Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2014 5:20:21 PM EDT
Any oppionions?  Im going to buy on or the other this week.  The frontier seems like i get more options for cheaper but people love the taco.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have little helpful input, but I'll say that I have wanted a TRD Off Road Tacoma for many years.  They are perfect for what I need: great off road, nimble, easy to maneuver, haul and tow enough for me, not to mention that they hold their value incredibly well.  The Frontier will undoubtedly be cheaper and they are good reliable trucks.  My buddy said that his Frontier's turning radius is slightly smaller than an 18 wheeler.  

Rumor has it that an all new Tacoma will be released for the 2016 model year.  I've owned a Ford Raptor for just over 3 years (I mention it because of your username).  I love it, but the Raptor is tough to maneuver on the tighter trails here in PA.  I will most likely sell my Raptor and buy a new Tacoma when the next generation is released, hopefully around this time next year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any oppionions?  Im going to buy on or the other this week.  The frontier seems like i get more options for cheaper but people love the taco.
View Quote

What are you going to do with it?

I have a Tacoma TRD Off Road and an Xterra Pro-4X.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
both are great trucks.   Both have reliable drivetrains and perform about the same.
tacoma will have better resale value, but price tag is slightly higher for some of the same features initially.    Tacoma also has a bigger aftermarket selection if you plan on modifying it down the line.  Tacoma's interior seemed rather dated in comparison to the frontier IMO

that being said, I've been driving a FULLY loaded 2013 Frontier Pro4x Crew Cab in Night armor since april of 2013.  Couldn't be happier. 40,XXX miles on it already, just put a new set of BFG A/T KOs on it last week.
if you have any questions about the frontier, just PM me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Flip a coin.  They're pretty much the same in performance, reliability, and maintenance.  Only difference is cost and one has a cult like following.

My parents bought a Frontier over the Tacoma, they just liked it more.  And prior to this they had owned Toyota's since the 80's
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was just on the market for a new truck and decided to wait until 2016/2017 so I could see where the midsize truck market went. Right now, new tacomas are a good buy due to high resell/reliability/etc. but their power figures and fuel economy aren't great. I am not sure how the tacomas resell value is going to hold over the next couple of years as more midsized trucks hit the market, but I would wager it will hold more value than the nissan. If resell isn't an issue and you are planning on running it until it dies, I still think the tacoma would be the better buy because in that case who care about a slightly bigger payment if you can swing it. I just didn't want to spend +/- 30k for the last models of this truck generation without seeing what the next lineup has in store, but my vote would be tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Toyota TRD FTMFW!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a koolaid drinker...second Tacoma (2006 and now 2014  TRD Sport).
Great rigs, mileage not the best (17.5 town) the Nissan Pro-4X gets 15/21. Wish Tacoma would bring back the Gen I size for the next go around.
I did look at Frontiers back in 2006 when I bought and wasn't impressed. Didn't look this time.

I'll keep my 14 til about 2020/2022 and then look at 4Runners...because if Toyota does this I'm out.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Tacoma. This from a guy who owns a Nissan Titan. When you want to mod it (and you eventually will) the Taco has a HUGE aftermarket. Not so much for the Frontier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Both are awesome trucks.

Aftermarket selection, and great resale values make the Toyota the winner though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with the 4 door Frontier Pro 4X.  I liked driving it a little more than the toyota and its much cheapr.  I think i got a decent deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the 4 door Frontier Pro 4X.  I liked driving it a little more than the toyota and its much cheapr.  I think i got a decent deal.
View Quote

You'll love it. I bought a 2008 Frontier this past February because I couldn't afford a Tacoma in nearly the same condition for the same price. And I am happy with the Frontier, thing is a damn rocket ship.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If buying brand new, and you will eventually sell it to get another newer vehicle, I would suggest the Tacoma(assuming you can get one for invoice or around that price out the door)

If not, or you plan on keeping it "forever", you might want the Frontier.  It's cheaper to get into and cheaper if buying used.  I looked at both in 2010 and settled on the frontier simply because I couldn't justify the price difference on the Tacoma.  Sometimes I wish I had the Tacoma, if for nothing else other than the interior and exterior looks.  My wife on the other hand likes the Frontier much more.

I do have to say the Frontier is VERY capable of off roading and has plenty of power.  With a few additions it is pretty close to exactly what I want in a small truck.  It goes anywhere I need it to and a lot of people really like it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Get both.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Tacoma has a plastic bed vs metal on the Frontier, c channel frame under the rear vs a fully boxed frame on Frontier, drum brakes in the rear vs 4 wheel disc on Frontier, less HP than Frontier, and costs more than a comparable Frontier (When I bought my Frontier a comparable Tacoma was about 6k more). I vote Frontier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked it up today.  Pics tomorrow when it gets some mud on it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Taco or nothing
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Love my 2012 Frontier Pro 4x. Things has been great in the snow, and getting me up to my favorite mountaintop camping spot. I, like you, was in between the Taco and the Frontier... I'm pleased with my choice.

Can't wait to see your pics, man!

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
PRO4X all the way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought the Tacoma.  Test drove both.  Nissan dealer was a high pressure ass hat and the Toyota seemed to have better quality interior.  I plan on keeping the Toyota forever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the interior much better on the Tacoma.  Just feels and looks better.  The bed of the Frontier is definitely a better bed for doing real truck stuff, but the Tacoma is nice as well.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
My brother inlaw has pro4x, nice truck.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#23]
As a tacoma owner, I'm starting to lean towards a frontier as my next vehicle unless I get an fj or a tundra. They're pretty tempting when I can get the pro 4x version lightly used for less than $25k if I look around. Tacomas are great trucks, but they aren't the holy grail that many make them out to be. They have their share of problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top