Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 11:05:57 PM EDT
The hesitation isn't exactly new, but the hard starts are. The last few times I've taken it out, it took quite a bit of cranking to get it to start. It cranked just fine, but it wouldn't start.

As far as the hesitation goes, it usually only happens in the first few times I accelerate at residential speeds leaving the neighborhood. The drops in power are pretty significant when it happens.

There's no CEL, but I think I'm looking at something electrical.

I have a few guesses, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right path.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My first thought would be spark plugs.

Problems getting spark could be the reason for the hard start

Hesitation could be misfires due to bad plugs
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Crapped out fuel injector spider.

Extremely common
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Extremely common

View Quote
This exactly.  Does it idle like crap too?  The spider has poppets on the ends and they leak and constantly dribble fuel with age.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't been under the doghouse of a second gen Astro before.

Is this thing accessable, or do I need the skills of an Asian contortionist?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I intend to test the pressure in the fuel system, but I've been thinking...

The van is easy to start once it's been running. It's only after it's been sitting that it gets really hard to start. Is this maybe more of an issue with the fuel pump?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I intend to test the pressure in the fuel system, but I've been thinking...

The van is easy to start once it's been running. It's only after it's been sitting that it gets really hard to start. Is this maybe more of an issue with the fuel pump?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Extremely common
View Quote

They were still using those in that year? Wow GM.
My 92 blazer ate those for breakfast, lunch and dinner, horrible system.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extremely common

I think they redesigned the system to eliminate the poppets in 03
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I just tested the fuel pressure-

Initial key on, fuel pump humming: 61 psi
Key on, engine off: 52 psi
Key on, engine running: 54 psi
Key off: 52 psi. In this state, the pressure drops slowly. Without timing it, I'd say maybe 2psi per minute.

What's next?

ETA: I guess the pressure drop is slower than that. It still had 30 psi an hour later.

I hooked up a scanner to look at anything else that might be of interest. The ECT was showing 90 degrees. I'm not sure if that's too high or not. Today's high was 65, but I ran the engine briefly an hour earlier, and everything was cool to the touch. I guess I'll let it sit for a few hours and scan it again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I should also mention... When it was idling, the needle on the fuel pressure gauge fluttered. When I gave it any throttle at all, the needle steadied.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I decided to check the ECT again after the van had about 5hrs to sit. It was reading ~16 degrees higher than it should have, but I'm not sure if that's enough to cause a problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
You already got the answer to your problem, it lies inside the intake manifold.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless I'm missing something, this suggests otherwise:

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/testing-the-spider-fuel-injector-1

Let's interpret the results of your fuel pressure leak down test:
CASE 1: The fuel pressure gauge's needle DID NOT drop down to 0 PSI immediately after the Key was turned to the Off position: This tells you that the fuel pressure regulator and the other components that are part of the fuel injector assembly are NOT BAD.

This test is very accurate, so you don't need to remove the intake manifold plenum to visually confirm it's effectiveness and/or truthfullness!

Plus, it's missing some of the more commonly mentioned symptoms. The idle isn't particularly bad, and it isn't smoking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fuel pressures are normal so yes there is a good chance it's the spider but since they are relatively expensive and take a few hours to change I would rule out any ignition problems first. A localized spray down test with a water bottle at the ignition coil, distributor cap, and then ignition wires while the engine is running may quickly reveal any trouble spots. You will see or hear the spark arc out, or the motor may even stall if you hit the problem area.

I had one in the shop with a hard start/long crank time a few months ago. It was a 2000 GMC Safari so basically it's the same van as yours. Every time I tried to duplicate the issue throughout the day, the car would start. Then I let it sit overnight. It took a little longer than before to start but not long enough for me to pinpoint the cause. I got my spray bottle (with only water) and began to wet it down in sections...beginning with the ignition coil. Right away the spark jumped out of the ignition coil body and stalled the motor. Problem found.
View Quote

Is the idea of this test to look for compromised insulation or shorts?

Are you aiming more at components themselves or their connections?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen quite a few cap and rotors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good question, this test actually checks components more so than connectors but can actually test both in certain situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuel pressures are normal so yes there is a good chance it's the spider but since they are relatively expensive and take a few hours to change I would rule out any ignition problems first. A localized spray down test with a water bottle at the ignition coil, distributor cap, and then ignition wires while the engine is running may quickly reveal any trouble spots. You will see or hear the spark arc out, or the motor may even stall if you hit the problem area.

I had one in the shop with a hard start/long crank time a few months ago. It was a 2000 GMC Safari so basically it's the same van as yours. Every time I tried to duplicate the issue throughout the day, the car would start. Then I let it sit overnight. It took a little longer than before to start but not long enough for me to pinpoint the cause. I got my spray bottle (with only water) and began to wet it down in sections...beginning with the ignition coil. Right away the spark jumped out of the ignition coil body and stalled the motor. Problem found.

Is the idea of this test to look for compromised insulation or shorts?

Are you aiming more at components themselves or their connections?

Good question, this test actually checks components more so than connectors but can actually test both in certain situations.

It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to play with it, and it's a bit wet out tonight, so I decided to check it out.

When I was starting the van, it was again hard to crank. I think moisture might be a variable. As it was cranking, I'm pretty sure I could hear sparks.

I sprayed the distributor, the spark plug wires, and the ignition coil, and I didn't hear anything that stood out to me.

I don't know if I had good coverage, though. Access to the lower ends of the spark plug wires and the ignition coil is limited, and I couldn't really see what I was doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top