Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 3:53:57 AM EDT
I've narrowed down my choices for my next vehicle and one of them is the toyota 4runner. I'm specifically looking at low mileage 2010-present year models and the new ones. I know a little about them just from what I've read on the forums, but I have a few questions.

If I buy a used one, how can I tell whether it has kdss or xreas(or whatever it is)? I'd prefer to get one without it. If I understand correctly, the trail is the only model that has kdss as an option, correct? Do all models have xreas as an option?

I'd prefer not to have to perform the body mount chop, but if I have to, I will. What are my chances of running a 2-3" lift with 33"ish tires and no bmc?

How well does the 4runner do on the highway with larger tires? When driving into the wind I have to drop my tacoma out of overdrive and into third in order to maintain a constant speed. I don't want this with a 4runner and prefer to use stock gears for a while.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my $.02

You may want to seriously consider a later model, low mileage 4th gen over a current 5th gen? Why, because the 5th gens really have no advantage over the 4th gens other then if you happen to prefer their looks? 4th gens have a V8 option which would take care of your power concerns. Even if you stick with the V6, the 4th and 5th gens have the same motor but it will very a little peppier in the 4th gens because they are lighter. Seems like most people who've traded their 4th gen for a 5th gen later regretted it because the 5th gens just seem cheap (quality wise) compared to the 4th's.

I can't answer your suspension Q's about the 5th gens but on the 4th gens, just about all "Sport" models and some of the "Limited" model got the xreas. No SR5's have it but if you plan to lift it, that's not a big deal anyway depending on the type of lift you want? 32-33" tires are very do-able w/3" lift and no bmc but their is lot of variables here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's my $.02

You may want to seriously consider a later model, low mileage 4th gen over a current 5th gen? Why, because the 5th gens really have no advantage over the 4th gens other then if you happen to prefer their looks? 4th gens have a V8 option which would take care of your power concerns. Even if you stick with the V6, the 4th and 5th gens have the same motor but it will very a little peppier in the 4th gens because they are lighter. Seems like most people who've traded their 4th gen for a 5th gen later regretted it because the 5th gens just seem cheap (quality wise) compared to the 4th's.

I can't answer your suspension Q's about the 5th gens but on the 4th gens, just about all "Sport" models and some of the "Limited" model got the xreas. No SR5's have it but if you plan to lift it, that's not a big deal anyway depending on the type of lift you want? 32-33" tires are very do-able w/3" lift and no bmc but their is lot of variables here.
View Quote

I'd like to stick with something fairly new since this will be a daily driver and something we take on cross country trips. That being said, if I find a great deal on a really low mileage 4th gen I'd probably jump on it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/

XReas is on all Limited models. If you don't like it, you can replace the shocks and leave the XReas plumbing behind, many have.

KDSS is an option on Trail Editions. You can tell by the yellow KDSS light in the instrument cluster when you turn the ignition switch to on, and before you start the engine. You can also look down at the front lower control arm. If there is a bigass swaybar connected to the LCA, it is KDSS. The others have smaller sway bars that connect to the knuckle.

KDSS:

Not sure why you wouldn't want KDSS. Has thicker sway bars for improved handling on road, and it "effectively disconnects" them at low speed for better articulation.

The BMC is going to depend on your wheels and caster, mainly. Negative offset and wide aftermarket wheels will almost certainly cause rubbing on the body mount. I am running 285/70/17 MTRs on 8" wide 4.5BS 0 offset wheels, even with 5.5 degrees of caster, I had to cut the body mount.

If you're having to shift to 3rd in your Taco, you will on the 4runner, also. It has an updated dual VVTI version of the 4.0 in the Taco (actually makes more power than the old 4.7 V8), but it doesn't make any more torque at low RPMs than the old engine. It has the same trans and gear ratio as the Taco, but weighs a lot more.

I recently changed to 4.56 gears (stock is 3.73), and it is great, now.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Here's my $.02

View Quote
Stronger frame, new dual VVTI V6, slightly larger, available locking rear diff, new, stronger rear diff, just to name a few.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/

XReas is on all Limited models. If you don't like it, you can replace the shocks and leave the XReas plumbing behind, many have.

KDSS is an option on Trail Editions. You can tell by the yellow KDSS light in the instrument cluster when you turn the ignition switch to on, and before you start the engine. You can also look down at the front lower control arm. If there is a bigass swaybar connected to the LCA, it is KDSS. The others have smaller sway bars that connect to the knuckle.

KDSS:
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44/iDRiVaTrd/2010%204Runner/P1000685Medium-1.jpg

Not sure why you wouldn't want KDSS. Has thicker sway bars for improved handling on road, and it "effectively disconnects" them at low speed for better articulation.

The BMC is going to depend on your wheels and caster, mainly. Negative offset and wide aftermarket wheels will almost certainly cause rubbing on the body mount. I am running 285/70/17 MTRs on 8" wide 4.5BS 0 offset wheels, even with 5.5 degrees of caster, I had to cut the body mount.

If you're having to shift to 3rd in your Taco, you will on the 4runner, also. It has an updated dual VVTI version of the 4.0 in the Taco (actually makes more power than the old 4.7 V8), but it doesn't make any more torque at low RPMs than the old engine. It has the same trans and gear ratio as the Taco, but weighs a lot more.

I recently changed to 4.56 gears (stock is 3.73), and it is great, now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/offroad/101114/DSCN8906.JPG

View Quote

I should clarify that my tacoma is a 4 cylinder. I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with a 4runner. If it were heavy winds it wouldn't be a big deal, but in any kind of headwind the 2.7 struggles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stronger frame, new dual VVTI V6, slightly larger, available locking rear diff, new, stronger rear diff, just to name a few.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my $.02

The locking rear diff is also high on my list of must haves. Everything on my list except the tundra has the option.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I should clarify that my tacoma is a 4 cylinder. I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with a 4runner. If it were heavy winds it wouldn't be a big deal, but in any kind of headwind the 2.7 struggles.
View Quote
In that case, it should be a lot better than the 2.7.

before regearing, I would have to use 3rd gear to not to lose speed on 7-8% grades above 9000ft. Probably wouldn't be an issue in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The locking rear diff is also high on my list of must haves. Everything on my list except the tundra has the option.
View Quote
It is on all Trail Editions, not available on any other trim level.

Honestly, ATRAC works very well, and for 99.9% of users, it is more than enough. You can also add an ARB air locker to one without the e-locker, it engages and disengages much faster than the elocker, and is stronger. I have an ARB in the front, and almost kinda wish I could replace my rear elocker with an ARB.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My neighbor has a Gen 4 2003 SR5 4WD that has 564,000 miles on it.
Nothing major yet, same motor and tranny etc.

Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd like to stick with something fairly new since this will be a daily driver and something we take on cross country trips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd like to stick with something fairly new since this will be a daily driver and something we take on cross country trips.

Any Toyota with less then 100k would easily meet that requirement. Year of manufacture has very little to do with it.

Quoted:

And all together, none of that amounts to squat. Stronger frame? so what, there is nothing wrong with the 4gen frame. New engine? Not that much different then the old one. Slightly larger is not necessarily a good thing. Locking diff? Who cares on a daily driver but if you really have to have one, A. the 09 trail edition 4runner had them and B. for the money you would save getting a 4th gen over a 5th gen, you could easily afford an ARB locker. All else being equal (Tires, lift, driver), a 4th gen T4R with a V8 and ARB would out trail any 5th gen/dual VVTI V6 even with their stronger frame and factory locker

If you want a 5th gen that's fine but when I was looking to get one last year, I couldn't find one good reason to spend the extra money. Matter of fact, if they were both being built right now for the same price, I'd still get a 4th gen but that's me. YMMV. Just wanted to throw out the option.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD with ATRAC and factory rear locker.  If you are set on having a locker, I would not choose the 4runner based solely on whether it has a locker or not.  The ATRAC works awesome on my truck and I have never actually needed the locker, plus from my reading there are a couple problems with the factory e-locker, such as its weakness and reliability.  A SR5 with front and rear ARB lockers would be plenty capable.

If I was buying a newer 4runner, KDSS and ATRAC would be must haves.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

plus from my reading there are a couple problems with the factory e-locker, such as its weakness and reliability.
View Quote
One of the upgrades of the Prado 150 platform (4runner, FJC, GX) in 2010 was an upgraded "8.2" rear diff. I haven't heard of any of these blowing up. It does limit you on gearing options, the only currently available gears for the new diff are 3.73 and 4.56. Also, the only aftermarket traction aid available is the ARB air locker.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 2014 Trail Edition Premium with KDSS, and if you are looking for the vehicle to take road trips in you won't be sorry.  I have made about a dozen 4 hour trips and one trip from VA to TX and back.  Could not be happier with the way it handles on the highway.  I knew it would be our family trip vehicle, so I had it undercoated to cut down some of the road noise.  

My only complaint is I don't like the way the brake pedal feels. It is totally different than the way the brake pedal feels on my FJ.

Many years ago I had a 1992 4Runner that I kept for 10 years.  It held its value well.  Only one problem with that vehicle, it had factory defective head gasket that was fixed under a TSB by the dealer.  Other than that I put 105K miles on it with no problems other than routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

...and if you are looking for the vehicle to take road trips in you won't be sorry.
View Quote
Except for the stupid cruise control.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and if you are looking for the vehicle to take road trips in you won't be sorry.

What about it? I have a horrible right ankle and cross country trips with no cruise control can be a painful thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What about it? I have a horrible right ankle and cross country trips with no cruise control can be a painful thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, frankly, it sucks. I swear it is exactly the same code in my 2011 4runner TE that was in my 07 Taco. After changing to 33" tires it didn't work at all, except going down hill. Now, with 4.56 gears, it works OK, except up steep grades, or in 40+ mph wind gusts.

Basically, it will try really hard to maintain speed in 5th gear with the torque converter locked up, as you are going up a hill, it loses a few mph, then decides to downshift 2 gears, accelerates to 5-10mph above your set speed, shifts back to 5th, loses speed and repeats itself.

It's not so bad once you learn to deal with it. When you see an approaching up grade, push the throttle to accelerate and maintain speed (cancel the cruise control set if needed), then let it take back over or resume after cresting the hill.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, frankly, it sucks. I swear it is exactly the same code in my 2011 4runner TE that was in my 07 Taco. After changing to 33" tires it didn't work at all, except going down hill. Now, with 4.56 gears, it works OK, except up steep grades, or in 40+ mph wind gusts.  

Basically, it will try really hard to maintain speed in 5th gear with the torque converter locked up, as you are going up a hill, it loses a few mph, then decides to downshift 2 gears, accelerates to 5-10mph above your set speed, shifts back to 5th, loses speed and repeats itself.

It's not so bad once you learn to deal with it. When you see an approaching up grade, push the throttle to accelerate and maintain speed (cancel the cruise control set if needed), then let it take back over or resume after cresting the hill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like what my tacoma does in a headwind. Hmmm. It doesn't do it on flat highways does it? That's what most of my driving is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Toyota4runner.org is your new best friend. There are sections devoted to pre purchase info for newbies. I post there with the same handle. 2004 Limited currently and previously 99 4Runner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds like what my tacoma does in a headwind. Hmmm. It doesn't do it on flat highways does it? That's what most of my driving is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With or without 33s and regearing and 5,000-14,000 ft elevation? On stock tires and sea level, its OK, but change either of those and its a problem.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the stock tires, cruise control works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 2012 SR5 and I love it. No lift yet(am still planning on one but a pregnant wife has put a little bit of a hold on that), but I have yet to get mine stuck(and I've taken it some pretty, admittedly, stupid places, Mud holes, beach driving(without airing down) etc) I want the lift ffor purely  aesthetic reasons, and I plan on going with the Toytec Ultimate kit @2" with 275's on the stock rims more than likely.

As for road trips, My wife and I have gone from here at OBX, NC to central FL several times, gone to upper WI, AR, AL, and CT. I'm just about to tick over 40k. My only complaint honestly is the stereo, but Im a bit of an audio snob, and even with that complaint, it hasn't annoyed me enough yet to change it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top