Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 3:22:26 PM EDT
Can someone educate me on Front end components? Truck in question is a 2001 Ford F-350 7.3l

My right front tire has outer wear on it and my truck pull slightly to the right. Also my truck bounces/shakes like a mofo right around 40-45 mph when 3rd gear kicks in. Can really feel it in the seat but also steering wheel. (This may be a seperate issue, not sure). Then it drives nicely smooth at around 60mph

I've been researching ball joint, tie rods etc etc on all the diesel sites with varying responses.

I should be replacing my ball joints and typically what else, track bar, tie rods etc? Truck has 114k miles.

Some guys said Moog joint had issues and so did XRF. I'm thinking of buying Dana Spicer branded ones.

What else will I need to go along with the upper and lower joints for each side?

I'll likely order the parts and have them installed by a shop.

This truck does have an 8ft snow plow as well.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 2002 F250 Super Duty and the front end was garbage. At least twice a year that turd was in the shop having front end work done on it. Had a tie rod snap while turning at an intersection. Lucky for me there was a repair shop at the corner I was turning at and the truck steered itself into their drive way. Replace everything on the front end now and you will replace everything again in a year. Ford makes junk front ends, sorry.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 2002 F250 Super Duty and the front end was garbage. At least twice a year that turd was in the shop having front end work done on it. Had a tie rod snap while turning at an intersection. Lucky for me there was a repair shop at the corner I was turning at and the truck steered itself into their drive way. Replace everything on the front end now and you will replace everything again in a year. Ford makes junk front ends, sorry.
View Quote

I was told that it was the best and Gm's IFS is weak junk...

Does it death wobble? I've had a f450 try to kill me on a curvy back road with that.

Check pitman/idler arms and wheel bearings while your at it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ahead and replace the ball joints and axl seals.

The ball joints are some what a pain in the ass to do.  Make sure you get the correct axel seal b/c for. Changed them in the middle of the year model in '02.  You might as well change your break rotors and pads while it's all apart.  Check your axel lockers as well.  I have an extra oem used one if you need it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does it death wobble? I've had a f450 try to kill me on a curvy back road with that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my GM IFS. Ford will have to seriously up their quality control before I ever consider buying another one. That V10 in it made it 60k miles before it had to be replaced
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
imo at the age of the truck and me not being there all i can recommend is a full rebuild with top quality parts like moog, timken, and  skf. not the autozone house brand stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
What's a full rebuild typically cost ballpark?

I think my best option is to have it checked out before I start throwing money at it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
http://fordsuperdutyparts.com/products/F350-Complete-Ball-Joint-Kit-1999-2004-4x4.html

I was going to buy his kit...But a lot of guys said Moog quality wasn't great on these.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip Moog the parts are not the same quality as before, and the price is the same.

For bearings (on anything) use Timken, for ball joints/tie rods use only XRF or Dana/Spicer. For U joints only use Spicer U-joints. I prefer long life permanent seal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top