Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 4:45:22 PM EDT
Just purchased a 4-dr Sahara with manual transmission.  When driving on the highway, the engine/transmission seems sluggish.  Driving in 5th gear is often problematic when driving up moderate inclines, requiring a downshift to 4th gear.  I have about 1600 miles on the  vehicle.  While is has the 282 HP engine with 260 ft-lbs of torque, this seems unusual although it is my first Jeep.

Any ideas, or is this commonplace?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just purchased a 4-dr Sahara with manual transmission.  When driving on the highway, the engine/transmission seems sluggish.  Driving in 5th gear is often problematic when driving up moderate inclines, requiring a downshift to 4th gear.  I have about 1600 miles on the  vehicle.  While is has the 282 HP engine with 260 ft-lbs of torque, this seems unusual although it is my first Jeep.

Any ideas, or is this commonplace?

Thanks!
View Quote

Does it have 3.21 gear ratios?  If so, that's your problem..  You probably should have optioned the 3.73 at the very least.. or bought the Rubicon with 4.10's standard on the manual transmission.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
How big are your tires, and what brand are they?

Jeeps are surprisingly heavy, and have poor aerodynamics.

They really, really could use another 70-100 lbs more of torque IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the most powerful stock jeep ever made. What if any mods does it have? And like posted above what gearing does it have?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the most powerful stock jeep ever made. What if any mods does it have? And like posted above what gearing does it have?
View Quote

I understand that fully; I stand by my statement though, it still needs more engine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

your post made me look it up. That's 285 HP at 6,500 rpm.

The HP curve I see says 150 HP at 3,200 RPM.

OP you need boost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I understand that fully; I stand by my statement though, it still needs more engine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer the other questions. I have a lower powered 2010 JK non u and have no issues and only weigh

about 500 pounds less.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with the poster above, what is your gearing? I have a 14 Rubicon manual w/ 4.10's and it moves pretty well for it's size.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OP you need boost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP you need boost.

This is the issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Heavy wheels/tires can rob a lot of HP.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP you need boost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP you need boost.

Minivan motors suck ass compared to an I-6, especially in low end torque delivery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
A sluggish jeep, no way.

You need gears or boost,  the reason jeeps, Toyotas, etc are always so 'reliable' is cause they have no power to hurt themselves.

What size tires are you running?

1. Look at the motor dyno chart, decide the tire size you want to run, go to grimmjeeper.com, and decide an axle ratio.

Or

2. Live with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
On a normally aspirated engine, there is no replacement for displacement, especially when it comes to low RPM torque output.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#13]
You bought a Jeep, get used to way of life in the right lane.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Jeeps are not built to go fast over even terrain.  They're built to go slow over extremely uneven terrain.  That said, if you feel like it doesn't have enough oomph, you can easily go to a place like 4 Wheel Parts and get a re-gear to like 3.7 or 4.1.

Me, I'm rolling 3.21 stock gears with 33's in my 2014 JKU and I just don't care.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find the opposite to be true. The newer Wranglers can move. Even my new Cherokee hauls.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol "my jeep is slow"   "Water is wet"    "Fire is hot" etc etc

Wrong forum for that answer...this is a tech forum, not GD so keep it correct.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
They might not have mentioned  when you bought your JEEP:
5th gear is  Overdrive.

You  wont be pushing wind, up hill  very hard at 1500 rpm.

small engines need to rev up  a bit more than that.

try a lower gear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They might not have mentioned  when you bought your JEEP: 5th gear is  Overdrive.
 try a lower gear.
View Quote

They have 6 speeds in the manuals
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jeeps are not built to go fast over even terrain.  They're built to go slow over extremely uneven terrain.  That said, if you feel like it doesn't have enough oomph, you can easily go to a place like 4 Wheel Parts and get a re-gear to like 3.7 or 4.1.

Me, I'm rolling 3.21 stock gears with 33's in my 2014 JKU and I just don't care.
View Quote

So they use V6's that don't even hit their power bands until 4400 RPM? When they had a I6 that peaked out at 4600 RPM.

I know someone who came off a YJ and bought a new 70th JK and said it was gutless…even my lifted XJ (with 31's and 3:55s) will out accelerate it.

I think it's actually quite sad that the Pentastar barely out performs my decade old 4.2…
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So they use V6's that don't even hit their power bands until 4400 RPM? When they had a I6 that peaked out at 4600 RPM.

I know someone who came off a YJ and bought a new 70th JK and said it was gutless…even my lifted XJ (with 31's and 3:55s) will out accelerate it.

I think it's actually quite sad that the Pentastar barely out performs my decade old 4.2…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the extra power higher in the RPM range is just from the VVT.  The 3.6 actually has an extremely flat torque curve.  200 lb-ft of torque comes in around 1,400 rpm and at 2,100 rpm its at 250 ft -lbs..  pretty much stays at 250 ftlbs until redline.  

So, 0-60 at or below 7 seconds isn't fast,  but it's plenty fast for a Jeep I think.  Don't think any XJ's were very close to that?

Offroad - I think 250 ft-lbs in the 2000 RPM range is fine.  Especially considering the Rubicon's are working with a 4:1 transfer ration AND front and rear lockers.  The D44's are strong,  but if you start talking 300+ft lbs or torque and just 32" tires and you're already pushing into the d60 range.

20+mpg

Overall good gas engine for the vehicle, I think.

Only problem with the op is I guarantee he has 3.21 gears.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The Engine is just fine and like I said the most powerful stock Jeep made. They have

been doing just fine since the beginning of Jeep with less power.

OP I do not see that you have answered the questions about the gearing, mods etc.

The jeep is not a sports car.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They might not have mentioned  when you bought your JEEP: 5th gear is  Overdrive.
 try a lower gear.

Yes, 5th is 1:1 gear and 6th is .84:1.  Hell, 4th is only 1.25:1.  It gives up higher gearing's mechanical leverage at speed for more low end grunt, hence the 4.46:1 1st gear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Engine is just fine and like I said the most powerful stock Jeep made. They have

OP I do not see that you have answered the questions about the gearing, mods etc.

View Quote

Actually, none other the Enzo Ferrari called the Jeep "Americas sports car."
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, Enzo might have been making a little bit of a joke, there.  Until the Fords whipped the Ferraris at Le Mans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, none other the Enzo Ferrari called the Jeep "Americas sports car."

Well, Enzo might have been making a little bit of a joke, there.  Until the Fords whipped the Ferraris at Le Mans.

Jeep…a term derived from a Ford designation. Where one of the most famous visuals aspects…was actually a Ford design.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a stock Jeep with the lower ratio.  I'm just getting used to the feel of it's performance envelope, and everyone has been great at offering ideas I may incorporate in the future.  I haven't yet explored the costs associated with re-gearing it.  Would a performance air intake/filter give me some boost until I decide to spend more $'s?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Would a performance air intake/filter give me some boost until I decide to spend more $'s?  

View Quote
No.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's a stock Jeep with the lower ratio.  I'm just getting used to the feel of it's performance envelope, and everyone has been great at offering ideas I may incorporate in the future.  I haven't yet explored the costs associated with re-gearing it.  Would a performance air intake/filter give me some boost until I decide to spend more $'s?  

View Quote

You mean lower number like a 3.21?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 2dr JK Sahara. The 3.6 with the 5spd auto and 3.73's feels plenty peppy for a jeep - but those peak hp/tq numbers are just that - peak. OP - if you've got the 3.21's; plan on re-gearing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Being a car guy I once tried my luck DD'ing a truck/SUV and I ended up being miserable.

The vehicle couldnt hold the same gear up a hill, had no acceleration, couldnt stop very well, almost felt like it would tip over around turns and the gas mileage was horrible
I dont understand how you guys can deal with this daily.

I would just want a cheap wheeling vehicle for the weekends. F driving it around all day, thats madness.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Being a car guy I once tried my luck DD'ing a truck/SUV and I ended up being miserable.

The vehicle couldnt hold the same gear up a hill, had no acceleration, couldnt stop very well, almost felt like it would tip over around turns and the gas mileage was horrible

I would just want a cheap wheeling vehicle for the weekends. F driving it around all day, thats madness.
View Quote

That's easy. The smallest vehicle I've ever owned was a Suzuki Samurai with a 8" SPOA lift and 2" body lift (wouldn't recommend the body lift). Since I was born, some one in my family has either had a XJ or a ZJ. I also got in a wreck about a month after I graduated high school...I stopped, the Mustang Cobra behind me did not, I rotated out of my seat belt and hit the steering column...there are very few cars/sedans I can sit in for more than 15 minutes before my back starts to hurt (I also have an extremely hard time getting out of vehicles that low to the ground).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy sell it and get a real jeep.

84 CJ7 makes you feel like a kid again

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Easy sell it and get a real jeep.

84 CJ7 makes you feel like a kid again

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/cjman_zpsebfbcf08.jpg

View Quote

Real Jeep? How about a M38?

Makes a great hog hunting vehicle. Just fold the windshield down and blast away.

Personally I've never seen a reason to get rid of my XJ. I actually prefer to drive it over my Trailblazer. Needs to have the R&Ps rebuilt though (maybe I'll upgrade it to 3.90s).

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I find the opposite to be true. The newer Wranglers can move. Even my new Cherokee hauls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im sure its fast... compared to your avatar.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Real Jeep? How about a M38?

View Quote

Nice!

But no room for the kids car seats in  the back.
Only the boy is mine. I think the neighborhood girls were trying to steal him and my truck

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the 3.2 scoots in auto mode. More so in sport mode. It's no V8, but had it up to 85 for the first time yesterday. Didn't realize it until I passed 2 slowpokes in the right lane, was getting ready to take my exit, then looked at the speedo. The 9 speed is pretty smooth for that type of acceleration.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, they do haul.  The only issue I've had is that 3rd gear seems sluggish, which was part of my original post.  Factory specs indicate zero to sixty in 8 secs.  Not bad, and I can nearly make that in first gear.

I've always enjoyed my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and while is served me well for so long, I like the Jeep brand.

I never expected it to be on a par with my 2002 Corvette.

Quoted:
Lol "my jeep is slow"   "Water is wet"    "Fire is hot" etc etc

So apart from this douche, I appreciate the comments from all of you!

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
4.88's will fix that problem.

In fact, 4.88's fix a lot of problems
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually, the 3.2 scoots in auto mode. More so in sport mode. It's no V8, but had it up to 85 for the first time yesterday. Didn't realize it until I passed 2 slowpokes in the right lane, was getting ready to take my exit, then looked at the speedo. The 9 speed is pretty smooth for that type of acceleration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly before I got my Jeep I had only ever owned 4-banger cars.  So in comparison, my JKU is not bad.  But it isn't fast.  And I don't care.  Why?  Because Jeep.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find that the easiest way is to not drive trucks with weak-ass engines in them.  

But seriously, the only pickup trucks I ever had any sort of issues on hills with were 4 cylinder Rangers that hadn't been maintained.   Trucks have come a long way - any new one that isn't a cheapo 4-banger should haul ass if it's not heavily loaded down, and even then a lot of them still will.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What it is sounding like.    My 13 with 3.73 and 6sp will easily cruise a trip between 80-90mph in 6th and get around 18mpg with stock size mud terrains.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Find the power band curve online and you'll see what RPM you have to be running compared to what gear.

Not Jeep, but there's a reason the PowerWagon has 4:56 gears. The Hemi doesn't start hitting peak HP and torque until around 5K RPM.

View Quote

I have still to figure out why they haven't put a 6.7 in that truck…to me the modern Powerwagon's are bastardizations to the originals though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What it is sounding like.    My 13 with 3.73 and 6sp will easily cruise a trip between 80-90mph in 6th and get around 18mpg with stock size mud terrains.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The big thing people don't really look into…over the last 10 years we've seen the introduction 6,7,8 and even 9 speed transmissions. Either way you look at it though, the OD gear radio hasn't really changed since OD became an option…some transmissions still make the jump from direct to over…others have added another gear in-between.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top