Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
I currently drive an '88 BMW 325is. It's a halfway completed racecar project, and I've utterly ruined it as a street car. Now that I'm out of school and have a real job, it's time to replace it.

An '09+ Cayman S and new Mustang GT optioned like I want are both around the same price -- low to mid $30k. This will be my daily driver when it's halfway nice out (I have a truck for winter/etc) and it'll probably see a few track days and autocrosses as well.

I would entertain other options, but it's got to be under about $35k, rear wheel drive, and with a manual transmission. I considered a Subaru BRZ, but I don't think it's got enough power.

Big questions in my mind are maintenance, insurance, and reliability.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Cayman S will still look good after 10 years.  
Mustang GT? not so much.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If those three things are you concerns choose the mustang. No brainier.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you have to be concerned about these, you can't afford either, keep the beemer.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mustang GT? not so much.
View Quote

Respectfully disagree here.

Caymans look great, but just don't have the performance or aftermarket that Mustangs will have. Especially for the price. For a fun car that will be daily driven, Mustang all the way. I'd cry if I had a Porsche (aside from Boxer) get dinged.

Maintenance for the Mustang - change the oil. drive the shit out of it. mod the shit out of it.

My insurance went down from my F150 to my GT.

Reliability is proven with the 14s - since the 15s are brand new and have 100% new suspension, we don't really know. The motor is solid though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I currently drive an '88 BMW 325is. It's a halfway completed racecar project, and I've utterly ruined it as a street car. Now that I'm out of school and have a real job, it's time to replace it.

An '09+ Cayman S and new Mustang GT optioned like I want are both around the same price -- low to mid $30k. This will be my daily driver when it's halfway nice out (I have a truck for winter/etc) and it'll probably see a few track days and autocrosses as well.

I would entertain other options, but it's got to be under about $35k, rear wheel drive, and with a manual transmission. I considered a Subaru BRZ, but I don't think it's got enough power.

View Quote

Pretty sure with the 2015 mustangs arriving you can get a good deal on a 2014 mustang gt configured the way you want.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets face it, if you are going to put it on a track, you want the performance pack.  Now if you get that and add in one of the Equipment groups, 400A or 401A, you are going to break the $40K mark.  Keep in mind you can join the Mustang Club of America for $50 and get access to the X Plan. As you can see here, 400A, 3:55 rear and spare tire. at $37,515  But with my X Plan pin I'm paying $34,515.  No PP for me since I wanted a spare tire and they don't offer one with that option.
Scheduled to arrive on Nov. 10th.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I could be wrong but I'm sure that maintenance and insurance would be cheaper on the Mustang than on any German car.  Nothing against the Germans as I would love to have an M3 some day but until then I will continue to enjoy my 2014 Mustang GT with the track pack.  Base model 2014 GT with track pack, tech package, and 6 speed stickers for $35,700 but there are lots of rebates to be had on them.  Of course the rebates apply if you can find any vehicles left.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
No interest in the 2014, I want the IRS and I like the styling of the 2015 better. I would definitely be getting the performance pack but not the premium pack.

One of the Cayman guys at work said he spent $600 for a DIY front brake job with OEM pads/rotors. I can afford either and the associated maintenance, but it's a question of whether or not I think it's worth it. I drove his Cayman today and it was dynamically beautiful, but quite slow in a straight line (non S).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Mustang. 435hp and a warranty. 5.0 has been trouble free. Buying a 3 or 4 year old Porsche with who knows how many miles doesn't seem like much of a bargain when you look at it like that. Of course I sell fords so I may be a little biased.

Eta a DIY brake job on a new mustang would probably be half of what it is on the Porsche. And probably all the rest of the maintenance is going to be half as well. Plus there are ford dealers everywhere if you have a problem. Try finding a Porsche dealer if you break down in some random place
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No interest in the 2014, I want the IRS and I like the styling of the 2015 better. I would definitely be getting the performance pack but not the premium pack.

One of the Cayman guys at work said he spent $600 for a DIY front brake job with OEM pads/rotors. I can afford either and the associated maintenance, but it's a question of whether or not I think it's worth it. I drove his Cayman today and it was dynamically beautiful, but quite slow in a straight line (non S).
View Quote

Go drive the two on a curvy road.

A Cayman S has always been on my radar as a car I want to own one day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just have a older non-S Boxster and it's like the thing is literally wired to my brain on a nice twisty road.  It's just so damn easy to drive the thing hard.   Can't say I have any seat time in a new Mustang but I'd be willing to wager that while it may be able to keep up or even be faster than my POS in the twisties the guy in the stang will work twice as hard.

One thing the Porsche folks have down is feel and feedback.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]
They are different cars.  The Porsche is a 2 seat sports car and the Mustang is a Pony car which you can have passengers in if need be.  Modifications for the Mustang are easy and reasonably affordable.   Someone mentioned a $600 DIY brake job for a Porsche.  I can't imagine what "performance" parts cost.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are different cars.  The Porsche is a 2 seat sports car and the Mustang is a Pony car which you can have passengers in if need be.  Modifications for the Mustang are easy and reasonably affordable.   Someone mentioned a $600 DIY brake job for a Porsche.  I can't imagine what "performance" parts cost.
View Quote

?

Is $150 per corner that unreasonable for brake job on a performance car?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

It is at least 50% more than what a Mustang will cost.   Brakes are relatively inexpensive items to replace compared to power train or even suspension components, etc..
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is at least 50% more than what a Mustang will cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is at least 50% more than what a Mustang will cost.

Maybe if you buy autozone pads and rotors

Performance pack sized pads/rotors from a good manufacturer will easily top 150/corner.  And yes, it is worth it over Duralast junk if you actually plan to USE those brakes.

Heck, I just did all 4 corners on my 350Z with Stoptech rotors and EBC redstuff pads, and it was ~$600 in parts, and that's with me cross referencing numbers and buying individually on Ebay, which saved me almost $200.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

I (OP) mentioned that. One of the Cayman guys at work spent $600 for just front brake rotors and pads, which I thought seemed like a bit much.

I have no idea about the Mustang, but for good components (not Autozone) I would expect a little over half as much. But that's just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mustang GT? not so much.
View Quote

I wonder if someone said that same thing in 1967 and then 10 years later to now realized they were retarded?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I (OP) mentioned that. One of the Cayman guys at work spent $600 for just front brake rotors and pads, which I thought seemed like a bit much.

I have no idea about the Mustang, but for good components (not Autozone) I would expect a little over half as much. But that's just a guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

GT500 rotors around 250-400 for the pair depending on what you get, relatively cheap drilled/slotted 250-300 for pair.    Pads arent too bad though.

I like the Cayman but if I were gonna get a Porsche, which I love, it would have to be a 911.    For the money that they command only high mile 98-2003 cars would be an option.

So as it sits, i buy used mustangs and then hotrod from there.   Gonna be about 20-25k into building up my 95 Cobra.    When I get to my 2005 GT I will probably be 14-15k on blown engine for it as well.

To wipe the slate clean and do something like that with a 911 would just be too much.    Tempting but I am sticking with Mustangs, and I really do love Porsche.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want an affordable to maintain car that you can work on yourself, take the Mustang.

Don't even test drive the Cayman.  Once you've gone to a well built mid-engined machine, you'll never want to drive anything else again.  It will ruin the rest of your life.  Everything else will feel like a garbage truck in comparison.  :-)
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You can buy a lot of used Corvette for 30k. A lot. Plenty of C6s with low miles in that range.

Great power and handling, good fuel economy, and great looks. Very reliable too.

corvette forum

Selling my 2007 3LT Z51. 6 speed manual transmission. Victory Red exterior with cashmere interior. Lloyd's mats and cargo liner. New Battery. After market items include Corsa exhaust K & N cold air filter and B & M shifter. VR Speed lingerie bra available but not included in price. Car looks like new 13,400 miles on the odometer.
Price reduced to $28,000
View Quote

2007 Z06 for 38k
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Dynamically, they are two totally different cars.

Do you want a hammer or a sword?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Mustang but I'd want the solid rear axle.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I would vote for the Mustang as well.  After market parts will be cheaper and it will be faster then the Cayman. You will have a better warranty and have a lower cost of owner ship. The mustang also has back seats so you can put stuff back there for road trips and you have a bigger trunk. Aftermarket support is much better as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would you want to handicap your handling?  This is not  like the poorly designed (in comparison) previous 1999-2004 Cobra IRS which was an afterthought and a compromise at best (it was bolted in a car which was never designed for IRS).  The current design worked so well in testing that they had to redesign the front suspension to make it perform at the same level.  For drag racing, they have run at least 11s (maybe quicker by now) with the 2015 IRS so far.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#25]
OP just to make you decision a little easier - I went to a local dealership and snapped some pics of the 15s. The pics do no justice however, they are absolutely gorgeous in person. Potato (phone) camera pics coming soon.

Black - GT with some options - sticker was $37k.
Silver (next to black) - Ecoboost 4cyl Premium. Sticker was about $30k IIRC.
Blue - Loaded GT Premium. Every option I think - $43k
Silver - Base GT with electronics package - $33k

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP just to make you decision a little easier - I went to a local dealership and snapped some pics of the 15s. The pics do no justice however, they are absolutely gorgeous in person. Potato (phone) camera pics coming soon.

Black - GT with some options - sticker was $37k.
Silver (next to black) - Ecoboost 4cyl Premium. Sticker was about $30k IIRC.
Blue - Loaded GT Premium. Every option I think - $43k
Silver - Base GT with electronics package - $33k

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5598/15388224090_6a40b69139_b.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/15550144486_01f9300ba6_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3953/15388223050_9e1b2c11b0_b.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5597/15574699942_26645ab086_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3955/15573844365_ce90a23c25_b.jpg
View Quote

The car looks really great in blue, probably even better with some white stripes.

Good to know they are in dealers, I'll have to go test drive a couple.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
My 06 is blue with white stripes so I've gotta agree it does look good .

My dealership has 4 in stock and 8 more on order.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't buy a Mustang.

Yawn, and not very good at anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't buy a Mustang.

View Quote

BMW M3 owners would disagree with you.

After seeing those pictures, I'm sold on the redesign.  Looks reallllly good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why would you want to handicap your handling?  This is not  like the poorly designed (in comparison) previous 1999-2004 Cobra IRS which was an afterthought and a compromise at best (it was bolted in a car which was never designed for IRS).  The current design worked so well in testing that they had to redesign the front suspension to make it perform at the same level.  For drag racing, they have run at least 11s (maybe quicker by now) with the 2015 IRS so far.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The current 2015 IRS may wind up showing ugly aspects after power mods and hard track use come down the pike.

The suspension is borrowed from another car, think aussie design if I recall correctly.

It has off axis pivots for inboard pivot points on the lower control arm.    How the hell those things will move without lots of compliance/binding is beyond me and likely mandates rubber in those joints.    So much for low compliance poly, delrin, or heims for a performance based suspension.

Rear IRS looks compromised to me in that Ford is trying to cram one suspension design into as many cars as possible.     Better than the 99-04 IRS, probably.

About the only reason I am hesitant on the 2015 is because the rear end.    Let the car live for 2-3 years and see what rears its head.    Rest of drive train is pretty much known variable.

My 05 GT is a pretty monumental leap beyond my 95 Cobra.    If the 2015 cannot be an equal monumental leap from my 2005 then I should just sell my 05 and get a 2014 Boss 302.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The current 2015 IRS may wind up showing ugly aspects after power mods and hard track use come down the pike.

The suspension is borrowed from another car, think aussie design if I recall correctly.

It has off axis pivots for inboard pivot points on the lower control arm.    How the hell those things will move without lots of compliance/binding is beyond me and likely mandates rubber in those joints.    So much for low compliance poly, delrin, or heims for a performance based suspension.

Rear IRS looks compromised to me in that Ford is trying to cram one suspension design into as many cars as possible.     Better than the 99-04 IRS, probably.

About the only reason I am hesitant on the 2015 is because the rear end.    Let the car live for 2-3 years and see what rears its head.    Rest of drive train is pretty much known variable.

My 05 GT is a pretty monumental leap beyond my 95 Cobra.    If the 2015 cannot be an equal monumental leap from my 2005 then I should just sell my 05 and get a 2014 Boss 302.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lock down brace and upgraded half shafts will be out in no time. IRS can launch at the track also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lock down brace and upgraded half shafts will be out in no time. IRS can launch at the track also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not referring to the half shafts.

Already aware of them and the new "super 8.8".

My point is that anyone who thinks this IRS was designed fresh for this mustang is kidding themselves.   Mustang 6G had found the suspension geometry from some Aussie branded car shortly after spy photos of the 2015 Mustangs rear was first hitting the net.

There is a strange off axis joint in lower control arm and it causes me to wonder how/when it will bind.

Having a triangulated 4 link on my 95 Cobra I know the limitations of trying to put poly in areas that require rubber, poly can make binding worse.

My guess is revised suspension geometry/lower control arms will come about for actual gods honest cornering.

I dont really care about drag racing.   My buddy who has a sponsored 900+ drag car and currently at 9.4x @ 140+ does.

But I am hoping Ford can come up with a stang that can start to nip on heels of current Z28.

I dont think we will see it with the simple addition of a rubber bushed and compromised/borrowed IRS.     It simply isnt set to kill.

I like my 3 link and panhard bar straight rear axle.   For what it is it is simple and works.    I am not sure the IRS is a monumental improvement and we will know for sure when people put straight rear axles under the 2015 and it will happen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The suspension is borrowed from another car, think aussie design if I recall correctly. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The suspension is borrowed from another car, think aussie design if I recall correctly. .

Have a cite for that?  It is reportedly a clean slate design.  There has already been hard track testing and they are singing its praises.

Quoted:

If the 2015 cannot be an equal monumental leap from my 2005 then I should just sell my 05 and get a 2014 Boss 302.

The 2015 has already proven its prowess on test tracks as reported by multiple independent sources.   Your criticism of the geometry is unwarranted and apparently not based in reality.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't buy a Mustang.

Trust me - the pictures don't do ANY justice. I needed a change of shorts after I saw the deep impact blue car. Good lord it's sexy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have a cite for that?  It is reportedly a clean slate design.  There has already been hard track testing and they are singing its praises.

The 2015 has already proven its prowess on test tracks as reported by multiple independent sources.   Your criticism of the geometry is unwarranted and apparently not based in reality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the 2015 cannot be an equal monumental leap from my 2005 then I should just sell my 05 and get a 2014 Boss 302.

Hey is it an improvement?

Yes.  The ecoboost is turning hot laps not far behind the out going track pack 2014s at willow springs.

But is it set to kill mode?   Hell no.    It is also a brand new car and like i said I am waiting to see how it plays out.

Half shafts and super 8.8 dont matter for shit if your rubber bushings get beaten to shit within 20k mikes of hard use.    Having seen how my 95 was breaking my spine when the rubber bushings were toast, I know what is to come on the 2015.     Huge torsional forces are going to be acting on the lower control arm and its rubber bushings.    I wonder if binding is how they get some of their praised anti squat.

As for suspension geometry and discussion of source for IRS, looking for it now but suspect it is here.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/s550-suspension-school-1110p2.html

I love mustangs, I really do.   But I also know them to have some compromises that make me skeptical about them being able to achieve greatness/perfection.

None of my mustangs are stock.  I am doing as much with them as I can within their limitations.    It is also why I am goi.g to wait on the 2015 to see if there are limitations that need addressing or sorting.

I seriously do want a 2015 PP GT.   It may be that instead of buying new I wait a few years because by then I wont feel bad about modding the shit out of a used car.

But I do want to get a Coyote based mustang in the worst way.   If for no other reason than to get it before CARB/CAFE make V8s extinct.

Edit...

Not the above link but these two , note pre-existing design early in thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/cd4-chassis-school-842.html?t=842
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/s550-chassis-school-1594.html

The top down schematic showing the off axis pivot of the control arm is part of my concern.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes.  The ecoboost is turning hot laps not far behind the out going track pack 2014s at willow springs.

But is it set to kill mode?   Hell no.  
View Quote

It is not intended to handle like a "sports car" read "beat the shit out of you on the typical pot hole covered surface street".   What it does is make every GT before it look like they handle like  F150s  in comparison and it does a respectable job of approaching the twisty performance of the  Camaro SS 1LE for far less $$.
You get a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so long as you do not get caught "racing" it on the track (actual sanctioned racing event, not just test and tune).  The basic "track pack" Mustang GT only has a MSRP of $35,420.    The typical Camaro SS 1LE is going to MSRP over $40K.   That is pretty impressive for the Mustang.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is not intended to handle like a "sports car" read "beat the shit out of you on the typical pot hole covered surface street".   What it does is make every GT before it look like they handle like  F150s  in comparison and it does a respectable job of approaching the twisty performance of the  Camaro SS 1LE for far less $$.
You get a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so long as you do not get caught "racing" it on the track (actual sanctioned racing event, not just test and tune).  The basic "track pack" Mustang GT only has a MSRP of $35,420.    The typical Camaro SS 1LE is going to MSRP over $40K.   That is pretty impressive for the Mustang.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But is it set to kill mode?   Hell no.  

Hopefully the sub assembly that holds the rear IRS can just be swapped out for a redesigned piece that is less compromised.

LethalPerformance already has precisely that out of the car while looking to make a 9in rear by the sounds of things.

Still waiting to see.    Hoping the GT350 is more towards the Z28 side of things.    

And I am reserving on the SN197 handling like an F150 until after I play with an SN550.

I am hoping that the danger of drive shafts grenading if going above 150 is a thing of the past as well.

Being a 2 generation Mustang owner I am used to being the under dog.    But I am not convinced the IRS alone is a substantial improvement over simply getting a Boss 302 and modding it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hopefully the sub assembly that holds the rear IRS can just be swapped out for a redesigned piece that is less compromised.
LethalPerformance already has precisely that out of the car while looking to make a 9in rear by the sounds of things..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
LethalPerformance already has precisely that out of the car while looking to make a 9in rear by the sounds of things..

I have no doubt that someone will have a live axle conversion before the end of the 2015 model year production.  

Quoted:

Hoping the GT350 is more towards the Z28 side of things.    .

Ford is in the business of making a profit.  Of course they would reserve a "premium" suspension for their premium model.  All they need to do is alter springs and shocks and swap out wheels/tires to run down the Z28.  I think that a version which WILL do this is a certainty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have no doubt that someone will have a live axle conversion before the end of the 2015 model year production.  

Ford is in the business of making a profit.  Of course they would reserve a "premium" suspension for their premium model.  All they need to do is alter springs and shocks and swap out wheels/tires to run down the Z28.  I think that a version which WILL do this is a certainty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hoping the GT350 is more towards the Z28 side of things.    .

I hope the GT350 can do it but I dont think it will be able to keep up with active magnetic ride technology.   As big a Ford fan as I am that damn Z28 is magic for as heavy as it is.

Given there are trade offs.   A bit less technology can be a good thing and is why I love my 95.    If I dont get a 2015 I want to use the money to build a FFR 65 Coupe.   No antilock, no power steering, nothing but 2500 pounds, 450+hp 427, and me.    Your only as fast as bravery and talent will permit you to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top