Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 3:04:44 PM EDT
Mentioned in another thread, but I'm looking for a more fuel efficient, small SUV than my current ride.

My tarket price is $30K and the new 2015 Subaru Outback seems to tick most of my boxes at 33/25 mpg. I have scheduled a test drive this saturday, but have been catching flak from familiy and friends for picking a "boring family car."

So, any suggestions for a "sportier" or more "luxury" car that will hit around my target price? All wheel drive and good fuel economy is a must, and used is okay too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Outback the official car of lesbians?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Mazda CX5? Any used AWD audi
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You cant go wrong with a Subaru ..

I prefer the Forester over the Outback though..  I like the more SUV/truck look over the station wagon lower rear.

What about the Crosstrek?  its very sporty lookign IMHO - but id go with the Forester

Brian
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would look else where since in real world driving you are more likely to see 23-25mpg highway than 30+ subaru way over estimated on highway MPG's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would look else where since in real world driving you are more likely to see 23-25mpg highway than 30+ subaru way over estimated on highway MPG's.
View Quote

If he's buying the four banger, I doubt that. We get high twenties on the highway with our 3.6, which is on par with what Subie calls for. I don't see a reason why the same wouldn't be true for the four pot.

OP......it's not a "cool" car but it's a great car. We have a 2010 (our second Outback) and it's been flawless over the last five years and 80k. Better in the snow than my Hemi Ram was, too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Old boss regularly got 30 on trips in his. Think it was a 12 or 13. He always though it was funny that it had more ground clearance than his suburban.

Every time I try to be realistic about what I could use it is at the top of the list. I like the crosstrek looks a lot better but the outback beats it in space.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
They are fun to pass people in lifter trucks in the woods with as well since they are damn near flat underneath and Primitive Racing in Tigard OR makes tube bumpers and skid plates for them. They are in the prototype phase for the 15+ at the moment. I had their skid on my OBS and that thing took a beating.

It isn't uncommon to see lifted Subarus around here.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mentioned in another thread, but I'm looking for a more fuel efficient, small SUV than my current ride.

My tarket price is $30K and the new 2015 Subaru Outback seems to tick most of my boxes at 33/25 mpg. I have scheduled a test drive this saturday, but have been catching flak from familiy and friends for picking a "boring family car."

So, any suggestions for a "sportier" or more "luxury" car that will hit around my target price? All wheel drive and good fuel economy is a must, and used is okay too.
View Quote

Mazda CX-5 2.5.  Similar fuel economy to the subaru, but significantly faster/sportier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mazda CX-5 2.5.  Similar fuel economy to the subaru, but significantly faster/sportier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no doubt it is faster but isnt it quite a bit smaller too??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slightly, but still comparable regarding passenger/cargo volume.

subaru:

Passenger volume
108.1 cubic feet (with available moonroof: 104.5 cubic feet)
Cargo volume
35.5 cubic feet
Maximum cargo volume
73.3 cubic feet with rear seat lowered

Mazda:

EPA passenger volume (cu ft, without moonroof) 103.8 103.8 Not Available
EPA passenger volume (cu ft, with moonroof) Not Available 102.3 102.3
EPA cargo volume, rear seatback up/folded (cu ft) 34.1 / 64.8 34.1 / 65.4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I am surprised it is that close. With as long as the outback is I would have figured it had a lot more room in the back for gear.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am surprised it is that close. With as long as the outback is I would have figured it had a lot more room in the back for gear.
View Quote

That is the great thing about certain crossovers, they are shorter overall but are able to accommodate a lot inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top