Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2014 12:09:40 AM EDT
Which automobile which offers the lowest total cost of ownership?  Total cost would be purchase price, gasoline, maintenance, insurance, etcetera with credit for residual value (resale price).

I might end up driving 80 to 100 miles per day, so the cost of commuting might become very important.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Something small and light with a 4 cyl engine and a manual transmission.  Cheap enough so you don't have to have collision insurance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think a stripped down manual Honda Fit or Civic
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Which automobile which offers the lowest total cost of ownership?  Total cost would be purchase price, gasoline, maintenance, insurance, etcetera with credit for residual value (resale price).

I might end up driving 80 to 100 miles per day, so the cost of commuting might become very important.
View Quote

I would get a Civic or Corolla, both cars are low maintenance vehicle and great on gas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If you believe KBB.com, for 2014 the following are top-three:

3.  Mazda 2 Sport
2.  Nissan Versa S
1.  Chevrolet Spark LS
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Civic or Corolla.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Civic or Corolla.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civic or Corolla.

Agreed.

+ 3.14

Corollas can be had for cheaper since Honda does not offer fleet vehicles to keep their market from being flooded.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Base model (i sv) Mazda 3.

In my area they are priced as low as the ~15k range.

very fuel efficient

Is a solid design.

insurance should be comparable to other cars in its class.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Small basic 2wd pick up truck with manual transmission, do they even make them anymore?  That would leave a Tacoma or Nissan.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Small basic 2wd pick up truck with manual transmission, do they even make them anymore?  That would leave a Tacoma or Nissan.
View Quote

A tacoma will cost 19k, be over 10 years old will have over 100k miles and you'll still have to compete with other people to buy it. Mad world.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A tacoma will cost 19k, be over 10 years old will have over 100k miles and you'll still have to compete with other people to buy it. Mad world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll also get half the fuel economy of other cars in this thread, which for someone driving 80-100 miles a day, turns into a pretty substantial increase in cost, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife has a 2012 Elantra, its been extremely cheap to own thus far.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
An 800 dollar beater that runs good. I've owned a few that gave me 2 years.

You get 300 when your done at the scrapyard.

I had a corolla that did just this. 30 mpg and dirt cheap.

New car? Corolla would be my vote. Or a 10,000 dollar Nissan Versa. Hard to find at that price, but they do exist.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are some factoids I cooked up last night while walking the dog.  These are after-tax dollars.

Assume - $20k car purchase, $4/gallon for gas, 20 mpg, 100 miles/day, 100,000 mile useable lifetime for auto, 8 hour paid work day, ....

It will cost me about $8/hour just to commute*, not including the 2 to 4 hours/day spent commuting.

Gasoline costs as much as the car itself - $20k

$20k car costs $50k total over it's lifetime.

*  This amounts to approximately $12/hr in pre-tax dollars.  <--- more than minimum wage just to commute!

What do you think is the residual value of a 3 year old, $20k car with 100k miles?  If there is trade-in value, that should reduce some of the costs described above.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I must admit I am a bit surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this topic.  I was hoping for some discussion which explored aspects of this I haven't considered.  At the very least, I was expecting some argument over the results or the inputs.  As it stands, I guess all of you accept the financial analysis and conclusions that result.

In Southern California, a 50 to 100 mile daily commute is not uncommon.  California's commuters were lured to the hinterlands when gas was cheap, the freeways to the developments were uncrowded and there were no jobs out there.  It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to do it - often both parents.

On a personal financial basis, it means you are giving away $15k/year, in which you earn no equity (you're burning money).  The money is going to the automakers, which isn't all bad.  The "problem" I see, is that an equal amount of money is going to the oil companies, much of which ends up in the Middle-East and Venezuela.  Add to that, burning the fuel is destroying our air quality.

I think the proper response is to live close to where you work.  This means either moving closer to your work or moving your work closer to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a California car virtually rust free (automatic, 4 cylinder turbo, leather interior) that ended up in VA with a spun bearing for $1100.  Pulled motor and redid motor for $1.5K.  Did suspension and added tires for $500.  $3100 including a fair amount of sweat equity.  Car is 13 years old, so insurance, property taxes are low.

Gets 30mpg, up to 32mpg with AC off at 70 mph highway cruising.

$3100 sunk cost, no car payments.  No additional maintenance beyond oil changes, other than a minor power steering leak.

TCO is significantly cheaper vs new car.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I commute about 80-90 miles a day, depending on the route. Strangely, I don't commute from the suburbs to the city, but the exact opposite, with the resulting reverse-commute probably helping my mileage. When I first started commuting a few years ago I bought a 93 Corolla. The vehicle cost $2000 and over the past few years I replaced standard wear items and rebuilt the A/C all to the tune of about $1000. I get an avg of 33mpg with it, the thing passed smog with flying colors a couple of months ago, it's cheap as hell to insure and maintain. Registration is cheap as well.

I would prefer to work closer to where I live, and hopefully it will happen someday. Until then, my 21 year old vehicle has paid for itself many times over. I feel more confident in this vehicle than any of our newer cars. If you want to really lower the TCO, I would suggest you look into buying an older reliable commuter vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to have to start commuting 50 miles a day in the next month or three so I just picked up an '04 Civic Hybrid with 85k miles for right over $5k that gets 40mpg average.

Your calculations factor in a new car ('spensive Lucy), expensive gas ($3/gallon here), shitty mpg (20?  Really?), and only 100k miles lifetime (WTF planet are you living on?).

I'm all for conservative estimates, but you need to go back to the drawing board.  Prius driving taxi companies are purportedly driving them to 500k miles and newer ones are getting upwards of 60mpg city, while 10 year old corollas with under 100k miles can be found for well under $10k while getting around 35 in the city.

Try again.  Try harder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are talking new, the TCO will be some shitbox that no one in their right mind would want to sit in for 80-100 miles per day.

Buy a used car that you can pay cash for. I would rather spend my money on gas than the car.

That being said by a guy who has worked from home for over 20 years and doesn't own a car
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I took some of the ideas posted above and updated the cost analysis.

I used $10k for a used car, $600/year insurance and 30 mpg.  I left the maintenance cost at $5k.  These values reduced the total cost to $32k ($11k/year) .  Amortized over my labor hours, it costs $5/hr to commute to work.

The idea of spending $32k and getting nothing for it irks the hell out of me.  Heck, that's a down payment on a house.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I took some of the ideas posted above and updated the cost analysis.

I used $10k for a used car, $600/year insurance and 30 mpg.  I left the maintenance cost at $5k.  These values reduced the total cost to $32k ($11k/year) .  Amortized over my labor hours, it costs $5/hr to commute to work.

The idea of spending $32k and getting nothing for it irks the hell out of me.  Heck, that's a down payment on a house.
View Quote

2003-2008 corolla.   Should come in around 8k.  Expect 32-33mpg.  Maintenance costs will be minimal, nowhere near 5k.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Maintenance includes two sets of tires and brakes, oil changes, new coolant, a new headliner, a catalytic converter, etc.

I came up with almost $4k in identifiable costs and rounded up to $5k to cover unforeseen events in a car that has between 100k miles and 200k miles.

My experience has been uniform with cars at about 100k miles.  The fatigue begins to show.  That is for Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford,...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maintenance includes two sets of tires and brakes, oil changes, new coolant, a new headliner, a catalytic converter, etc.

I came up with almost $4k in identifiable costs and rounded up to $5k to cover unforeseen events in a car that has between 100k miles and 200k miles.

My experience has been uniform with cars at about 100k miles.  The fatigue begins to show.  That is for Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford,...
View Quote

Shouldn't be too hard to find a 9th gen corolla with 60-80k miles.  Also there really isn't much to fail on a corolla.  Brakes should go at least 100k with normal driving. (highway biased)  Oil changes can be had in the low 20's from reputable shops.  If you DIY, you can drop that into the upper teens.  Decent tires can be had in the ~$7x range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#24]
you don't mention where you are located but IMHO here are two options I didn't see mentioned:

motorcycle- something that's decently comfortable to ride and easy to rack up the miles. durability should be good, easy to go 100-200k on a bike with basic maintenance. don't buy something like a CBR1000rr, look instead at something like a sport touring bike. A few year old FJR1300 would be good, as others in the category. If you are comfortable riding a bike that is. I used to commute 150 miles a day when I was in the office and rode an FJR for a while. it got decent gas mileage (when I wasn't in the throttle a lot), durable, easy to ride, and comfortable.

diesel car- I have an 05 jetta TDI that I bought when I worked as a sale rep (60k miles a year). 5 speed manual (the auto transmissions won't last a long time), just a good daily drive. Most of the time I got 45mpg (can get more with a little attention) but that was driving 80+mpg w/ cruise and AC on. I have 220k miles on the car and just put in a new clutch (I pull a trailer with it a lot) and it's just had basic maintenance done. plenty of room, comfortable, reliable and can go 300-400k miles with no problem. Used ones are a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Those are both interesting options.  I'll plug them into my spread sheet and see how they do.

I think the motorcycle is not viable for me for several reasons.  I would guess that a one hour motorcycle ride on a cold winter morning would SUCK! and really wear me out.  The benefit of a motorcycle would be avoiding some of the worst congestion in the Nation by splitting traffic.

The TDI is another good option.  I did check around locally for prices.  New, they are offered at about $35k (OTD).  To get under $10k, you would be getting a car with 100k miles, which is a LOT for a Volkswagen.  Just for reference, I saw a used TDI advertised for $18k with 30k miles on it.

One thing I found out during the interview was there are car pools and van pools and the company gives a small stipend if you car/van pool to work.  You lose flexibility but the gain back several hours/day (if you are able to use the commuting time productively).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, as expected, the motorcycle did drop the total cost of commuting and cost of ownership.  I assumed $5k purchase, 40 mpg and $2500 for maintenance.  This dropped the total to $21k ($3.33/hour).

Surprisingly, the TDI did not significantly change the automobile costs.  You may get 40-45 mpg but the cost for diesel is much higher here, so the cost is a wash.  There's also the limited availability issue (PITA).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have owned a couple Toyota Camrys over the past 10yrs

I cannot imaging many cars beating them out on lower cost to drive / maintain. 4cyl BTW
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you believe KBB.com, for 2014 the following are top-three:

3.  Mazda 2 Sport
2.  Nissan Versa S
1.  Chevrolet Spark LS
View Quote

Whatever you do, don't buy the Chevy Spark. My friend had one as a rental and described it as cheap, cramped, and underpowered. His daily driver is a Toyota Yaris, so it must be really bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#29]
The honda fit is a decent option as well and I get around 33mpg of mostly city driving in mine and with the timing chain instead of a belt, 10k oil change intervals and 100k spark plugs maintenance is dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, as expected, the motorcycle did drop the total cost of commuting and cost of ownership.  I assumed $5k purchase, 40 mpg and $2500 for maintenance.  This dropped the total to $21k ($3.33/hour).

Surprisingly, the TDI did not significantly change the automobile costs.  You may get 40-45 mpg but the cost for diesel is much higher here, so the cost is a wash.  There's also the limited availability issue (PITA).
View Quote

$2500 for maintenance on the bike? lol. I probalby did maybe $500 in the time I had mine (2 or 3 years). Mostly tires, but sport touring or touring tires can be had cheap. change the oil, check the valves every 25k miles (about the only thing I took mine to the shop for) and ride the thing. oil and filters are cheap (online and Rotella T). tires were the only expensive thing. I ran good tires, but I got them cheap at the time. ;) as for riding in cold weather, factor in some heated gear. I had a heated jacket and gloves. made 40 degree weather my favorite riding weather. crisp clear mornings were perfect. I commuted from ATL to Rome GA so i was going against traffic but could use the HOV lanes (no lane splitting in GA).

100k miles on a TDI isn't much of anything. I bought my jetta with 65k on it and it now has 220k. new timing belt every 100k (about $1000) and clutch around 250k or so (about $1200). Other than that, just change the oil and filters. it's not a BMW but mine is still solid. I would have no issues with driving it another 100k miles, but want something new. will probably get a jetta sport wagen TDI with a 6 speed. figure it'll cost $18k for one with 30-50k miles, and I can drive it till I get to 150k and sell it.

good luck with the search, it's fun to compare cars and see what options there are out there. hard to be a honda 4 cylinder for durability and quality. One friend with 250k on his accord just switched to a jetta TDI and loves it. his accord was a trooper..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#31]
what if I told you there was a car with

avg 47 mpg
top speed 112mph
67.3 cu. ft. of cargo with the rear seats folded down

and it cost about $22500 brand new with 2 year 25k maintenance included

Here

My wife has one and I steal it constantly

less spent on gas = more spent on ammo!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

$2500 for maintenance on the bike?
View Quote

I halved the $5k maintenance estimate I had in there for a car.  

Others scoffed at $5k maintenance on the car, too.  I did a quick break down and it came up to $4k.  I added another $1k for unforeseen maintenance costs.  You have to have some contingency in these things because you never know what will happen.  

My experience has been that things always cost a lot more than you think and/or planned for.  

Is $5k the right price for a bike?  It certainly does not get you a Harley, Ducati, KTM or any fancy sport bike.

One way to look at this is I did not include the cost of a helmet, gloves, heated riding gear or a fairing.  Perhaps you can allocate some of the $2.5k towards those.  

Just as a point of reference, I do not know anyone whose car has 200k miles on it and certainly have never heard of anyone with 100k miles on their motorcycle.

Another point of reference - Volkswagen reliability ratings are terrible.  Believing you can get 200k miles from one takes a bit of faith which I don't have.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen.  I'm saying that's not my concept of a Volkswagen.  So, this is good input.  It's new to me.  That's why I started the thread.

What's really bugging me is this - I am used to being able to walk or ride a bicycle to work.  Paying $20k, $40k or more just to commute to work does not seem reasonable to me.  I see it as sending too much of my money to the Middle East and Venezuela and wasting a lot of what's left of my time on Earth.  

If I get the job, I am going to seriously explore the carpool and vanpool options.  There is no reasonable bus or train service to that area of which I am aware.  

Thanks to all for the help.  Your ideas, collectively, showed me ways to halve the cost.  I appreciate that in case I need to exercise one of those options.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just as a point of reference, I do not know anyone whose car has 200k miles on it and certainly have never heard of anyone with 100k miles on their motorcycle.

Another point of reference - Volkswagen reliability ratings are terrible.  Believing you can get 200k miles from one takes a bit of faith which I don't have.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen.  I'm saying that's not my concept of a Volkswagen.  So, this is good input.  It's new to me.  That's why I started the thread.
s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

s.

if you dont already ride I'd rule out the bike. too much up front costs (gear is important, especially if you are commuting). I've had one bike with 90k miles on it (I raced it as well) and a few with 30-50k, but I used to ride 20k miles a year on the bikes for the fun of it. I think I had 45k on my FJR when I sold it. Bikes are pretty solid well over 100k miles if taken care of and not ridden like idiots. I dont' ride much on the street or track any more, mostly dual sport bikes and off road these days.

my jetta has 220k miles. My jeep grand cherokee had 190k on it when I sold it. I also had a BMW 533i with 200k miles on it when I sold it. I tend the drive/ride things till they are pretty worn before I get something else. I rarely buy something new, I let someone else take that initial hit of depreciation, I buy something a year or two old and save some money. I did sell the wifes M3 with only 60k miles on it, but that was after she blew up the motor ($6k to fix). ouch. I've been lucky with vehicles and not had any crazy issues (except the M3). Jeeps, VW and BMW are not known for being super reliable, but mine have been good to go, but I also follow good maintenance practices and fix things before they become a bigger issue and look on the forums to see what things to keep an eye on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Others scoffed at $5k maintenance on the car, too.  I did a quick break down and it came up to $4k.  I added another $1k for unforeseen maintenance costs.  You have to have some contingency in these things because you never know what will happen.  

My experience has been that things always cost a lot more than you think and/or planned for.  

Is $5k the right price for a bike?  It certainly does not get you a Harley, Ducati, KTM or any fancy sport bike.

One way to look at this is I did not include the cost of a helmet, gloves, heated riding gear or a fairing.  Perhaps you can allocate some of the $2.5k towards those.  

What's really bugging me is this - I am used to being able to walk or ride a bicycle to work.  Paying $20k, $40k or more just to commute to work does not seem reasonable to me.  I see it as sending too much of my money to the Middle East and Venezuela and wasting a lot of what's left of my time on Earth.  

If I get the job, I am going to seriously explore the carpool and vanpool options.  There is no reasonable bus or train service to that area of which I am aware.  

Thanks to all for the help.  Your ideas, collectively, showed me ways to halve the cost.  I appreciate that in case I need to exercise one of those options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ride a motorcycle 130mi a day, 650mi a week. Year round, around 30,000mi.
That's:
Three sets of tires
One to two chain and sprocket sets
Ten oil changes
Three air filter replacements
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel like this is almost a troll thread. If you have never seen a bike with over 100k you really aren't doing your research.

A inexpensive 4 cylinder Japanese car will probably be best. I also think your maintenance number are high. While there are certainly unexpected costs you could have that amount set aside just in case but I have never owned any vehicle that was anywhere near 5k annual maintenance costs.

I have a 60 mile one way commute 4 days a week. I Reid's the van pool and no vehicle can come close to it cost wise. If that is a option it will almost always be the best choice. Your other option if you are feeling frisky is to find people to ride with you and subsidize if not outright cover the cost of your commute. The van I ride is one of several owned by a employee. Has to drive up anyway why not get paid to do so.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#36]
For new cars according to IntelliChoice.com its the Toyota Yaris hatchback.  There in TCO data for a bunch of cars on their website.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2014-55010-0/2014-toyota-yaris-l-2dr-hatchback.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
... I have never owned any vehicle that was anywhere near 5k annual maintenance costs.
View Quote

You have misread me.  The figures I'm quoting for maintenance are over the life of the vehicle.  

I'm assuming life is 100,000 miles based on my past experience.  After that, they start to literally fall apart and become unreliable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's:
Three sets of tires
One to two chain and sprocket sets
Ten oil changes
Three air filter replacements
View Quote

What is the approximate total cost for these items?  Are these items replaced during the 30k miles (10k miles/set of tires, etc) or over the entire life of the bike?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You have misread me.  The figures I'm quoting for maintenance are over the life of the vehicle.  

I'm assuming life is 100,000 miles based on my past experience.  After that, they start to literally fall apart and become unreliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I have never owned any vehicle that was anywhere near 5k annual maintenance costs.

I did but dont understand where your 100,000 mile lifespan is from. If buying new double that would be standard. The Chevy van I ride to work has 191.000 on it now and definitely has a few squeaks and creaks but fixing it is still cheaper than replacing it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I did but dont understand where your 100,000 mile lifespan is from. If buying new double that would be standard. The Chevy van I ride to work has 191.000 on it now and definitely has a few squeaks and creaks but fixing it is still cheaper than replacing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I explained the basis right there - "fall apart and become unreliable".  This has happened with a Toyota, a Honda, an Oldmobile and my current Ford.  

Honestly, I don't know anyone who has 200k miles on their car.

You see, it's not a "troll thread", at all.  It's that everyone has different experiences.  They have differing paradigms.  "One man's ceiling is another man's floor", etcetera.  The reason these forums are as interesting as they are is, in part, due to the exposure you get to other people's experiences - 100k is standard for me, 200k is standard for you.  

Of course, then there are people who lease their vehicles...

Take care.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:35:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I guess I'll bow out. I cant even count how many honda and toyotas I have seen go 200K. You obviously hang out with people willing to spend a lot more on cars than my circle of friends.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I guess I'll bow out. I cant even count how many honda and toyotas I have seen go 200K. You obviously hang out with people willing to spend a lot more on cars than my circle of friends.
View Quote

Well, the whole point of the thread was to solicit the experiences of and perspectives from other people.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What is the approximate total cost for these items?  Are these items replaced during the 30k miles (10k miles/set of tires, etc) or over the entire life of the bike?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's:
Three sets of tires $1000 +/- per 30k mi
One to two chain and sprocket sets $227-$400 +/- per 30k mi
Ten oil changes $300 +/- per 30k mi
Three air filter replacements $50 (K&N washable filter x1 for me) per 30k mi

Prices reflect my local shop changing the tires and installing the chain and sprockets. I do my own oil and air filter changes. <- Lives in an apartment with no garage.
Also, regarding the quote of not seeing cars over 200k, my wifes car has 358k on the clock and my previous car had 240k on the clock before it wouldn't pass smog in CA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, the whole point of the thread was to solicit the experiences of and perspectives from other people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that but you are arguing what is common knowledge to anyone who deals with cars on just about any level.

Money wise you will probably never beat a used little car. Even if you put a few grand into it every year the savings on insurance and purchase price will last for years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's:

Prices reflect my local shop changing the tires and installing the chain and sprockets. I do my own oil and air filter changes. <- Lives in an apartment with no garage.
Also, regarding the quote of not seeing cars over 200k, my wifes car has 358k on the clock and my previous car had 240k on the clock before it wouldn't pass smog in CA.
View Quote

So, if I understand you correctly and sticking with 100k miles just as a benchmark,

$3,000 tires
$1,000 chains & sprockets
$1,000 oil changes
$   150 air filters

$5,150 total maintenance for a motorcycle in 100k miles.

If that's true, then my $2500 is too low.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I understand that but you are arguing what is common knowledge to anyone who deals with cars on just about any level.

Money wise you will probably never beat a used little car. Even if you put a few grand into it every year the savings on insurance and purchase price will last for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate the info.  It is encouraging.  

I'm not arguing, as such, I am trying to relate to you what my experience base is.  Yours, apparently, is different.  Hence, the thread.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#47]
My 05 Honda Accord . It is loaded EX-L. 4 cylinder and a manual transmission . It has had the first parts failure at 309,000 the clutch master cylinder died . I am still on the original clutch . It has been reliable and I have performed all of the maintenance to it . All synthetic oil changes factory oil filters , Bosch plugs . , brakes and tires . If you own it long enough you might as well be comfortable , why buy a stripped car and have to add features . I get about 28 mpg with E-10 shit gas , with no ethanol it will do low 30's .
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those are both interesting options.  I'll plug them into my spread sheet and see how they do.

I think the motorcycle is not viable for me for several reasons.  I would guess that a one hour motorcycle ride on a cold winter morning would SUCK! and really wear me out.  The benefit of a motorcycle would be avoiding some of the worst congestion in the Nation by splitting traffic.

The TDI is another good option.  I did check around locally for prices.  New, they are offered at about $35k (OTD).  To get under $10k, you would be getting a car with 100k miles, which is a LOT for a Volkswagen.  Just for reference, I saw a used TDI advertised for $18k with 30k miles on it.

One thing I found out during the interview was there are car pools and van pools and the company gives a small stipend if you car/van pool to work.  You lose flexibility but the gain back several hours/day (if you are able to use the commuting time productively).
View Quote

A Jetta TDI is not 35k.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I explained the basis right there - "fall apart and become unreliable".  This has happened with a Toyota, a Honda, an Oldmobile and my current Ford.  

You see, it's not a "troll thread", at all.  It's that everyone has different experiences.  They have differing paradigms.  "One man's ceiling is another man's floor", etcetera.  The reason these forums are as interesting as they are is, in part, due to the exposure you get to other people's experiences - 100k is standard for me, 200k is standard for you.  

Take care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take care.

I just sold a 1993 Ford Probe with 247k miles on it to my brother.  It ran well up to the point I stopped using it a year ago.  An 80's era car would do over 100k without an issue.  What are you doing to these cars?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So, if I understand you correctly and sticking with 100k miles just as a benchmark,

$3,000 tires
$1,000 oil changes
$   150 air filters

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's:

$3,000 tires
$1,000 oil changes
$   150 air filters

2 motorcycle tires installed is not 1k.  1k is for 3 sets, installed.  

Used Ford Focus, approximately 3 years / 40k miles and drive it for another 100k, assuming  things like doing scheduled maintenance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top