Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 12:15:27 PM EDT
Looking to buy a good general purpose torque wrench.

Considering a snap-on, but obviously pretty spendy.  I figured "one and done" sorta thing.

What other brands do you guys trust for working on your cars?  Anyone buy from ebay?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Harbor Freight....seriously.
Check on-line mechanics reviews...we even discussed here a few months back.

Everyday use wrench (wear and tear?) probably not. For my weekend/monthly wrenching needs, perhaps.

I own all three, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drives.

I'll add. I understand if some have issues with this HF crap and would welcome their suggestions for a good torque wrench to fit your needs.

Also, you may need to consider both in/lb and ft/lb so two wrenches.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everyday use wrench (wear and tear?) probably not. For my weekend/monthly wrenching needs, perhaps.

I'll add. I understand if some have issues with this HF crap and would welcome their suggestions for a good torque wrench to fit your needs.

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a HF torque wrench, and for as much as I use it, it works fine.

I don't do any professional work where it gets used 20x a day.

Now at work they supply us with Snap On, which gets run thru its paces, so more is required.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought these a while back and have been happy with them. Had good reviews and appear to be well made.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm happy with my craftsman click style torque wrench.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I threw out my click type craftsman torque wrenches and just use an old school beam type now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I threw out my click type craftsman torque wrenches and just use an old school beam type now.
View Quote

Same here.  The only click type I have left is Snap-On torque screwdriver for very small, precision stuff.  I dumped my clickers and went all beam type for everthing else.  2 different ranges will cover standard cars.  Some cars might need a third larger size (such as for my MR2 where the camber bolts need to be torqued to 288 ft-lbs.  Yes, you read that right, 2-8-8 no decimal!).
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this

Well hell... Here I am wanting to spend a stupid amount of money on some tools that'll drive the wife crazy, and you guys are telling me I could get different sizes and both a in/lb and ft/lb for the price of one nice Snap on....  

I really only need it this weekend to resolve an exhaust manifold leak on my Durango.  I plan on doing some mods to my GT500 and and planning to do a restoration to a '66 Mustang GT soon.  That being said I don't think it's going to see a ton of use, so this may be the route to go!

DAMNIT! I WANTED TO SPEND MONEY! Guess I'll go buy another gun....  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Bought these a while back and have been happy with them. Had good reviews and appear to be well made.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/jmadonia/f33d9944-1f73-4696-a386-d3322d519ddf.jpg
View Quote

Yes, the CDI torque wrenches are very good. Especially for the price. They're a Snap-On company.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well hell... Here I am wanting to spend a stupid amount of money on some tools that'll drive the wife crazy, and you guys are telling me I could get different sizes and both a in/lb and ft/lb for the price of one nice Snap on....  

I really only need it this weekend to resolve an exhaust manifold leak on my Durango.  I plan on doing some mods to my GT500 and and planning to do a restoration to a '66 Mustang GT soon.  That being said I don't think it's going to see a ton of use, so this may be the route to go!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

They are $12 each at HF with coupon now...stated accuracy is within +/-4%
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure I should ever be allowed into HB again....

I've always avoided it like the plague and thought of it as a chinese opium den.... but there were so many cheap ass things I wanted to buy!!!!

I caved and bought the jack stands I needed there too.  The groove is way too deep to use on my GT500, but for the price I can't beat it.

Got 3 torque wrenches, a rolling stool/tray thing for working on the truck on detailing the car, a new 4-way, and a set of impact sockets for an impact I don't even own right now.  I want to buy a decent impact, so I'll wait on that.

I don't think I'd ever think of that place first for a high use item, but damn there were so many random things that I'd use every now and then where the quality was "good enough".
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I only use the electronic Snap On units. Just checked my 3/8" on the truck this week. Dead on after 5 years of daily use.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Precision Instruments (Snap On OEM)

CDI
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Show my yours, and I'll show you mine!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/user/jmadonia/media/f33d9944-1f73-4696-a386-d3322d519ddf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/jmadonia/f33d9944-1f73-4696-a386-d3322d519ddf.jpg</a>
View Quote

I also have 3 of these, but looking back I should have went with the split beam torque wrenches on the 1/2 and 3/8 ones and stay with micrometer on the 50=250 in/lbs. I don't even know if they have a split beam for that low range but It is much easier to adjust the split beam. Both PI and CDI make split beams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top