Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:09:27 PM EDT
2007 Mazda CX-7. Had "factory" (dealer) installed remote start. Was working fine, but I rarely used it. Moved to a colder climate this year and tried to use it for the first time. Gives 1 honk, locks the doors, goes to ACC prepares to start and doesn't even crank. Tries 5 times then stops. Security light is flashing quickly when it acts like it's about to crank. I've read that it's likely an immobilizer issue. I checked all the fuses, pulled the box, checked connections etc. the immobilizer lead from the main box seems to be sending signals to the immobilizer. I also checked the wires that go around the ignition module since I heard they're touchy. Don't look to have budged at all since installation. And finally I tried reprogramming the immobilizer. No dice.

Anyone have experience with these?  I pulled the immobilizer module out and it does the same thing so I'm thinking the module went bad. It's a $50 part so I wanted to see if anyone has experience with them before I order.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
2007 Mazda CX-7. Had "factory" (dealer) installed remote start. Was working fine, but I rarely used it. Moved to a colder climate this year and tried to use it for the first time. Gives 1 honk, locks the doors, goes to ACC prepares to start and doesn't even crank. Tries 5 times then stops. Security light is flashing quickly when it acts like it's about to crank. I've read that it's likely an immobilizer issue. I checked all the fuses, pulled the box, checked connections etc. the immobilizer lead from the main box seems to be sending signals to the immobilizer. I also checked the wires that go around the ignition module since I heard they're touchy. Don't look to have budged at all since installation. And finally I tried reprogramming the immobilizer. No dice.

Anyone have experience with these?  I pulled the immobilizer module out and it does the same thing so I'm thinking the module went bad. It's a $50 part so I wanted to see if anyone has experience with them before I order.
View Quote

Not a mechanic,  but my experience with factory remote starts is they are junk.  Especially when installed at the dealership.   We have two Toyotas that came with their VIP system that quit working in some shape or form within a few years.   I installed Audiovox Prestige systems in both that have lasted 5+ years with no problems.

The dealership wiring job was a joke on both cars.   Solder the connections,  heat shrink them,  zip tie wiring bundles correctly,  and buy a quality system and you wont have problems for the life of the car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a mechanic,  but my experience with factory remote starts is they are junk.  Especially when installed at the dealership.   We have two Toyotas that came with their VIP system that quit working in some shape or form within a few years.   I installed Audiovox Prestige systems in both that have lasted 5+ years with no problems.

The dealership wiring job was a joke on both cars.   Solder the connections,  heat shrink them,  zip tie wiring bundles correctly,  and buy a quality system and you wont have problems for the life of the car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On my last car I had the top of the line viper 2 way system so I hear what you're saying. I just don't want to spend that much and have someone who may or may not know what they're doing digging around in my car. Whoever did the original install did a decent job. Followed the manual to a T. Wiring was done properly as well. Their system is pretty stupid though, I will say. Oh well looks like I'll just take a gamble and order the module and see if it works. I don't use it that much anyways so it's not a big loss.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2014 cx-9 and got a remote start installed aftermarket.  They also had to instal a bypass switch maybe this is your issue?  Just a guess I really have no idea
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 2014 cx-9 and got a remote start installed aftermarket.  They also had to instal a bypass switch maybe this is your issue?  Just a guess I really have no idea
View Quote

No bypass switch on the factory ones. There's valet mode but you do that by turning the key, pressing the brake and the button. Horn honks 3 times. I already checked that too. Wish it was that easy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Your PATS interface module took a shit. Had the same thing happen on my 2001 Taurus a couple of years ago. Car would act like it started, but it never cranked at all. IDK about the one for your Mazda, but mine was only $32.00 for the interface kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top