Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 1:58:47 AM EDT
Has anyone upgraded the high beam headlight or changed one on a 2015 Tahoe or suburban?  I tried a piaa super white 9005 and could not get it to align .
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A 2015?

What's wrong with the factory lights?
They go through great pains getting thr lights just right from the factory so they give you good coverage while minimizing blinding others.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 2015?

They go through great pains getting thr lights just right from the factory so they give you good coverage while minimizing blinding others.
View Quote

Yes, factory engineers (especially GM) always design a vehicle for utmost function, cost be damned. They employ the best materials and never cut corners in order to save a few cents per vehicle...and almost never suffer recalls or malfunctions as a result.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2013 Silvarado.  The stock headlights are the best I have ever had.   I normally switch out the stock lights as soon as I can.   I saw no reason to do that with the 2013.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, factory engineers (especially GM) always design a vehicle for utmost function, cost be damned. They employ the best materials and never cut corners in order to save a few cents per vehicle...and almost never suffer recalls or malfunctions as a result.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 2015?

I think the lights are just fine in my 2013 silverado and this is coming from someone who also owns a vehicle with xenon auto leveling and adaptive headlights which is pretty much the top of the food chain when it comes to car lighting.

Its the worst when you're out and about at night and some doofus has aftermarket lights on their truck and the color is jacked up or their lights are not adjusted correctly and they blind traffic.
But hey, they can see 5 feet further out then stock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, this is something that you should check before buying the vehicle.  And if it didn't meet your standards, there is always the upgraded headlights on the Yukon.

And to the guy that made a sarcastic comment about Gm not cutting corners, I think we can be fairly certain that GM didn't do so with these vehicles due to their cost.  I'm sure there is a lot of profit in there, but these models are at the top of their class in most if not all areas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not looking to put hid bulbs in it.  Just a switch to piaa super whites or sylvaia's version.  Since it's the high beams. They are not used often and especially around other drivers.  So blinding them should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you looked at HIR bulbs?

I ran some in an Accord once and got better results than factory 9006 bulbs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not looking to put hid bulbs in it.  Just a switch to piaa super whites or sylvaia's has charged version.  Since it's the high beams. They are not used often and especially around other drivers.  So blinding them should not be an issue.
View Quote

Those light aren't actually brighter, they usually just have a different color temp.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those light aren't actually brighter, they usually just have a different color temp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not looking to put hid bulbs in it.  Just a switch to piaa super whites or sylvaia's has charged version.  Since it's the high beams. They are not used often and especially around other drivers.  So blinding them should not be an issue.

I'm good with that.  Issue is that replacement is supposed to be 9005.
The problem was installation.  One bulb pointed at the ground while the other was so diffused that it was useless.
It looked to me like the factory sylvaia's were longer than the piaas.
I am looking to see if someone changed the bulbs and what did they use and how they did it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you looked at HIR bulbs?

I ran some in an Accord once and got better results than factory 9006 bulbs.
View Quote

I'm running HIRs in my Tahoe. They have been in there for 8 years! Great stuff.

Mike

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
What are HIR bulbs?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]

HIR (Halogen bulb with Infrared Reflective lamp) was originally designed/developed by GE. HIR bulb is designed to use filament to emit light as halogen bulb, which is coated with an infrared reflective film inside the glass capsule to reflect the energy produced by the filament back inside to re-heat the filament ... causing the bulb to glow much brighter than normal halogen bulb without increase more heat to the capsule itself.  The advantage of the HIR bulb is - it emits roughly 75% of the light output of the HID bulbs.

HIR Bulbs
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The problem was installation.  One bulb pointed at the ground while the other was so diffused that it was useless.
I am looking to see if someone changed the bulbs and what did they use and how they did it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last time I looked into it, Sylvania Sliverstars were top ranked for bulbs.  If you want to go brighter without blinding people, European spec headlamp assemblies will be needed.  They put more of the light (on low beams) on the ground.  I ran over wattage bulbs in these for years and when properly aimed, no one flashed me.

This site has a lot of good info on automotive lighting:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have hid low beams and they are great.  All I want to upgrade are the high beams.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top