Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 9:50:00 AM EDT
Been doing a lot of home renovations and have been using my '03 2WD Dakota to its fullest potential with transporting lumber, shingles and what not.

My township has an old quarry that people have turned into a dump, as well as a place for ORVs.

Well, one mans trash..............is now my treasure,  just need to get it out of there.  Cubic yards of blue stone (for my driveway)  and boulders galore (plan on building an outside fireplace off the deck)

Just wish I could fine a way to easy the strain on this aging truck's suspension.

TIA
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a trailer. Or if thats not possible helper bags that go between the axle and frame.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
buy a bigger truck
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Trailer
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thought about a trailer, but I do not have a hitch and there is incline I would have to traverse.  Not sure if my truck would be able to pull that kind of load.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
truck is too small, more springss and bigger tires and you will bend an axle with the load
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy a bigger truck
View Quote

This. You can't increase your truck's payload with helper springs, airbags, coilovers, etc. Those are just to LEVEL the truck when it's loaded. Your payload doesn't change just because you make it harder for your suspension to bottom out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do I need to increase my Dakota's payload?

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess I am making more trips......
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
some years ago I put coil over shocks and a set of helper leafs on the back of my s10.   Still had it sitting on the bump stops with a load of pressure treated     ( thankfully no hills between me and the lumber yard or the clutch probably would have grenaded )
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
More details on the truck? How much are you actually looking to haul? My 95 Dakota is rated for nearly a ton in the bed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
If adding a trailer hitch, wiring, and renting a trailer is too expensive than there is nothing you can do to improve the payload of your truck.  The trailer would be far and away the cheapest method.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If adding a trailer hitch, wiring, and renting a trailer is too expensive than there is nothing you can do to improve the payload of your truck.  The trailer would be far and away the cheapest method.
View Quote

Exactly.  A trailer hitch could be added for probably around $75...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an old Dakota, 1995?, and added a set of helper leaf springs for my camping gear needs back in the day...
I would suggest a search on these before going this route. My uncle gave me hell back then...said he had a buddy put a set on a pickup to haul a camper. Spring broke while kids/wife were in back. Injuries of course. For sure overloaded a  pickup not designed for that load...your mateial load?

Not sure if story is true, he is/was quite the bullshitter. They are cheap however.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
You can increase towing capacity by getting a trans cooler (the tranny is typically the limiting factor with towing), however I dont onow if you can increase the payload.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want to spend money to do it right you can increase the payload capacity.
You will require a custom narrowed axle out of a 3/4 ton pickup. Hangers for the heavier suspension, complete brake system out of the 3/4 ton. You will have to figure out how to mate the 3/4 ton suspension on the front end including wheel ends and brakes. Transmission cooler. Frame strengthening too. Then you use the wheels and tires off the 3/4 ton.

Or you install a trailer hitch, trailer brake control and trailer wiring, and drive sensibly.

Or you make more trips.

Or you get a 3/4 ton truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top