who can't get shit and guys who have had no trouble getting a part.

KTMs in norcal are ridiculously expensive.  

Tough call, it's a 2011 with miles in the triple digits.
View Quote

My buddy is looking for a new to him Supermoto in norcal too,  I've been helping in the search and there isn't shit for sale right now.  Patients is the key.  Keep looking and have the cash ready,  what you want will pop up,  you just have to be ready ( or my buddy Chad will snatch it out from underneath you . )
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I gotta tell ya, if the price is right I'd scoop it up. Great bikes, very robust, the 610 and 630 share a lot of parts, and it's nowhere near as maintenance heavy as my SMR is by comparison. It's nowhere near as extreme, but it's still a helluva fun bike especially if you're looking to break into the SuMo world.

Halls Cycles can get most anything, tho admittedly some things are drying up (example a hi flow water pump for my 510....waited six. Months to find out it was never coming). It's no DRZ, but once you ride it you will know why.

I've got a garage full of bikes, and my Husky is the bike that I get the most smiles per mile on.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
So what are you going to do about the water pump?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what are you going to do about the water pump?
View Quote

Keep my eyes peeled for a used one to pop up. My standard water pump is fine and I could get a new standard pump from Halls, but this was a hi flow race pump, there weren't that many around in the first place so it is what it is.

I've been doing the SuMo thing for about a decade now, give or take. I converted my DRZ-S over when I wanted to get into them and I loved it. Eventually, the DRZ couldn't hack it for what I wanted out of it, so I moved up to the 510 and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Incidentally, I've ridden a few TE610's and they were really nice bikes. My buddy did the "power up" on his and tossed on a Leo Vince pipe, dropped a tooth off the front and it really came alive. I'm not as familiar with the SM630 but it's essentially the same damn bike with an over bore and an SM set up, I imagine it would be the same. SMJ or CafeHusky would have all of that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotcha.

After riding it a few minutes ago, a common complaint on the forums is that they're corked up. It definitely is. A little bogging when rolling on the throttle . It's also got an issue with the neutral switch which was kinda strange. Bike goes into neutral but the N won't light up and it won't start if it thinks it's in gear.

Tough choice here fellas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I gotta tell ya, if the price is right I'd scoop it up. Great bikes, very robust, the 610 and 630 share a lot of parts, and it's nowhere near as maintenance heavy as my SMR is by comparison. It's nowhere near as extreme, but it's still a helluva fun bike especially if you're looking to break into the SuMo world.

Halls Cycles can get most anything, tho admittedly some things are drying up (example a hi flow water pump for my 510....waited six. Months to find out it was never coming). It's no DRZ, but once you ride it you will know why.

I've got a garage full of bikes, and my Husky is the bike that I get the most smiles per mile on.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc133/fttam/Husky/imagejpg1_zps0b7ab36e.jpg
View Quote

All this.

I had a 08  KTM 690 and and before that an 07 Husky 610. The 690 was a bit better overall (certainly in power) but not much. The Huskey had is charms for sure. 630 are a bit heavier than 610s but they are really nice runners. I would be happy with either for street riding and the smiles per mile quotient.

Buy it, ride it, post a few pics Bro!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gotcha.

After riding it a few minutes ago, a common complaint on the forums is that they're corked up. It definitely is. A little bogging when rolling on the throttle . It's also got an issue with the neutral switch which was kinda strange. Bike goes into neutral but the N won't light up and it won't start if it thinks it's in gear.

Tough choice here fellas.
View Quote

What's the asking price?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
5800. 480 miles.

I thought about making an offer for 5800 out the door.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
It's mine. Got a better price than I was thinking of offering. Doing all the paperwork and jazz now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Score!

Now POST PICS
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's mine. Got a better price than I was thinking of offering. Doing all the paperwork and jazz now.
View Quote

Grats,  are you near the Sacramento area,  we have 4 or 5 of us doing a ride down towards Murphy on Sunday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Yea I'm pretty close, Vacaville.  Ride to Murphys sounds pretty good but it's started shitting rain again.

I was thinking about heading west and ripping up a little PCH tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a group of guys from your area,  they come this way sometimes as we have the better roads up our way.

I'll be going with my buddy Chad ( he's in your area,  looking at your tank icon you guys might even work at the same place ) look at a KTM 525exc tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice bike!

Time to start practicing those wheelies and backing it in!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome, thanks guys.  I'm about to go cut across wine county and head down to the GG bridge for a little jaunt.

Thankfully it's drying out and should be a blast.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]
You California guys should head on up to Foresthill Road in the Auburn area.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like a great ride.

Did some twisties in Napa/Sonoma and this thing is unbelievable.  I haven't had as much fun riding since being a kid and putzing around on dirtbikes.

Didn't make it to the bridge, got a little distracted at the Lagunitas Taproom

Ran out of daylight and ended up doing a stretch on the freeway home.  If I do any more of that, I'm going to have to think about a new sprocket on this thing.  It's able to maintain 75mph ok but you're not passing anybody in a hurry.  

I suppose that's probably ok for its intended usage.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, they aren't really freeway kinda bikes. For me, it's worth sacrificing highway usability for around town punch.

If you uncork it and unleash some more power tho, you could get away with subtracting a tooth or two out back and get a few more mph on top.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I figured as much, was more just curious to see what she's capable of.  I certainly didn't buy this thing with the intention of freeway cruising.

It does have some sort of "electronic jet kit" tuner add on which I am about to look up and see if it's any good.  I was just about to click the button on an ibeat cable when I found it.

I'll figure out how to open the airbox as well and see if it's been cleaned out yet.  The service manual is available for free online.

I was thinking that something like one of those hitch racks would open up a whole new world of riding.  Hmmmm
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mosquito Ridge Road,   one of my favorites,   600 something turns in 36 miles.    We use it as a loop with 11 pines, Wentworth Springs, 193 and 49.   It's a good loop.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Small world, but I'm pretty sure I used to see that bike every once in a while when I lived in Santa Rosa.

Regarding the parts situation of Italian and BMW Husqvarna motorcycles, lets just say I'm glad I don't still own my 09 450. It was a fun bike though.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I got it in Sac with 480 miles on the clock.  It's possible that she made it over to SR, but I doubt it haha.  There was one for sale in SF recently listed for 6200 but I don't think he sold it.

Yea it was a gamble on parts in the future but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#29]
HEY should have messaged me, haha

I've never had trouble getting anything I needed from Hall's Cycle, plastics included.
The only exception was right around the time they were selling to KTM and moving spare parts inventory, that added a couple weeks for a couple trans parts.

I've got 15k miles on my 630 now, only real issue was a bent shift fork from sticking it in a ditch on the shifter last year  Whole top end still looked like new when I tore it down at 12k miles.

I just got back on it the other day after getting over a broken right wrist from back in July.

Get you some decent handguards and throw on some sliders and a Hyde polymer skidpate.  Not a lot of weight but you'll regret not having all that in a drop.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for joining us in here! Haha

I wanted to ask what you did for your fender, is that plasti dip?  The white has got a nasty glare at night, I actually bought some vinyl wrap so I'm going to give that a shot.  I ordered black, white, and red so there may be some other cool guy projects on the horizon as well.  I'm looking at the wheels....
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for joining us in here! Haha

I wanted to ask what you did for your fender, is that plasti dip?  The white has got a nasty glare at night, I actually bought some vinyl wrap so I'm going to give that a shot.  I ordered black, white, and red so there may be some other cool guy projects on the horizon as well.  I'm looking at the wheels....
View Quote

Yep, plastidipped the whole bike at one point.  I've got the camo vinyl on the number plates and headlight now just to change it up.  I'll probably strip it all and hydro dip the panels at some point, just need to pick a pattern...

Before you go spending money on the pretty stuff, I'd go for a Seat Concepts replacement seat cover/foam.  Best ~$120 you'll spend.  No more 2x4 dirt bike seat.  I've done 300miles in a day on mine before, pretty much all twisties and could still walk afterwards.

Another thing is lighting.  The factory reflector is pretty, but the pattern sucks.  I've tried HID bulb replacements, they suck too.
Pick up some TeslaLED or ADVmonster light pods like I did if you're going to be doing much riding at night.

Also, some good EBC HH sintered pads make a huge difference in brake feel, front and rear.

How much do you weigh with gear?  It wouldn't hurt to go up in fork spring rates if you're average American size like me and not midget Italian jockey size
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my husqvarna! It's an 05 with a newer front end and brakes.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w611/barrtjb/IMG_2203_zps59dce487.jpg
View Quote

And some expensive little Marchesinis

There was a pretty slick stripped down white 630SMS with Marchesinis on SMJ, I think he was in CA as well.  He sold it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I did a couple hundred miles the other day and there is def room for improvement in the seat.

I need to adjust the fuel mapping a little as well. It bogs sometimes with a big throttle roll on. Should be a simple matter with that electric jet kit programmer it has installed
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I did a couple hundred miles the other day and there is def room for improvement in the seat.

I need to adjust the fuel mapping a little as well. It bogs sometimes with a big throttle roll on. Should be a simple matter with that electric jet kit programmer it has installed
View Quote

Is it a JD Jetting tuner?

Open that airbox a bit and it will wake up.  I popped some extra holes under the number plate and removed the snorkel, and put some course mesh screen over it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#36]
About 260 loaded up.  I was reading the owners manual about adjusting the forks and shocks but I'm going to have to sit down for a few minutes to decipher the broken english haha.

This is the tuner

http://www.electronicjetkit.com/

I've yet to open the airbox and see if it's gutted yet.  I'm about to order a suite of filters and gaskets because I don't think it ever had the break in service.  I may be confused here, but does the manual say to wash the air filter?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There was a pretty slick stripped down white 630SMS with Marchesinis on SMJ, I think he was in CA as well.  He sold it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually they are Carrozzeria wheels which they dont make for Huskys anymore.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
About 260 loaded up.  I was reading the owners manual about adjusting the forks and shocks but I'm going to have to sit down for a few minutes to decipher the broken english haha.

This is the tuner
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/

I've yet to open the airbox and see if it's gutted yet.  I'm about to order a suite of filters and gaskets because I don't think it ever had the break in service.  I may be confused here, but does the manual say to wash the air filter?
View Quote

The forks are only rebound adjustable from the factory (screw on top), but there are emulators out there for the Marzocci forks to add compression adjustment.
The rear Sachs shock is 4-way adjustable, but from what I've seen and read, you have to be near the ends of the settings to see any significant differences in feel.

Wash the air filter with something like dawn, then re-oil it with air filter oil.  Let it drain then reinstall it.

That tuner looks almost identical to the JD unit, including the housing.  The only difference I see is the GB/YB and RB settings.  On a JD, the GB and YB are the transition points between zones, and RB is acceleration enrichment.    Each step on the JD is a change to injection bandwidth of 3%.  I'm almost willing to bet that this functions the same way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want.  I've got a little ripple in the front wheel from hitting a bump a little hard at an angle.  No amount of hammering, short of damaging it, will take it out, so I just roll with it.  It's hardly noticeable and makes no difference in handling.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be a bit on the heavy side for the stock suspenders. Once you start pushing it, a respring/revalve may be the hot ticket.

FBI has a stellar rep for setting up the Husky SuMo's. I had ProAction do the work on mine, and they did an outstanding job, it's a whole new bike.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those wheels

You ever part that sucker out, lemme know!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Rolled up to Oregon yesterday to pick up the Berg FE650 I found for my buddy.   2008 with 1200 miles on it.  Berringer 6 pot and an Akro slipon.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Saw that on the book.  That thing looks awesome!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Mosquito Ridge Road,   one of my favorites,   600 something turns in 36 miles.    We use it as a loop with 11 pines, Wentworth Springs, 193 and 49.   It's a good loop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All I can think about is NPS rangers with radar/laser guns.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Does a SM at full lean have much of a radar return?  
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:49:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does a SM at full lean have much of a radar return?  
View Quote

Trust me when i say that plastidip is not a perfect radar-absorbing material
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#47]
loved my 610, didnt have a problem getting parts and kept its value.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Side note, hurry up and burn off those horrible stock Pirelli Diablos.  I could powerslide out of corners with those things, they never get hot on a light bike with ~50hp.

You would be amazed at the difference a good set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, PP3 or Dunlop Q2's will make.  Don't hesitate jumping to a 160 rear, you have a lot more options, and you won't run up on the sidewall like you can with a 150 on the narrow 4.25" rear wheel.

I'm always ripping around, and I get about 3k miles out of a PP3 rear, and I change the front every other rear.  I could probably get longer life out of something like a Pilot Road 3, at the cost of max grip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I kept kicking the rear signals climbing on the bike, so I picked up some ~$20 ebay low profile LED blinkers.
I stuffed the license plate up under the fender, mounted to the subframe right below the grab handles/tail rack, plenty visible, but might not fly in CA.
With those, and the LED signals in my handguards, I had to swap to a digital flasher relay, $14 plug and play from a KTM.

As for the tail rack, if you plan on carrying more than about 5lbs on it, you need to do this:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-630-sub-frame-mod.22225/

Or buy the braces premade here:

http://nomadic-racks.com/store#!/Husqvarna-TE630-sub-frame-brace/p/18006588/category=976078
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the heads up on the subframe mod.  $25 is prob worth it to strengthen that up.  I was planning to spring for something like one of those kriega US5 packs just to keep a couple tools and water bottle or something.

What handguards do you have with turn signals installed?  I've been perusing this thread and it looks like it could be a pretty clean mod.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-led-conversion-from-custom-dynamics.4130/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top