Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 8:13:44 PM EDT
I think I'm going to be getting a 10 YO DR650 next week.  Super excited, I have never had a dual sport.  I was looking at the KLR & KTM, but found a deal I can't pass up & like the DR.  Anyone ride one?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
my brother has a 2012 DR650 and it's a great bike.  I've ridden it a few times and it's a pretty agile bike for it's size and has plenty of power... enjoy.

ETA:  I've owned a KLR650 and a KTM 625 SXC.  The DR blows the KLR away... but the KTM blows the DR away.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
the DR is a good bike, a bit more dirt friendly than the KLR, more road friendly than a KTM....ANY KTM thumper (Duke excluded).

There is a ton of aftermarket stuff for them and a huge thread over on ADV.

You will enjoy the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
DR's are solid bikes. Thumpertalk.com is like the ARFCOM of single cylinder motos, they have a dedicated DR section that will give you the heads up on the DR's idiosyncrasies.

The Neutral Sending Unit screws have a nasty habit of falling out and making their way through the oil passages, that's probably the only big known issue on DR's. Fairly easy fix
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I ride a '90 dr650.  Its big and heavy so I have a bit of a time keeping up with guys on actual dirt bikes. Good bike though.

I'm running substantially lower gearing than stock (14-46) and D606 tires. Those two mods have helped out a lot in the dirt.

Be sure to check out the dr mega thread in adv rider.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!  I think I will be about 90% road time, with a lot of those roads dirt and secondary roads (I live in the sticks).  I have a non street legal XR600 in the barn that hardly ever makes out out.  A big part of my reasoning is that my son will be getting his learners permit next month and I plan on picking up a small dual sport for him (XT225/XT250/KLX250) to start learning how to ride on the street and wanted a similar bike to pester him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the guys I ride with has one...little better on fire roads/trails than my KLR...but I make do.
Nice bike.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the guys I ride with has one...little better on fire roads/trails than my KLR...but I make do.
Nice bike.
View Quote

I like the KLR's a lot also, but I like $$$ best of all, so when I got a great deal on the DR I jumped.  Still don't have it in the barn, hopefully this week.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Great, solid bikes. Not the best at anything except running forever, but they are pretty good at most things.

Nice choice. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!  I think I will be about 90% road time, with a lot of those roads dirt and secondary roads (I live in the sticks).  I have a non street legal XR600 in the barn that hardly ever makes out out.  A big part of my reasoning is that my son will be getting his learners permit next month and I plan on picking up a small dual sport for him (XT225/XT250/KLX250) to start learning how to ride on the street and wanted a similar bike to pester him.
View Quote

Winning
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like the KLR's a lot also, but I like $$$ best of all, so when I got a great deal on the DR I jumped.  Still don't have it in the barn, hopefully this week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice bike.

My KLR has upgraded suspension which makes a huge difference off road and on. I believe from my impression there are more KLRs out there but there are lots of DRs too. So there will be plenty of parts.

If you can get a good deal on the DR then go for it. It will he an awesome bike.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Check out a DRZ400 for a first bike, reliable, cheap and capable offroad but not near as boring as a lot of the 250 dual sports.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Because this thread needs more pics,...

1993 DR650

1996 DR650
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the DRZ, but my son isn't very tall, I want him close to flat footed on his first street bike. Once he has a bunch of miles on the street, the DRZ might be in the cards.

Quoted:
Check out a DRZ400 for a first bike, reliable, cheap and capable offroad but not near as boring as a lot of the 250 dual sports.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
In late '04 I picked a barely used '04 model for less than $3k.  Been a good bike. I run it as a sumo sometimes with a GS500 front wheel and a wider rim mated to a stock rear hub.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2000 DR and it is tons of fun.  On true single track it gets to be a pudgy bitch, but for casual trails and back roads it is great.

FYI I rode my buddies DRZ and it's great but too darn tall for me. The DR is easier for my 5'9" frame to ride.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top