User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:51:38 PM EDT
WTF Aamco?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How much for used one out J-Yard? ...I mean auto recycle/salvage yard?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Cadillac tax.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Differential work is expensive and is not something your average joe wrench cranker is going to be familar with.

That's probably a little high but you are also factoring in disassembling most of the front suspension too
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds a bit much.     Get another quote or pick up a salvaged one.  

Is it compatable with Chevy parts?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

apparently not...according to mr. aamco
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What exactly is wrong with it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

AFAIK, it made a lot of noise.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pricey.

I could buy nitro gears and an air locker for less than that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Differential work is expensive and is not something your average joe wrench cranker is going to be familar with.

That's probably a little high but you are also factoring in disassembling most of the front suspension too
View Quote

No your not disassembling much.  OP find a new shop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've rebuilt the front diff on my Tahoe.  Not sure what the difference would be on an Esky; other than it's full time AWD, so no actuator, correct?

On mine, the diff carrier bearings were shot.  Not a hard job; but took me a while as I'd never done that kind of work before.  Had to buy a special tool to turn the diff carrier bearing adjusters to get preload on them - it's not like a rear diff.

But yeah, $2800 is way too expensive.  Should be under $1000 IMHO...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the second shop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've rebuilt the front diff on my Tahoe.  Not sure what the difference would be on an Esky; other than it's full time AWD, so no actuator, correct?

On mine, the diff carrier bearings were shot.  Not a hard job; but took me a while as I'd never done that kind of work before.  Had to buy a special tool to turn the diff carrier bearing adjusters to get preload on them - it's not like a rear diff.

But yeah, $2800 is way too expensive.  Should be under $1000 IMHO...
View Quote

The Yukon parts are priced much less.  Supposedly, the caddy part numbers are much more.  2 separate mechs said they were not interchangeable though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem discovered.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Price some used units here.

http://www.car-part.com/
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Year?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Way to high.  I had front and rear new gears and a locker in the rear of my '06 Chevy 1500 for that price
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I would take it to a Chevy dealer & ask them for a quote.
See if they tell you that the parts (which are the same) are not compatible.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's part of your problem.

Look around for a real differential shop. I wouldn't even trust most dealerships with diff work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF Aamco?

That's part of your problem.

Look around for a real differential shop. I wouldn't even trust most dealerships with diff work.

My local guy said it'd be over 2 grand even with rebuilt parts.

When I called aamco, they originally told me 1600 to 2000.  Once he priced out the "cadillac" parts, he said he couldn't believe it.   He said the parts must be made out of gold!"  He sounded honestly surprised.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#21]
lol they're high as fuck.

It's got the same goddamned 8.25" front differential that every half-ton GM truck, van and SUV has had since 1988.  

Pull one from a yard and have your local 4x4 shop rebuild it.  I pay $200/axle for rebuilds at the one near me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#22]
for fun you should call them and ask what it would cost to rebuild the differential on a  2001 half-ton Chevy Silverado 4x4.  See what they say.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know what labor/book rates are in NY...

But out here, Aamco is generally much higher than finding a reputable local shop. BT,DT
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
With awd you don't want to run cheap gears.....you'll hear the noise.

That price seems high so I'd check around a bit. You'll need to know what all is effed up before a shop can give an accurate price though. If the spiders and carrier are toast that adds a lot of $ to the final bill.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]
supposedly there was water in it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I had my Trailblazer it had a front differential problem that was fixed under warranty - the tech told me it was because of a shitty design - unlike the rear differential it was apparently a two piece (left/right sides split down the middle) which can cause leaks if it wasn't machined perfectly. You probably have that same shitty design.

As for Aamco pricing - their rebuilt transmissions cost almost the same as a brand new one from the dealer (within a couple of hundred dollars) - if they're not going to save you a significant amount of money I wouldn't go to them.    

Also, GM is known for stamping different part numbers on the same parts (IE: certain Camaro engine parts had a different part # just to keep the Corvette guys happy) - so I would definitely call the Chevy stealership for a quote.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When I had my Trailblazer it had a front differential problem that was fixed under warranty - the tech told me it was because of a shitty design - unlike the rear differential it was apparently a two piece (left/right sides split down the middle) which can cause leaks if it wasn't machined perfectly. You probably have that same shitty design.

As for Aamco pricing - their rebuilt transmissions cost almost the same as a brand new one from the dealer (within a couple of hundred dollars) - if they're not going to save you a significant amount of money I wouldn't go to them.    

Also, GM is known for stamping different part numbers on the same parts (IE: certain Camaro engine parts had a different part # just to keep the Corvette guys happy) - so I would definitely call the Chevy stealership for a quote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trailblazer front diff work is a complete pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All there ifs differentials are 2 piece it's not a shifty design at all, I've never heard of leaking problems.  There far from being a weak link too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All there ifs differentials are 2 piece it's not a shifty design at all, I've never heard of leaking problems.  There far from being a weak link too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota uses the same design.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#30]
$2400 plus tax.
picking it up today.
fuck aamco
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
$2400 plus tax.
picking it up today.
fuck aamco
View Quote

well, look at it this way:  that's less than 1/2 as much (by $100) as I spent on my used Tahoe Z71....when I bought the whole thing
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
That is crazy .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Find a reputable guy that does them on the side. On our 4x4 forum theres a guy that does them for most the offroad shops in the area and he charges 200 if you bring him the empty housing and parts.

Most technicians either wont do them or don't neven know how. Especially at a stealership. And on the off chance they accept the work they will probably over charge you for a shitty gear install.

You really need to find a ring and pinion shop, drive line place, or rear end shop that does gear setups.
View Quote

It's done.
picking it up in the morning.

Worst part is I'm trying to sell the damn thing.
New escalade on lease to arrive soon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a rebuilt one for about $1300 shipped to me ups.  Easy to change and the picked up the core as part of the cost.  2004 Yukon Denali all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find a reputable guy that does them on the side. On our 4x4 forum theres a guy that does them for most the offroad shops in the area and he charges 200 if you bring him the empty housing and parts.

Most technicians either wont do them or don't neven know how. Especially at a stealership. And on the off chance they accept the work they will probably over charge you for a shitty gear install.

You really need to find a ring and pinion shop, drive line place, or rear end shop that does gear setups.

It's done.

Eh, add it (or most of it?) to your asking price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#37]
AAMCO pretty much got me started on working on cars. Lost second gear in my 85 glh turbo, took it to them and $1400 later I was riding around with a replacement that was a tall geared dog. Car was never the same. I did ask them for the old one so I could tinker on it. Replaced 2nd gear and all the syncros for less than $150. Glh was totaled before I could swap them. Realized how a poor high school student could save by fixing stuff myself.

So thank you, AAMCO, for getting me started working on my own vehicles. And fuck you!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I would love to see the breakdown of the bill op.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

No breakdown.
$2400 for parts - no labor.

+tax
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No breakdown.

+tax
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No breakdown.

+tax

Sketchy as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sketchy as fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No breakdown.

+tax

Sketchy as fuck.

LOL - they aren't going to give him a list complete with the Chevy parts #'s that they used.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#42]
OP I have some headlight fluid to sell you
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#43]
go find an offroad store near you.  setting up gears isnt something most regular joe mechanics do, but it isnt that complex either.  

if it were me, i'd just cut that shit out and SAS it for half of what they are asking to do the job.  if not that, i'd get a salvaged unit from a junkyard.  but i have a bunch of the specialty tools, welder, etc.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Did they at least give you a reach around? You could have rebuilt the diff 5x for what they raped you for.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm at a complete loss right now...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LOL - they aren't going to give him a list complete with the Chevy parts #'s that they used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No breakdown.

+tax

Sketchy as fuck.

Huh No one said anything about part numbers dude....its that they did the labor for "free" and charged tax on the complete repair.
I'm betting they go back and edit the final invoice.  OP go back and request a copy of the RO in six months or so. See if it matches the one you have.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Huh No one said anything about part numbers dude....its that they did the labor for "free" and charged tax on the complete repair.
I'm betting they go back and edit the final invoice.  OP go back and request a copy of the RO in six months or so. See if it matches the one you have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No breakdown.

+tax

Sketchy as fuck.

RO?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Repair Order
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#49]
OP, sorry that price was hurtful, but it is a major part of the vehicle.  
Obviously now it is too late, but I have some "chirpy" rear ends that gear fluid changes had helped quiet down.

Further, one of the first things I do now on my new 4wd vehicles is at around the first 1,000-5000 miles, change all of the diffs and transfer case fluids.  
You would be amazed how black/crappy most of them were .  One mechanic could not believe the color after just 1,000 miles.

I look at this as cheap insurance to keep the diffs up to snuff.

One benefit is I am *assuming* that they are offering you a warranty on the diff?  If you were to keep it, I would strongly recommend going back to them after a few thousand miles, and draining and putting fresh fluid in it (and your rear as well).
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Water or not, they see the white privilege ooozing from your pores.

I mean damn, you got a caddy, you can afford it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top