Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 12:04:59 PM EDT
Which is the correct term?

Backstory: Took my jeep in for an alignment, it came back with a horrible highway wobble. Took it back, they went "oops, your tie rod end on the drag link is bad, you have to replace the drag link" to the tune of $490
At least they refunded my original alignment fee
But instead I can do the work myself. I only took it there because A) I don't have an alignment rack and B) After they did my alignment, it was worse than it started.

However, the work ticket they gave me says track bar needs replacement, and they kept saying drag link when we talked about it. So which is the correct term? Or are they interchangeable?

Second question is where do I find this bastard? I found a track bar on rock auto, but it doesn't have ball joint ends, it just looks like it has bushing ends...

I can replace the parts, I just need to figure out where to order / what to call the damn parts

UPDATE: What a pain in the ass it is to change these things

Couldn't get the tie rod end off with the drag link installed on truck. Had to pop the tie rod end off the pitman arm and put the whole thing in a vice. Soaked in PB blaster, tried with a pipe wrench to get it off and couldnt' get it. Had to go get a new propane torch and an 18" pipe wrench (biggest home depot had) and it finally started turning. Between fucking with it and running to the store it took me 2 hours at least to get the damn tie rod end off. After all that..... I realized the tie rod end at the pitman arm had a ripped boot . Back to the store to get a new rod end, then another hour to get it off and replaced. What should have taken an hour took half the damn day.

Now I know why the pros get paid the big bucks . But despite all the running around and buying new parts and tools, I'm still in cheaper than paying the mechanic to change these and the calipers. I don't mind doing the work so my time isn't an issue. Just another weekend day

Now to relax and have a cold beer
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
track bar goes from axle to frame and is not involved in steering.  Bad bushings can cause the wobble.

Depending on where the slop is any number of things can amplify the wobble.

If its like my Dodge truck, the entire tie rod drag link bar etc gets replaced.  It had the old style Y suspension and I upgraded to the T style to prevent the wobble.

Also be sure to check the ball joints.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
track bar on that has a bushing at the axle end, and a ball/socket joint at the frame end, real common failure item, but the part is kind or expensive

all the steering parts on that are the box, pitman arm, and inner/outer tie rods for each side, there is no drag link
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
with the jeep parked on pavement or concrete have someone move the steering wheel from side to side with the motor running. you will see what needs replacement.

I did the tie rod ends and the tracking arm bushing myself on our daughters TJ it was easy pzy
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
with the jeep parked on pavement or concrete have someone move the steering wheel from side to side with the motor running. you will see what needs replacement.
I did the tie rod ends and the tracking arm bushing myself on our daughters TJ it was easy pzy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is what I did before I took it back to them. What I can see is the tie rod end needs replacement which is why they were interchangeably using drag link and trac bar. The ticket says "We checked the vehicle and found the trac bar tie rod at the knuckle is making a clunking noise..." and then they quote me for a new drag link and ends. Based on what the guy below is saying, its the drag link, not the tie rod

Quoted:
They are not interchangeable. you never said what model of jeep you have but I am going to assume TJ based on year. solid axle jeeps typically have inverted y steering. if you have a liberty the story changes completely cause its ifs.

drag link goes from pass knuckle to pitman arm and has a rod end at each point.  the drag link is adjusted to center the steering wheel

tie rod goes from  driver knuckle to draglink and has a rod end at the driver knuckle and where it meets the draglink. tie rod is adjusted to set toe.

track bar serves to center the axle under the rig in a coil link suspension. The stock track bar has a ball stud/rod
end type joint on the frame side and a rubber bushing on the axle side.

Rod ends, trackbar bushings, loose bolts, ball joints, worn sector shaft, bad alignment, and several other things can cause wobble.

Is your jeep a toy? my jeeps a toy and if I was spending 490 on steering it would be an upgrade not OEM replacement. There's some
good options out there for after market 1 ton steering but most only work on lifted vehicles which is why I asked.

THanks for the descriptions, its the drag link based on what you're saying. And yeah, 490 is the realm for upgrades, not OEM, but its a DD not a toy.

Also, its an 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It's commonly referred to as "Death Wobble"  search here.  www.jeepforum.com
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IIRC I think WJ's have a crossover type steering but the concepts are similar . tie rod and draglink are just independent of each other instead of attached to each toher like in the XJ's and TJ's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I did before I took it back to them. What I can see is the tie rod end needs replacement which is why they were interchangeably using drag link and trac bar. The ticket says "We checked the vehicle and found the trac bar tie rod at the knuckle is making a clunking noise..." and then they quote me for a new drag link and ends. Based on what the guy below is saying, its the drag link, not the tie rod

Quoted:
They are not interchangeable. you never said what model of jeep you have but I am going to assume TJ based on year. solid axle jeeps typically have inverted y steering. if you have a liberty the story changes completely cause its ifs.

drag link goes from pass knuckle to pitman arm and has a rod end at each point.  the drag link is adjusted to center the steering wheel

tie rod goes from  driver knuckle to draglink and has a rod end at the driver knuckle and where it meets the draglink. tie rod is adjusted to set toe.

track bar serves to center the axle under the rig in a coil link suspension. The stock track bar has a ball stud/rod
end type joint on the frame side and a rubber bushing on the axle side.

Rod ends, trackbar bushings, loose bolts, ball joints, worn sector shaft, bad alignment, and several other things can cause wobble.

Is your jeep a toy? my jeeps a toy and if I was spending 490 on steering it would be an upgrade not OEM replacement. There's some
good options out there for after market 1 ton steering but most only work on lifted vehicles which is why I asked.

THanks for the descriptions, its the drag link based on what you're saying. And yeah, 490 is the realm for upgrades, not OEM, but its a DD not a toy.

Also, its an 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

IIRC I think WJ's have a crossover type steering but the concepts are similar . tie rod and draglink are just independent of each other instead of attached to each toher like in the XJ's and TJ's

Yes, the "inverted y" that was described previously

I need the names of those two parts
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a full assembly that I have on my TJ. Compared to stock, it is immensely more stout.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219

Of course, if you have no reason or desire to upgrade from stock, you can just replace the ends of what you have (they're replaceable if I remember correctly)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_07.htm

And this should help a lot in figuring out what part you need:

ETA: Just saw that we're not talking about TJs at all. Is this what your WJ looks like? The drag link and tie rod are separate?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Here is a full assembly that I have on my TJ. Compared to stock, it is immensely more stout.

Of course, if you have no reason or desire to upgrade from stock, you can just replace the ends of what you have (they're replaceable if I remember correctly)

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg

ETA: Just saw that we're not talking about TJs at all. Is this what your WJ looks like? The drag link and tie rod are separate?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/WJ%20steering%20conv%201%20ton%20flip/IMG_5407.jpg
View Quote
Is this a pic of a stock setup or is it a high pinion?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/WJ%20steering%20conv%201%20ton%20flip/IMG_5407.jpg

I'm not sure. I just grabbed it off google images. The guy who posted says it's a XJ axle with WJ knuckles. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-cherokee/834872-totm-steering-tierod-draglink-setups-3.html#post13655382
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Found a place that I can get 4 new moog tie rod ends for 150, so I might as well replace them all at once.

Do I need to get a special tool for seperating the tie rod end from the steering knuckle? The way I learned from the shop I used to work at was....questionable (involved lots of BFH)
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found a place that I can get 4 new moog tie rod ends for 150, so I might as well replace them all at once.

Do I need to get a special tool for seperating the tie rod end from the steering knuckle? The way I learned from the shop I used to work at was....questionable (involved lots of BFH)
View Quote

It's just held on with a castle nut if I recall correctly. Penetrating oil never hurts then remove the nut. Maybe it will slide right out, if not try a few gentle smacks or wiggle the steering back and forth to help it loosen up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
edit: i should read more before posting
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump for update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top