BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2014 5:16:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of fuel lines does it have?
if it has the grey ones they will turn to a gummy substance that will cause all kinds of issues.

if they are the black rubber you should change them out if they have not been changed in a while.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
something I forgot to ask, how often does he ride it? if not very often he needs to shut the fuel off to the carb when ever he is finished riding. fuel sitting in the carb will go bad and gum it up too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd say once a month at the most.

View Quote
he should be ok on the fuel then.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Flat cam on the PO PO  real common I assume it is a 500 ho ????.

It is a easy fix once verified to be a Cam Issue.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What kind of fuel lines does it have? if it has the grey ones they will turn to a gummy substance that will cause all kinds of issues.
if they are the black rubber you should change them out if they have not been changed in a while.

View Quote

This,
I had a split line on our Sportsman 700 give me all kinds of headaches until I found it
Sputtering, dying on anything more than half throttle.
Rebuilt the carb, ended up being a vacuum line to the fuel pump with a small crack.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok. So while I was putting the valve cover back on I grabbed the sparkplug wire and boot. When I gave it a light tug the wire came right out of the boot. It was loose. Wonder if this is the problem?
View Quote

If it wasn't before, it is now
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lol. True. I trimmed the insulation  back to expose the wire. Turns out these are a thread on boot, so I threaded it back on. Reinstalled the fuel tank and fired it up. With no air filter it pops and spits but if you install the air filter and put the air box cover on, it runs awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. So while I was putting the valve cover back on I grabbed the sparkplug wire and boot. When I gave it a light tug the wire came right out of the boot. It was loose. Wonder if this is the problem?

If it wasn't before, it is now

Lol. True. I trimmed the insulation  back to expose the wire. Turns out these are a thread on boot, so I threaded it back on. Reinstalled the fuel tank and fired it up. With no air filter it pops and spits but if you install the air filter and put the air box cover on, it runs awesome.

IMO

that would point me to believe it may be an air fuel mixture ratio on the carb. the air filter is causing enough of a air restriction to get the A/F mixture close to being right.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone have any other suggestions? Comments on the cam before I button the front end back up?
View Quote

did you check the valve clearance while you were in there?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, ive never done that before.

Ill have to look that up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have any other suggestions? Comments on the cam before I button the front end back up?

did you check the valve clearance while you were in there?

No, ive never done that before.

Ill have to look that up

If it is a 2001 with unknown hours/miles on it. I will BET that may be the cause or a big part of his running issues.

Cold out of adjustment valves will wreak havoc, more, but close, as will warm valves.

Just for giggles, do you understand how the valves work?  In other words, how they play a part in the running and performance of an engine?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know how an engine works. I just have never adjusted valves before.

I did find a video on YouTube. I'll watch it when I get a few mins.
View Quote

my intent was not to come across as a smart ass.....sorry if that is what was implied.

Out of whack valves will give the same symptoms as a fubar fuel system.

I am not sure what valve system that thing has, but if it involves a bucket, it s more work, tapets are very simple.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Strike that. Didn't have the 2 dots on the cam facing upward. Move and readjusted.
View Quote

So it was the Tapet style.....good.. button it up and report back
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok, got it buttoned up.

It started right up. Idles good and only has a slight hesitation when you go from idle to full throttle. If you ease into it there is no hesitation. Also, there is no popping or spitting.

I also found a loose ground wire that goes from the motor to the chassis. I got that really crimped and soldered.

I am waiting on a drive belt before I test ride it. The onld one was marginal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strike that. Didn't have the 2 dots on the cam facing upward. Move and readjusted.

So it was the Tapet style.....good.. button it up and report back

Ok, got it buttoned up.

It started right up. Idles good and only has a slight hesitation when you go from idle to full throttle. If you ease into it there is no hesitation. Also, there is no popping or spitting.

I also found a loose ground wire that goes from the motor to the chassis. I got that really crimped and soldered.

I am waiting on a drive belt before I test ride it. The onld one was marginal.

Good deal on the starting right up.

As for the above, is this a single carb or something else?

If it is a single, it sounds like the air mix screw is out of whack....just slightly.

GENERALLY, the  air mix is from 1.50 turns to 2.5.

IIRC MT is about 3-4k feel on most of the flat spots.

I would set it at 2 turns out and go 1/4 turn in either direction until it is GTG.  Only drawy back is if you live near the babnanna belt, turning that screw will become SOP.

All of my carb'ed bikes have done very well @ 2.25 turns out up to about 6500'..... highest peak on the east coast was about.....7500'.
MY experience a well tuned carb (sea level settings) will do pretty damned good up to 8000' or slightly less.

You got any pix of this contraption?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey I just got back in to this thread. Polaris 500 has to have the air box lid on it to run properly IT WILL NOT RUN FOR SHIT WITH OUT IT    hence the popping and sputtering you get with the lid off.  It does not matter if you have a air filter on the intake or not it has to have the lid on it..  

As for the bad cam if you roll the engine over you will see the galling and the trashed rocker arms and cam lobes if that is not the case you maybe lucky.

Pm your # I can call you and help Via The phone.  Spent may hours with Polaris,   Lots of tricks on them guys Plus I built them for 10 years.   Owned many of them One damn tuff machine.

Jaime
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Drive belt showed up this afternoon. I got the 4 wheeler all put back together and took it for a spin. It ran like a champ. No hesitation, just smooth.
View Quote

Yeah, well, gues what, ya bastage.

Mine Sprint is getting a new engine and it is all YOUR fault!

(P.S. What part of the Fantastic State of Montana do you live in?)

One of these days I WILL live in the Babnanna Belt
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

New engine hunh? How much is that running you?

I live in south central MT. Billings to be exact. Not born here but grew up here since I was 1. Ill never leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drive belt showed up this afternoon. I got the 4 wheeler all put back together and took it for a spin. It ran like a champ. No hesitation, just smooth.

Yeah, well, gues what, ya bastage.

Mine Sprint is getting a new engine and it is all YOUR fault!

(P.S. What part of the Fantastic State of Montana do you live in?)

One of these days I WILL live in the Babnanna Belt

New engine hunh? How much is that running you?

I live in south central MT. Billings to be exact. Not born here but grew up here since I was 1. Ill never leave.

$1,077

Complete engine, minus stator and stator cover. Boutght those too, so by the time I drive to Dallas and back to houston, about $1400.

I would part the bike out, if I did not know how to turn a wrench. it would be close to 3K to have someone else to the work.

Once I get that motor in, I will tear the other one down (broke sparkplug), and do a complete overhaul.

See what is close to out of spec, and stuff i KNOW will need replacing. Rings, Head gasket will beed to be done anyways once the head comes off, going to put a different 6th gear in it.
Not going to do any performance mods......no need to, the sumbitch goes 160mph anyways Fast i have seen (GPS) is 159.8mph.

Between the two motors, I shoudl get 1/4 million miles out of it
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yes it is a 500ho.

I'll have to Google flat cam as I am not aware of it.

I have it in the shop now. I had to use a battery charger to get it to start. Once it is warmed up it seems to Rev up with no issues. If you flog it and let off the throttle and flog it again, it does pop/spit a little.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Flat cam on the PO PO  real common I assume it is a 500 ho ????.

It is a easy fix once verified to be a Cam Issue.

Yes it is a 500ho.

I'll have to Google flat cam as I am not aware of it.

I have it in the shop now. I had to use a battery charger to get it to start. Once it is warmed up it seems to Rev up with no issues. If you flog it and let off the throttle and flog it again, it does pop/spit a little.

Mine was doing exactly this and I fucked with a long time certain it was fuel related. It was a bad battery. Replaced it and it ran like a top.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top