Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
This is just my $0.02.

Since the front diff is going to be apart anyway, put in a locker. Now here is the catch...ONLY put in a selectable locker. Eaton and ARB come to mind. You DO NOT WANT AN AUTOLOCKER ON A DAILY DRIVER, ESPECIALLY IN  THE FRONT DIFF.

IF you can't afford the extra cost of a selectable locker, do not even bother putting one in. Have fun taking sharp turns on asphalt.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have driven a jeep quite a bit on snow AND ice (we get ice storms) with a lunchbox up front and briefly with a spool in back.

Handling was outstanding on slick snow covered ice and pavement. Remember a lunchbox is only locked when a certain amount of torque is being applied into it. If you need it to unlock all one needs to do is lift their foot or give the clutch a stab, which honestly is something I never had to do

Since the OP has a dodge that means he has a center axle disconnect. This oft misunderstood piece of equipment renders a lunchbox invisible in 2wd  and if properl manipulated gives the owner a 3wd option.  I personally would put the lunchbox in the front EVERY TIME over the rear first as the improvement in traction and ability is transformative.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Front and rear ARB air lockers for the win!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like dedicated snow tires and snow chains would be better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lockrite will not lock unless its under power PERIOD, and if its under power its ALWAYS locked unless traction is high enough to allow one wheel to overdrive the other in a turn(in which case it will ratchet, similarly to a differential, this doesnt happen much.). So it will not have ANY implications whatsoever if hes in 2wd.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A lockrite will not lock unless its under power PERIOD, and if its under power its ALWAYS locked unless traction is high enough to allow one wheel to overdrive the other in a turn(in which case it will ratchet, similarly to a differential, this doesnt happen much.). So it will not have ANY implications whatsoever if hes in 2wd.

I had one in for 13 years, don't tell me how they work. If one wheel spins faster then the other, it locks up. They actually work pretty damn good for the money but I still wouldn't stick one in the front end for road use on snow and ice.

he's got you there.
the "cheap" lunch box lockers are always locked, power on or not. putting power on them merely ensures that they stay locked. they are designed so that one wheel can spin fast than the other, unlocking the drivers, when making a turn and letting off the power(coasting), staying on or getting on the power through a turn will keep locked or relock it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran a locker in the front of my rock crawler CJ and my 3/4 ton Chevy mud truck.....I got REALLY good at changing axle shafts in both of them

The traction was amazing though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd do a selectable up front. Steering will become ... interesting with a non selectable traction aid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd do a selectable up front. Steering will become ... interesting with a non selectable traction aid.
View Quote

Everyone likes to say this, but no one likes to back it up with anything.

The ONLY time I have issues steering the front is when I am doing a tight turn on hot slick rock and my tries have tons of sticky traction.  Even then it is a simple disengage, turn, and engage.

I don't believe the OP is worried about having too much traction on hot rocks or asphalt so it's probably a non issue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
All this arguing and bullshit over a simple question.  

OP, you're in Florida so I'm thinkin you're just looking to be able to get through some sand and maybe a little mud. Amiright?

If so, the Lock-Rite or the Tru-trac will do exactly what you need with the least adverse effects on driveability.

Go look at each and see how they actually work.  

ETA

I have a 79 Ford F 150 with a Powertrax in the rear and a Tru-Trac in the front. It drives completely normal in all conditions until a wheel slips.

Then, I hear a little "click" and any wheel spin is gone. And so am I.  

With all 4 wheels pulling, you're gonna be a hard cat to clean after.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP, you're in Florida so I'm thinkin you're just looking to be able to get through some sand and maybe a little mud. Amiright?

If so, the Lock-Rite or the Tru-trac will do exactly what you need with the least adverse effects on driveability.

ETA

I have a 79 Ford F 150 with a Powertrax in the rear and a Tru-Trac in the front. It drives completely normal in all conditions until a wheel slips.

View Quote

I'm not living in florida at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The ONLY time I have issues steering the front is when I am doing a tight turn on hot slick rock and my tries have tons of sticky traction.  Even then it is a simple disengage, turn, and engage.

I don't believe the OP is worried about having too much traction on hot rocks or asphalt so it's probably a non issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but what kind of snowy, slushy road conditions at 65mph have you experienced in NM?  How many months did it last and how many times did you commute in it with a 4x4 truck with an open front differential, then with a truck with a locked front?

The OP is not building a snow wheeling rig, he's not building a drift basher, and he's likely not tooling about exclusively at 15mph and under.  Having the front tires lock unpredictably at highway speeds due to a change in terrain without an equally lightning-fast change in throttle input could mean a very serious, and potentially unrecoverable "oh shit" moment.

Spare me the "if you can drive 60 you don't need 4x4" argument, because it's logically inconsistent. Suggesting that he add a traction aid that he has NO direct control over in a vehicle that will see highway speeds and varied conditions as a daily or semi-daily driver is borderline insanity.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My god this thread is full of retards.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA

View Quote

A Tru Trac is a LSD type differential. It is a nice choice for a front axle as it is not a true locker.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No offense, but its just not a legitimate concern because it doesn't happen with modern lockers.
View Quote

You've already stated that throttle input/load, along with slip, is the catalyst for lockup; please describe how you would drive a lunchbox at highway speeds, when you hit a giant pile of slush that fell off the blade of a plow, right before an S turn.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many winters have you commuted in 4x4, for how many months at a time, average mileage and at highway speeds?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How many winters have you commuted in 4x4, for how many months at a time, average mileage and at highway speeds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the whole thread before you spout off and say more retarded stuff.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't put a locker in the front of a Dodge unless it's a manual locker like a ARB or Eaton E-locker.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have you ever actually driven one in those conditions or are you just spewing shit you've read on stupiddutyforum.com?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No offense, but its just not a legitimate concern because it doesn't happen with modern lockers.

You've already stated that throttle input/load, along with slip, is the catalyst for lockup; please describe how you would drive a lunchbox at highway speeds, when you hit a giant pile of slush that fell off the blade of a plow, right before an S turn.

Have you ever actually driven one in those conditions or are you just spewing shit you've read on stupiddutyforum.com?

I regularly commuted 45mi in the exact conditions I mentioned for a few years.  That's why I specifically mentioned them.

I've also played with front lockers in the snow a handful of times, but never on a commute.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part about being in Wyoming and building completely custom rigs (and wrecking them), or the part about not ever hitting patches of ice at 70?  Have you never driven the interstate with hundreds of miles of completely dry road, only to pass underneath that one bridge whose shadow prevented the ice from melting, leaving a 20-30ft patch of "oh shit?"  

Sorry man but sometimes people have shit to do and places to go.  70mph is a perfectly acceptable speed, conditions and equipment permitting.

Lockers don't fall into that "equipment permitting" category.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#23]
It's clear that both of you are experienced wheelers, and probably do have the capability to drive a vehicle with a lunchbox on a front axle safely.  My position is that, no matter how you want to cut it, it will change the driving characteristics, and instead of making recovery from low traction situations lethargic and gradual, you're trading that for a very strong and quick response, which has the potential to be very dangerous if someone isn't expecting it.

If the guy wants to try and drive a truck with a lunchbox up front, then fine. It's his prerogative. But suggesting that it's not a big deal, offers major traction advantages and will be fine for highway use is downplaying the potentially drastic change in characteristics to say the absolute least.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A Tru Trac is a LSD type differential. It is a nice choice for a front axle as it is not a true locker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Exactly.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not asking if you've commuted in the snow. I'm asking a specific question, which is if you've got experience driving a 4wd vehicle equipped with a "lunchbox" mechanical front locker for extended periods of time in the ice&snow. Sounds like the answer is no or very little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not asking if you've commuted in the snow. I'm asking a specific question, which is if you've got experience driving a 4wd vehicle equipped with a "lunchbox" mechanical front locker for extended periods of time in the ice&snow. Sounds like the answer is no or very little.

Very little.

Quoted:
Have you ever actually experienced this mystical and scary event where the front locker causes the rig to go flying off the road?

Yep, pulled me right into the drainage ditch... very quickly.

Quoted:
On the freeway I drive normal, lay off the gas if i'm changing lanes or going through slush. Stuff that you do in a normal vehicle in those conditions. It just does not happen. Not when fooling around and not when driving normally.

Sure, what you're describing is normal, however accidents happen when the conditions go from normal to unusual very quickly.   Depending on the skill level of the driver, and other conditions that exist at the same time, it could be a very dangerous situation that would likely not be helped by a front traction aid.  

Quoted:
Follow up question:

Are you guys seriously pushing the position that over steer is less dangerous? If anything the front locker is gonna understeer. If you get into the gas a rear locker WILL send you off spinning from power oversteer a lot easier.

I'm far more confident in my ability to fix oversteer than understeer, and have done so at speed more times than I'd like to remember; you get pretty good at it when your car is a 400hp RWD sedan with a LSD and summer tires; off throttle, very minimal wheel input into your slide, and it'll come back in line 99% of the time.

When understeering it's basically a lost cause; turn in, turn out, no throttle, or throttle, you're mostly fucked until you find traction.   While losing traction in my FWD winter beater with snows is a LOT harder to begin with, once it's lost, regaining it is a bear.

Would you feel comfortable putting your wife behind the wheel of a truck with a locked front, and sending her off with an assurance that it's "just how it was before, only a little different?"
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Well, if your usage will be as posted earlier, the units  mentioned are the way to go.

You said you wanted something good on the street and some help with some mild off-roading.

A true locker in front is best avoided in all but competition as they WILL cause steering issues and wear front end stuff prematurely.

Some of us have actually been doing exactly what you say you want to do for many years and we know what works and lasts with the least amount of maintenance.

But hey, whatever blows yer dress up.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You do realize that front locker does to apply power or provide traction when 4wd is not engaged right? They don't work like that.  

It wont wear stuff out much faster as long as you aren't doing wheel hopping rock burn outs in 4low, that's a completely line of bs.

There is some merit to the fact that it will fight you a little bit under a high traction scenario but its easily overcome, and sometimes even desirable (front dig situations)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Well, if your usage will be as posted earlier, the units  mentioned are the way to go.

You said you wanted something good on the street and some help with some mild off-roading.

A true locker in front is best avoided in all but competition as they WILL cause steering issues and wear front end stuff prematurely.

Some of us have actually been doing exactly what you say you want to do for many years and we know what works and lasts with the least amount of maintenance.

But hey, whatever blows yer dress up.  

You do realize that front locker does to apply power or provide traction when 4wd is not engaged right? They don't work like that.  

It wont wear stuff out much faster as long as you aren't doing wheel hopping rock burn outs in 4low, that's a completely line of bs.

There is some merit to the fact that it will fight you a little bit under a high traction scenario but its easily overcome, and sometimes even desirable (front dig situations)

When I say locker, I'm talking about welded spiders or spools and such. Anything that, when engaged, locks the axles together and keeps them that way until it either breaks itself or is mechanically disengaged. We used locked front ends in our pulling trucks but found them to be a pain in the ass for much of anything else. I can see where a mud buggy might make good use of one though. Our yard wrecker had a locked front end and chains on it but we always kept one side unlocked because it was such a painn in the ass with both hubs locked.

Anything that will ratchet or otherwise allow the axles to monentarily de-couple will be fine. As I imagine you know, throttle and torque load can do much to control the function on the Powertrax and Tru-trac.

Any posi unit in the front or rear will change the handling character of a vehicle on solid ice. Throttle control is key and lateral force must be minimized by speed and smoothness of control input.

OP spoke of Lock-rite. This would suffice for his stated purpose. A Tru-Trac is a more refined, smoother unit but that refinement comes with additional cost.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#32]
What? You gonna tell me that all your buds run high dollar air lockers and Detroit lockers and such.

I'm sure none of your buds ever welded a set of spiders in an old 'Yota or Jeep, right?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way but, you're username is appropriate after reading this statement

View Quote

When I make fun of hillbillys I make sure to use the right version of your
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top