Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 2:17:56 PM EDT
Guys, I'm just looking for some thoughts on what to do in this situation. I am not a mechanic, but I pretend to be one on my stuff and I'm well equipped.      

My bud is a mechanic and he ended up passing on an 03 Moutaineer that needed and engine due to a knock.   I spoke with the owner and got it cheap.  I have the bad engine out, took it apart, it broke a rod and threw it through the upper oil pan.

I located what I thought was a score of an engine from an 01 Moutaineer.  Took it apart to switch some things around ( 03 was a vin K flex fuel   01 is a vin E but should work)  Took the valve

covers off and it is plagued with sludge and the front left timing chain guide is broken with lots of slack in the chain.   I know someone who has the tools so that I can do the timing chain, but how

big of a PITA is it and would you put in an engine that has heavy sludge in the top end?    What would you do.  Reman engine  is a last resort as the vehicle is clean for being in MN otherwise I

wouldn't  have picked it up but the book value would be eaten if I spend that much on an engine. Timing chains are a known issue with this engine.     Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that there is stuff called "sea foam engine sludge remover". if you have it totally apart and can get to all the parts you can use that, or dishwashing liquid soap soaking on something can do amazing things too. but be sure to get it all off pretty sure it would kill your engine if it was in there and you ran it..*

* my mechanical ability is limited to oil changes, disc brakes, battery replace, radiator/AT cooler replace, bulbs, fuses, and cosmetic stuff.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Be sure to use the 03 flex fuel injectors.

Sludge is a bad thing on variable valve engines. I would see what a machine shop would charge to go through it for you.
You buy a gasket set and let them disassemble, clean, and advise you on it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be sure to use the 03 flex fuel injectors.

Sludge is a bad thing on variable valve engines. I would see what a machine shop would charge to go through it for you.
You buy a gasket set and let them disassemble, clean, and advise you on it.
View Quote

Ya  I read that the injectors and fuel rail need to be switched over but not sure why, any ideas?     The intake manifold is also different and will need to be switched.     The machine shop is where I'd be getting the tools to do the timing and he says he wants nothing to do with it ....... worries me a bit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What would you do.
View Quote

I don't know where you bought your engine from, or how many miles are on it, but... if you bought it from a reputable yard, return it. Find a cleaner one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Took the valve covers off and ... the front left timing chain guide is broken with lots of slack in the chain.  ...   Any thoughts?
View Quote

+1 to the last post..   Exchange the engine for another one..
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
First, try to find an engine that's in better shape; at least one without sludge.

When you find your non-sludged engine, put new chains, guides, and tensioners in it as a precautionary measure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know where you bought your engine from, or how many miles are on it, but... if you bought it from a reputable yard, return it. Find a cleaner one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would you do.

Friend of a Friend who was down on his luck with health problems.  They torch cut it out of there,  and dinged up one of the valve covers. Engine was in rough shape when I got it, I was hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took the valve covers off and ... the front left timing chain guide is broken with lots of slack in the chain.  ...   Any thoughts?

Not enough slack in the chain to skip a tooth, but there is no way that I would put it in without doing timing on it, but I never heard it run so maybe the damage is already done?

Edit:     The sludge is a complicating factor that really turns this off.  I was kinda expecting to do the timing since it's a known problem, but I don't wanna throw 400 in parts at it when it may be questionable due to the sludge.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems like there is no shortage of those engines. No reason to mess with a sludged up one.

http://www.car-part.com/
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Pull the pan, Then pull a rod cap a main cap and look at the bearings. They will most likely be wiped out down to the copper and scored. That will tell you if you should proceed with this one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pull the pan, Then pull a rod cap a main cap and look at the bearings. They will most likely be wiped out down to the copper and scored. That will tell you if you should proceed with this one.
View Quote

Solid advice and worth trying without much invested.  Might be a bit before I can do that, I'm a weekend DIY'er.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top