Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 1:54:02 PM EDT
Finally...

I love my '08 650 but sometimes I just want a bigger (and less-ugly) bike.

The '15 will look better, perform better, AND has a center stand.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it. If I had to do some kind of dual sport/tourer/sportbike combo. That would be it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The exhaust sure leaves a lot to be desired. That's a mighty small hole to let out 1,000 CCs of flow. When are they going to figure out that people hate those butt-ugly rear fenders?
I reckon I'll be stickin to my ZRX, and RM250 2-stroke.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it.  This new trend towards bikes that are actually useful rather than extreme dirt or extreme speed, etc.....is nice.

In other words, it's nice to see competition for the V-stroms, finally.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The exhaust sure leaves a lot to be desired. That's a mighty small hole to let out 1,000 CCs of flow. When are they going to figure out that people hate those butt-ugly rear fenders?
View Quote

Thank the DOT for the rear fender.

And it won't be a powerhouse, so that exhaust should do fine for the average owner of that bike who doesn't subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" mantra.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And it won't be a powerhouse, so that exhaust should do fine for the average owner of that bike who doesn't subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" mantra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't subscribe to the "loud pipes saves lives" mantra, but I do know that aftermarket exhausts are the single most performance gain to be had.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When are they going to figure out that people hate those butt-ugly rear fenders?
View Quote

Because it's too hard to bolt on a fender elimination kit.    

I have been installing fender elimination kits on my street bikes since I bought my new 1983 GpZ1100.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably going to be a great bike.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  The .gov is responsible for that fender nonsense and my 650 has more than enough power for the bike's designed purpose (it's not an upright Ninja). The 1000 is not intended to be an upright z1000 so the exhaust makes sense to me.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone asked earlier about whether the engine would be re-tuned.  Apparently it will...

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/2015-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-first-look

The Versys 1000 utilizes the same 1043cc inline-four powerplant as the Z1000 and Ninja 1000, but with subtle changes to improve low-end torque and midrange power. Different combustion chambers reduce compression from the Z1000/Ninja 1000’s 11.8:1 to 10.3:1, with milder cams sporting less lift, duration, and overlap. First and second gear ratios are shorter, and third through sixth gears are taller.

Awesome, IMO. One of my favorite aspects of the 650 is the low-end torque.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone asked earlier about whether the engine would be re-tuned.  Apparently it will...

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/2015-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-first-look

The Versys 1000 utilizes the same 1043cc inline-four powerplant as the Z1000 and Ninja 1000, but with subtle changes to improve low-end torque and midrange power. Different combustion chambers reduce compression from the Z1000/Ninja 1000’s 11.8:1 to 10.3:1, with milder cams sporting less lift, duration, and overlap. First and second gear ratios are shorter, and third through sixth gears are taller.

Awesome, IMO. One of my favorite aspects of the 650 is the low-end torque.
View Quote

I would not want a detuned engine.
Give me the full tilt boogie engine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Give me the full tilt boogie engine
View Quote

It says re-tuned...not de-tuned.

The Z/N1K's already have hellacious midrange. If this tune improves the low/mid-range, then...

This V1K is the bike I've been wanting ever since I bought my Ninja 1K a year and a half ago. Same engine/frame, with a more pillion-friendly seat/subframe and better bag integration than my Givi V35's.

The biggest choke on the 1043 engine is the headers, not the mufflers. You can remove the stock mufflers on the Ninja, and noise only increases slightly. The catbox under the bike chokes most of the sound. Biggest advantage to removing the stock mufflers is weight. Mine has full Akro exhaust  (header and mufflers)...noticeable difference in power increase, weight reduction, and heat reduction. I noticed in the Kawi promo video one of the V1K bikes had an Akro muffler...hopefully they'll produce a header also.

If they don't go berserk with the MSRP, I'll be selling the N1K and picking one up.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Oooooooo shit. I had a 2009 ER-6N that I really liked but wanted something just a little bigger with more power. That Versys 1000 looks mighty tempting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Z/N1K's already have hellacious midrange. If this tune improves the low/mid-range, then...

This V1K is the bike I've been wanting ever since I bought my Ninja 1K a year and a half ago. Same engine/frame, with a more pillion-friendly seat/subframe and better bag integration than my Givi V35's.

The biggest choke on the 1043 engine is the headers, not the mufflers. You can remove the stock mufflers on the Ninja, and noise only increases slightly. The catbox under the bike chokes most of the sound. Biggest advantage to removing the stock mufflers is weight. Mine has full Akro exhaust  (header and mufflers)...noticeable difference in power increase, weight reduction, and heat reduction. I noticed in the Kawi promo video one of the V1K bikes had an Akro muffler...hopefully they'll produce a header also.

If they don't go berserk with the MSRP, I'll be selling the N1K and picking one up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me the full tilt boogie engine

Each and every time they (the Big 4) say re-tuned they mean neutered.

Re-tuned for bottom end and midrange mean no top end.

I can list a bunch of bikes that Kawasaki has done that stupid shit to.

"The ZL900 engine was a transplanted and slightly modified version of the liquid-cooled Inline 4 introduced in the 1984 Kawasaki ZX900 Ninja. Kawasaki used smaller 32 mm carburetors (the ZX900 used 34 mm), different timing and camshafts with less duration. This gave the engine a different personality, trading the Ninja's high-end power for low-end and mid-range performance that was more suitable for a cruiser."

Translation: We removed the balls from the engine and gave it a vagina.

ZX-11 - 145 bhp

ZRX-1100 - 106 bhp

And then they do stupid shit like give the de-balled bikes a 5 speed transmission.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Neutered on the top end means a better all around engine for a bike designed to be closer to the adv touring market. It's not a sport bike.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm stoked that the versys 1000 is finally coming to the US. personally I'm not big on the aesthetic redesign though, looks too much like the vstrom.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Neutered on the top end means a better all around engine for a bike designed to be closer to the adv touring market. It's not a sport bike.
View Quote

If KTM can have a 150 HP adventure touring bike...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
The Versys 1000 LT is powered by a version of the counterbalanced 1043cc inline-four found in the Z1000 and Ninja 1000, tuned to produce a claimed 120 hp and 72.2 foot pounds of torque (the latest Z1000 is rated at 142 hp and 81.7 foot pounds of torque while the latest Ninja1000 makes 138  hp and 74.4 foot pounds of torque).
The Ninja 1000 engine waslready de-tuned for more "midrange".    

Another bike that has had its balls removed.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Versys 1000 LT is powered by a version of the counterbalanced 1043cc inline-four found in the Z1000 and Ninja 1000, tuned to produce a claimed 120 hp and 72.2 foot pounds of torque (the latest Z1000 is rated at 142 hp and 81.7 foot pounds of torque while the latest Ninja1000 makes 138  hp and 74.4 foot pounds of torque).The Ninja 1000 engine waslready de-tuned for more "midrange".    

View Quote

120hp and 72.2 = no balls?

interesting. and what monstrous power house of a bike are you riding?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Versys 1000 LT is powered by a version of the counterbalanced 1043cc inline-four found in the Z1000 and Ninja 1000, tuned to produce a claimed 120 hp and 72.2 foot pounds of torque (the latest Z1000 is rated at 142 hp and 81.7 foot pounds of torque while the latest Ninja1000 makes 138  hp and 74.4 foot pounds of torque).The Ninja 1000 engine waslready de-tuned for more "midrange".    

131 HP TL1000R, 48 HP 2011 KTM 300, 52 HP KTM XCW.

What about you?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top