Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 8:45:02 PM EDT
Is there any advantage to putting chains on all 4 wheels of a 2wd truck?

After last years debacle I'm going to order a set for just in case.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Steering and braking is pretty fun to be able to do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steering and braking is pretty fun to be able to do.
View Quote

I agree. Reason I ask is from what I see online it mainly says drive wheels.

We don't have much experience with them in Ga so I just don't know...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohhh got ya

Yea, two sets of chains will give you the maximum amount of acceleration, braking, steering, and stability (I.E. keep the tail from whipping around).
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ohhh got ya

Yea, two sets of chains will give you the maximum amount of acceleration, braking, steering, and stability (I.E. keep the tail from whipping around).
View Quote

cool thank you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Think of having a truck in 4WD Low and trying to turn on a paved road- same effect with chains on front tires.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OOhh,  other important part, make sure they are installed correctly, and chech them often.  Test fitting when it's nice outside can be handy so you're not doing it the first time in a storm.  

They also won't let you drive "normal" of course, still have to keep speed down, and the momentum in check when going downhill or turning, on the flip side, it helps to keep the momentum up when trying to pull hills.  

Sucks the only way to get good at it is practice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there any advantage to putting chains on all 4 wheels of a 2wd truck?

After last years debacle I'm going to order a set for just in case.

Thanks
View Quote

For snow and ice, snow tires work pretty well.  Chains will be better, but much more limited in speed and you will have to install and remove them as needed.  Snow tires go on for the season.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no point to snow tires in the south. We only get snow for a couple days if that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What is this "slow down" you speak of? <- Subaru forester, with blizzak tires. I like snow days, I can pull hotties out of ditches all day long and get phone numbers...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
then just stay off the roads.
I've been driving in snow for 34 years..never needed chains yet. You folks down south don't have a traction problem..you have a "I don't know how to drive in snow" problem..and even if you make an attempt to drive for conditions..you will get t-boned by some asshat that doesn't...
so....I'd stay off the roads for those few days.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no point to snow tires in the south. We only get snow for a couple days if that.
I've been driving in snow for 34 years..never needed chains yet. You folks down south don't have a traction problem..you have a "I don't know how to drive in snow" problem..and even if you make an attempt to drive for conditions..you will get t-boned by some asshat that doesn't...

Would love to... Except between my job and sometimes hard headed GF I usually end up having to go in or rescue her. Hence why I ask.

Personally i'd be more than happy to sit on the couch and enjoy the show from my tv.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case, just stay home those days.  Most people in the south can't drive well in the snow.  Most people up here drive pretty badly the first couple of snows.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would love to... Except between my job and sometimes hard headed GF I usually end up having to go in or rescue her. Hence why I ask.

Personally i'd be more than happy to sit on the couch and enjoy the show from my tv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you convince her that other people can't drive and you are concerned for her safety?  (the first is definitely true, and I would presume the latter is as well)
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats 'cause you get SNOW, just like we do, mostly.

However, the south is famous for ICE storms, which we get a few of.

Basically, freezing rain, which puts up to an inch of ice on everything.

With a coating of water on top, it is amazingly slippery, as in cannot stand up on it slippery.

If ya gotta go out in it, 4 chains is the only way, and watch out for all the assholes with their

All-wheel drive, all-season tires, on their SUV. Instant disaster.

They can go, but cannot stop or turn.

Just stay home, unless you know about those conditions.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if that's what they get..then hell yes..stay off the roads..

View Quote

Yes that is what we get... Not that nice high traction snow.

And as I said staying off the roads isn't always an option when the GF won't fucking listen....
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
a coworkers girlfriend wouldn't listen to him either a few years ago..insisted on going out in a bad snow storm. She made it about 5 miles from her house and was killed when she lost control of her car.
There is absolutely nowhere your girlfriend needs to be that is worth getting killed over..if she can't understand that..I don't know what to tell you..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And as I said staying off the roads isn't always an option when the GF won't fucking listen....
a coworkers girlfriend wouldn't listen to him either a few years ago..insisted on going out in a bad snow storm. She made it about 5 miles from her house and was killed when she lost control of her car.
There is absolutely nowhere your girlfriend needs to be that is worth getting killed over..if she can't understand that..I don't know what to tell you..

She's one of those "dedicated" types that will go into work when I told her NOT to because of what I know is coming... And then get stuck on the way home and call my crying. I can't stand a crying woman!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

She's one of those "dedicated" types that will go into work when I told her NOT to because of what I know is coming... And then get stuck on the way home and call my crying. I can't stand a crying woman!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you get her to change jobs to a place that will shut down for bad weather.  There have been a few times that we were told the building would be closed the next day and not to come in due to weather.  We have also been told to go home by certain time.  (heavy snow storms at the local office and Hurricane Sandy in our Philly office)
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
A good set of all terrain tires does help if you don't want to get snow tires. I have some Cooper Discoverer ATR all terrains on my Bronco and get along pretty well. It's only when it's extremely slick that I need to use 4 wheel drive.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Be careful with your steering linkage and break lines. ;-) .  keep them chains TIGHT!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Tell her to keep her 'dedicated' ass at work, if she chooses to go there with an impending storm. Doesn't matter if you have chains when every road is clogged with disabled vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

sounds like she needs to spend the day/night in her car waiting for the weather to break. she won't stop going out on the roads if she knows you will come "save" her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like she needs to spend the day/night in her car waiting for the weather to break. she won't stop going out on the roads if she knows you will come "save" her.

While I don't disagree with you I wouldn't sleep good or feel good about myself if I left her out there and had the means to go get her.

Perhaps a firm spanking when back in the warm would do the same thing? Probably get in as much trouble but at least it'd be fun!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I have  run chains on front, and, in my experience they do NOTHING to help steering. On a fourwheel drive they will add very significant traction, and a bit of braking.
Both of my snowplow trucks stay chained up, all 4 wheels, all year.

as far as road going vehicles, a pair of good heavy chains on the drive axle will get you through damn near anything  a wheeled vehicle is capable of.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Think of having a truck in 4WD Low and trying to turn on a paved road- same effect with chains on front tires.
View Quote

Not in a 2WD, the only way you'll even know they're there is because of the vibration. Under more than moderate power you'll still power right through any steering input, but you should be down to just off-idle when turning in conditions that require chains, anyway. It helps keep your chains from breaking and beating the hell out of the fenders.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So put an overnight kit in her trunk, so she can camp at work.

Sleeping bag, pillow, air mattress, bathroom supplies, snacks/microwave food.

Then at least she would be safe, and having the option means 'HAVING to go' is not as demanding.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
cannot imagine any adverse weather in GA is worth the hassle of snow chains...  just wait 4 hrs till it melts.

BTW, unless you have consistent snow cover on the road, nothing says ouch like hitting a dry patch with snow chains at 30-40 mph.  If  snow chains on the front wheels gives you any advantage while steering, you are driving too fast.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Southern Ice thread?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Southern Ice thread?
View Quote

Southern Ice Tbone thread for sure...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I've used them front and back going up to the cabin, mostly so I wouldn't rough house the truck with just the rear wheels grabbing.  keep in mind there is usually 2" or more ice under the snow when I do this.

I've been with dad when he's put them on the front going downhill on the same mountain in a 2WD truck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, there are benefits.  

Chains/cables limit your speed to 25-35mph, but even on a 2wd truck they make a lot of difference.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes, there are benefits.  

Chains/cables limit your speed to 25-35mph, but evenespecially on a 2wd truck they make a lot of difference.
View Quote

I use chains on the rear of my 2WD F350 and it's unstoppable even in 3-4 feet of snow. My driveway isn't plowed when I leave for work at 0415, and with chains I just drive through however much snow there is, bust through the 1-2 foot taller windrow at the road, and don't have to worry about spinning, sliding, or going sideways. I keep my speed between 25-30 unless the visibility is so bad that I have to go slower, and the vibration isn't all that bad. I have the ladder-bar style chains now, when I get a new set I'm going with the style that has a chain running down the circumference of the tread to cut back on vibration. Between the chains and the new studded snow tires I just put on all 4 corners, winter doesn't stop me from getting where I need to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top