Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Assholes searching for a solution to a non problem.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Save me government
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Too many idiots drive SxS's like idiots, crash, and then erroneously sue the manufacturer.  Stupidity knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What's an ATC?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's an ATC?
View Quote

All Terrain Cycle. Basically a three wheeled babysitter dreamed up by Honda in the '70s and '80s. People got hurt on them because they did stupid things on them. Like put your 5 year old kid on it and let him drive around the yard until the machine overturned and killed him. Then the parents sued Honda.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Too many idiots drive SxS's like idiots, crash, and then erroneously sue the manufacturer.  Stupidity knows no bounds.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  I would love to see an new XP1000 roll at 70+ mph and see how well the cage holds up.  I think its pretty stupid that the manufactures don't put 5-point harnesses in these things, especially the 1000cc models.  But goddamn they're fun.  Just gotta be smart about it, like most things in life
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

How many people have sued the manufacturers over this?

Links?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pretty much this.  I would love to see an new XP1000 roll at 70+ mph and see how well the cage holds up.  I think its pretty stupid that the manufactures don't put 5-point harnesses in these things, especially the 1000cc models.  But goddamn they're fun.  Just gotta be smart about it, like most things in life
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you looked at the American populace lately?

This is why we can't have nice things--People are idiots.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All Terrain Cycle. Basically a three wheeled babysitter dreamed up by Honda in the '70s and '80s. People got hurt on them because they did stupid things on them. Like put your 5 year old kid on it and let him drive around the yard until the machine overturned and killed him. Then the parents sued Honda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's an ATC?

They were hard to control/steer. They were pretty good down here in the swamps/mud.
I believe they were outlawed during the Reagan administration, not so much for the danger, but for import/export pissing contest with the Japs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I grew up riding a Honda Odessey. Basically a single seat, two stroke version of a modern SxS.  Except it had 4 point, full tube cage and no rear suspension.  I wrecked that thing....a lot . The final time, I was hauling the mail across a piece of land next to the family farm, those things topped out about 45-50, but you were low so it seemed like mach 3.  I hadn't ridden much on this land and I found a giant damn hole the hard way.   It was some test hole dug when the owners thought about building a house on it. I hit that thing at warp speed and got launched in to a rapidly decaying low earth orbit. I had enough time to contemplate the re-entry and eventual landing whilst airborne....it got especially interesting when I realized that my ongoing forward rotation was going to allow me the privilege of landing not on my wheels, but on the front bumper portion of the roll cage.   I hit pretty much vertically on the nose, then rolled end over end 3 times before landing sideways and going over once the really hard way.  

After I collected my faculties, assessed my injuries (all minor) and extracted myself from the vehicle I realized that the roll cage and especially the 4 point had saved my life.( no joke)  That machine was pretty thrashed, but a lot of parts and some welding later it is still running.

I agree real cages and real 4 or 5 points are required gear.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Funniest thing I've read all year on ARF.com

I too know of that awkward moment in flight where you mind seemingly cast free from its bodily confines contemplates the likely injuries it is about to find itself dealing with.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Funniest thing I've read all year on ARF.com

I too know of that awkward moment in flight where you mind seemingly cast free from its bodily confines contemplates the likely injuries it is about to find itself dealing with.
View Quote
Haha, it's funny now. I thought my mind was going to be permanently cast free of it's bodily confines at the time. I can still feel the weightless moment when I knew I was neck deep in shit.

Ripped all four tires off the rims, bent and cracked the roll cage, ripped the motor and exhaust off it's isolation mounts, the only thing holding it in was the drive belt, cracked the frame...shockingly only broke one fender.  Messed up the yoke style steeling wheel thing, I apparently had a pretty good death grip on it.  

I had some flesh missing on my hands..I'm pretty sure my spine looked like I had scoliosis...I had a big ole bruise where my full face helmet wacked me in the chest and the 4 point left tracks at pretty much every point of contact....kinda thankful it wasn't a 5 point!

Honestly I know I would have died on a normal 4 wheeler, and the results might not have been much better on the typical SxS.  Something like a RAZR might have been OK.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I grew up riding a Honda Odessey. Basically a single seat, two stroke version of a modern SxS.  Except it had 4 point, full tube cage and no rear suspension.  I wrecked that thing....a lot . The final time, I was hauling the mail across a piece of land next to the family farm, those things topped out about 45-50, but you were low so it seemed like mach 3.  I hadn't ridden much on this land and I found a giant damn hole the hard way.   It was some test hole dug when the owners thought about building a house on it. I hit that thing at warp speed and got launched in to a rapidly decaying low earth orbit. I had enough time to contemplate the re-entry and eventual landing whilst airborne....it got especially interesting when I realized that my ongoing forward rotation was going to allow me the privilege of landing not on my wheels, but on the front bumper portion of the roll cage.   I hit pretty much vertically on the nose, then rolled end over end 3 times before landing sideways and going over once the really hard way.  

After I collected my faculties, assessed my injuries (all minor) and extracted myself from the vehicle I realized that the roll cage and especially the 4 point had saved my life.( no joke)  That machine was pretty thrashed, but a lot of parts and some welding later it is still running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cages in the SxS are pretty weak looking, and without window nets many people especially passengers ride with a hand on the front bar, ripe to lose a hand or arm in a rollover.

I would add window nets and a Leatt brace or similar and you are good to go.  ATGATT
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I helped with a cage chop on a Teryx 4 and I was completely baffled at how thin the roll bar tubing was; like I couldn't believe anyone would sign off on the cage as a safety feature.  To properly reattach the cage, we sleeved it and welded her all up.  It had to strengthen the cage significantly but I am amazed at how they call these cages safety equipment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I helped with a cage chop on a Teryx 4 and I was completely baffled at how thin the roll bar tubing was; like I couldn't believe anyone would sign off on the cage as a safety feature.  To properly reattach the cage, we sleeved it and welded her all up.  It had to strengthen the cage significantly but I am amazed at how they call these cages safety equipment.
View Quote
It's all in the geometry. Triangulated support is key. As is round tubes, once they are dented or kinked they are junk.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Links?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links?

Tons:
The Yamaha Rhino roared onto the market in 2003, a new breed of off-road vehicle that first drew raves — and then, an avalanche of lawsuits
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's all in the geometry. Triangulated support is key. As is round tubes, once they are dented or kinked they are junk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100% on this, but the thin-wall welded seam tubing manufactures are using in these machines are a joke!  Like building a cage out of electrical conduit
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They were hard to control/steer. They were pretty good down here in the swamps/mud.
I believe they were outlawed during the Reagan administration, not so much for the danger, but for import/export pissing contest with the Japs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's an ATC?

Fail.

Dot gov at its finest.
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/84803/atv2006_3.pdf

On December 30, 1987, DOJ filed an imminent hazard lawsuit against the five major distributors of ATVs.

See United States v. American Honda Motor Co., Civ. No. 87-3525 (D.D.C).

On the same day, the CPSC and the five distributors entered into preliminary Consent Decrees settling the lawsuit.

Four months later, in April 1988, the Court approved detailed Final Consent Decrees with a term of ten years.'

Just one reason why gun owners shouldn't allow the CPSC anywhere near firearms.  

I can't stand 3 wheelers (they're for people who aren't skilled enough to ride a motorcycle).
I also can't stand a nanny-state government who "knows what's best".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree 100% on this, but the thin-wall welded seam tubing manufactures are using in these machines are a joke!  Like building a cage out of electrical conduit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 to one it's not called a "roll cage" by the manufacturer, it's probably called a "soft top frame" or some such shit.
I'll bet there's a big fucking sticker on the vehicle that states "soft top frame will not protect occupants in the event of a roll-over or crash".
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to read about some retarded shit Google up Consumer Product Safety Commission lead law motorcycles children.

The CPSIA, which went into effect on Feb. 10, 2009, banned the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under, including kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), that contained more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part that might be ingested.

Brought to you by Republicans working with dummycunts.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Honestly I hate side by sides. When we go offroad in my jeep on an actual difficult trail I have to waste time Unstacking all the rocks put in place by the tards that can't make it up a jeep trail. Not to mention a used jeep is still cheaper to own than most new side by sides and infinitely more usable.

But making them safer due to nanny government - not cool
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Links?

Tons:

The Yamaha Rhino roared onto the market in 2003, a new breed of off-road vehicle that first drew raves — and then, an avalanche of lawsuits

You and I have very different definitions of the word "tons".

According to your link, the Rhino came out in 2003, and as of 2010 4 of the 5 lawsuits filed were found in favor of Yamaha.  
I'm thinking sxs's have been around long enough that they aren't going to get "suzuki samurai'ed" off the market.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

According to your link, the Rhino came out in 2003, and as of 2010 4 of the 5 lawsuits filed were found in favor of Yamaha.  

I'm thinking sxs's have been around long enough that they aren't going to get "suzuki samurai'ed" off the market.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links?

Tons:

I'm not sure why you're trying to get into a pissing contest over this.  If you think there have only been 5 lawsuits, you have reading comprehension issues.  The 2010 article says that at that time, only 5 lawsuits had gone to trial against Yamaha.  Most lawsuits never go to trial.  Since that time, I've seen class action lawyer commercials on TV looking for people who were injured on a Yamaha Rhino.  From the 4 year old article:
"...Yet Yamaha still faces about 700 injury and wrongful death claims, and the early victories belie its huge legal exposure..."

I googled "Yamaha Rhino lawsuit" and this was the first article that appeared.   Why don't you do your own research and prove me wrong?

I think the lawsuits are the result of stupid people; SxS's are not inherently dangerous; I have owned one since 2008 and I've never had the slightest issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Save me government
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's an ATC?
View Quote

Old guy here.

An ATC is a Honda 3 wheeler.  The other manufacturers (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki) did not label or call their 3 wheelers ATCs.

I still have my Honda 350X.  Its "bad"  I've never flipped it over backwards.  I've seen people turn 4 wheelers over backwards (stupid automatic clutches and riders who didn't realize you need to drop gears to keep the revs up or it will disengages and let you roll back down the hill backwards - and then hitting the rear brake really makes a bad day).

That 350X is just scary awesome.  About 330 lbs. 6 speed manual.  Something like 11" front suspension travel and 8.5" rear suspension travel.  Hydraulic disk brakes front and rear.  Torque out the wazoo.  I finally stopped letting other people ride it when I guy ran it over the bank.  Lucky he didn't get hurt.  Swore up and down, at first, that he hit the brakes and they "just didn't work."  That thing will lock the tires up anytime, anywhere - hydraulic disk brakes front and rear.  Later, after a few hours, he admitted the acceleration/speed shook him up so bad he never hit the brakes and just ran it off the road and over the hill.  Probably how many such accident/injuries occur.  People get shook up, don't think/act clearly and make mistakes that result in injuries but just won't admit they did anything wrong.

It's the kind of society we live in.  People are never wrong (unless they disagree with the government.  It's always someone else's fault they couldn't drive their car safely, or fell down the stairs, or shot themselves in the leg/foot/hand.  As a society we do everything we can to keep stupid people alive, so they can breed more stupid people.  We spend thousands of dollars and risk the lives of others to search for people who go mountain climbing in a blizzard, or sailing in a hurricane, or canoeing/kayaking on a flooded river.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I've rolled cars, trucks, jeeps, four wheelers, and dunebuggys....but a three wheeler is the only thing I ever rolled at walking speeds on level ground
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad i got my scary assault sxs before the ban!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I would bet a whole lot of the roll overs are because people are trying to break the rear end loose and "drift" like they used to do on their quad. [even this old duffer can do that on his 4x4 750 Kawasaki] Problem is, you can't shift your weight and the center of gravity is higher.............so over they go and since they are perfect, it must be the machines fault.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Spend some time on Youtube.  Tons of morons doing moronic shit with side by sides............ and just about any other kind of motorized machines.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I was gonna buy a jeep but a few weeks ago i started looking at side by sides.

Can am has a turbocharged model with 120 HP
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Yamaha has a product update for Rhino's including doors to keep you from falling out, hand hold and arm loop for the passenger, rear wheel spacers, and removal of the rear sway bar to keep the inside rear wheel planted during hard turns.

The wheel spacers and no rear bar do an excellent job of keeping the wheels on the ground, but nobody can plan ahead for the things stupid people do.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yamaha has a product update for Rhino's including doors to keep you from falling out, hand hold and arm loop for the passenger, rear wheel spacers, and removal of the rear sway bar to keep the inside rear wheel planted during hard turns.

The wheel spacers and no rear bar do an excellent job of keeping the wheels on the ground, but nobody can plan ahead for the things stupid people do.
View Quote

Plus if you have ever been to glamis almost everyone after thanksgiving is drunk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top