Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 28 of 60)
Page / 60
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Easy_E] [#1]
I bought a cheap amazon set of LEDs and really never had a issue with ice buildup . They dont get hot enough to melt snow the only time something sticks is freezing rain . As someone above said they are a hundred times brighter and maybe fifty times with ice on them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
I bought a cheap amazon set of LEDs and really never had a issue with ice buildup . They dont get hot enough to melt snow the only time something sticks is freezing rain . As someone above said they are a hundred times brighter and maybe fifty times with ice on them.
View Quote
Any issues with flickering? I went with beamtech, and they’ve flickered slightly since day 1.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mak07] [#3]
Upgraded to 3” springs, control arms, front and rear track bars and tie rod.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hellafunctional:
Any issues with flickering? I went with beamtech, and they've flickered slightly since day 1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Any issues with flickering? I went with beamtech, and they've flickered slightly since day 1.
I bought these: Clicky

The maker claims the resistor is internal, and not on the wiring. Whatever it is, they work great with NO flickering. Huge improvement over stock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:10:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easy_E] [#5]
Any issues with flickering? I went with beamtech, and they’ve flickered slightly since day 1.
View All Quotes
No issues the work great !
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the week off, so I finally got my overdrive installed. Of course that warranted an obligatory test drive in the 20 degree weather

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KingRollo:

Neat racks! Any more pics of them?

Can you put a snowboard on the top one? How much weight does the rear one hold?

Debating 2 vs 4 door right now. I have only ever had 2 doors but lately I am thinking about all the shit I want to carry.
View Quote
I can try and get a few more pics up.

The top rack is the Rhino Rack Backbone with aero bars and there is snowboard racks for it.

The rear rack is pieced together from lumber racking and aluminum Harbor freight rack,  no idea how much it will hold Ild be comfortable with 100lbs as it is with most of the weight center and on the passenger side.  It needs the MORyde tailgate reinforcement added.

The back of mine is for the spare tire and the dog so most of my stuff goes on the back or up top.  There is a molle panel coming for the back soon to store stuff just under the hard top.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
I have the week off, so I finally got my overdrive installed. Of course that warranted an obligatory test drive in the 20 degree weather

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/1949%20Cj3a/0B158322-E747-48B0-8758-5C211F877C44.jpg
View Quote
how does that work?  add a 4th shifter?  i looked into one for my m38a1 but it sounds like it makes the parking brake inop to install it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/1949%20Cj3a/0B158322-E747-48B0-8758-5C211F877C44.jpg
View Quote
Looks great. I want to get a flattie so bad.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Today's group ride

Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
More from today

My jeep is the one doing the pulling in the first two pics
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
More from today

https://i.imgur.com/D5tasrM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/A0C4a9n.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cb3FMAl.jpg

View Quote
Looks like a fun day
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Looks like a fun day
View All Quotes
More from today

Looks like a fun day
That first pic is a supercharged JK on 35s with front and rear lockers. I was impressed that I was even able to get him out of something that he'd managed to get stuck in.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
That first pic is a supercharged JK on 35s with front and rear lockers. I was impressed that I was even able to get him out of something that he'd managed to get stuck in.
View All Quotes
More from today

Looks like a fun day
That significantly improves the fun factor. You look like you had decent traction though. Are you locked?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vanilla_gorilla] [#16]

That significantly improves the fun factor. You look like you had decent traction though. Are you locked?
View Quote
Limited slip rear. Open front.

4.56s and lockers are sitting in my junk room, waiting to be installed
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]
LS rear. Open front.

View All Quotes

LS rear. Open front.

Crack those diffs, no point in waiting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

LS rear. Open front.

Oh no! I'm not smart enough to do diffs, but I am smart enough to know that's above my pay grade
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unclemoak] [#19]
Originally Posted By Aguas:
how does that work?  add a 4th shifter?  i looked into one for my m38a1 but it sounds like it makes the parking brake inop to install it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aguas:

I have the benefit of using a Dana 18 transfercase. It's as simple as removing the cover plate and the main gear from the normal output from the transmission and installing the planetary assembly, then the auxiliary case. Probably took all of an hour to install.

Here's a link to some instrucions - http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_an_overdrive.htm

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh no! I'm not smart enough to do diffs, but I am smart enough to know that's above my pay grade
View All Quotes

LS rear. Open front.

It’s not that bad, basic math and vision are the only requirements. Gonna be awesome when you get it done though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:31:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#21]

Limited slip rear. Open front.

View Quote
Your gonna love 4.56. I'm almost 4500 miles into my 15 JKU with 4.56 regear. I went with front and rear Trutracs and sleeved and gusseted my Dana 30.

I barely drive my fully built TJ anymore....

My next project is adding one 1/2'' spacer to the right rear. Gotta correct my "JK lean". That 1/2" is driving me bat shit crazy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife's Jeep ready for Christmas!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Looks fun!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks fun!
View All Quotes
Looks fun!
It was. There were also some actually difficult spots, too.

My girlfriend failed to get video and pics of me doing actual obstacles, so all I have are a couple of pulls and some puddle pics.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#26]

My girlfriend failed to get video and pics of me doing actual obstacles, so all I have are a couple of pulls and some puddle pics.
View All Quotes
Looks fun!

Due to my GF being short and my Jeep being fairly high she doesn't get out very often to get good footage either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Did a few trails at Windrock in TN last week.  Man that is a big place.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jonboy20:
Did a few trails at Windrock in TN last week.  Man that is a big place.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85934/20181119_133213_jpg-754034.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85934/20181119_140620_jpg-754035.JPG
View Quote
I've never been, but there's a few guys from my group that go on the regular. You look pretty stock, did you have a tough time anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#29]

I have the benefit of using a Dana 18 transfercase. It's as simple as removing the cover plate and the main gear from the normal output from the transmission and installing the planetary assembly, then the auxiliary case. Probably took all of an hour to install.

Here's a link to some instrucions - http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/installing_an_overdrive.htm

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/1949%20Cj3a/71C012D4-9B7C-43F8-B7CD-CA75804BCCDF.jpg
View Quote
interesting.  I'll admit my A1 is the only standard vehicle I've ever had;  how does using that 4th shifter work?  get to 3rd gear the usual way and then shit into overdrive with the new lever?  And do you then have to shift out of it when you've come to a stop and need to start back out in 1st?

I've been following a dude in new england who puts a ridiculous amount of miles on a very early 1945 cj2.  I'm impressed by the little jeeps to say the least.  The CJs seem like more fun than the military willys, if for no other reason than they are cheaper and you can get away with customizing them without hurting the value.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#30]

I've never been, but there's a few guys from my group that go on the regular. You look pretty stock, did you have a tough time anywhere?
View Quote
Almost stock sport s.  Only thing I added was a Rubicon take off coils and shock which give me about 1.5" of lift and some Rubicon rock rails.  The trail where I am in the creek was a little difficult as some places I had to stack rocks a few times so I did not come down on my muffle or bumper.  I pretty much stuck to trails I knew I would survive.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

LS rear. Open front.

What lockers did you go with?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:

View Quote
Not actual lockers, but LSDs. I have an Aussie for the front that I got a deal on, and a Truetrac for the rear. However, the guy that's gonna be doing my gear install has an E-locker that he's trying to convince me to put in, instead. Another guy was having it installed with his gears, and changed his mind and went full ARB.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Not actual lockers, but LSDs. I have an Aussie for the front that I got a deal on, and a Truetrac for the rear. However, the guy that's gonna be doing my gear install has an E-locker that he's trying to convince me to put in, instead. Another guy was having it installed with his gears, and changed his mind and went full ARB.
View All Quotes

Aussie locker and electronic locker would be a good combo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Or full ARB
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
I'm giving it serious thought. We are tentatively planning a group run to Moab and Ouray for 2020, and I think that would be sufficiently capable out there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be concerned than an automatic locker like an Aussie in the front of a JK or any other vehicle without unlocking hubs or an axle disconnect would have a detrimental impact on steering and handling for daily driving and highway trips. Anyone with direct experience that can chime in?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
I would be concerned than an automatic locker like an Aussie in the front of a JK or any other vehicle without unlocking hubs or an axle disconnect would have a detrimental impact on steering and handling for daily driving and highway trips. Anyone with direct experience that can chime in?
View Quote
Have to have it in 4x4 to make them work.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
This two wheel drive you wont notice it. Maybe here clicks on tights turns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Grizzly locker front and rear of my rig.

I never hear or notice the front locker when I'm in 2wd and driving on the street.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
I’ve had several Jeeps with Aussies front and rear.  You’ll never notice them if the vehicle isn’t in 4wd.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
I've had several Jeeps with Aussies front and rear.  You'll never notice them if the vehicle isn't in 4wd.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RobertL:
I've had several Jeeps with Aussies front and rear.  You'll never notice them if the vehicle isn't in 4wd.
And how did you find the performance with them?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#43]

And how did you find the performance with them?
View Quote
It’s great.  I honestly think I prefer them to air or electronic lockers on a trail rig.  As long as you let off the gas, they turn great. Give it a little power and they’re fully locked, back off a little and the outside wheel will ratchet ahead. It’s easier then clicking your lockers in and out all the time if you get used to them. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rubi, but Aussies are a great option.

I’ve never had it, but a great setup might be an Aussie in the front and a e-locker in the back. A buddy of mine has a Grand Cherokee with an Aussie in the front and a limited slip in the back. It goes almost as well as dual lockers in 4wd and has good street manners in 2wd.  Not a bad setup at all.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Up north elk hunting over the weekend. First time I’ve had the windows in in 5-6 years.

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Not a pic but a question for wrangler owners, 4dr v6 ones in particular.

Anyone ever tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it using a 4dr v6 6spd manual? do you get any whipping feeling? Does the rear of the vehicle sag a lot? Does the trailer pkg have a 7way or is it a 4way plug?

Tried the ask the local Jeep dealer but their sales people were too busy chit chatting with eachother to be bothered.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Rob940:

Anyone ever tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it using a 4dr v6 6spd manual? do you get any whipping feeling? Does the rear of the vehicle sag a lot? Does the trailer pkg have a 7way or is it a 4way plug?

Tried the ask the local Jeep dealer but their sales people were too busy chit chatting with eachother to be bothered.
View Quote
Don’t have a four door but you’ll want to pay attention to the load ratings as they aren’t as high as you’d expect and any mods will also impact it. Generally any whipping would be attributed to how you position the weight with respect to the hitch and axles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rob940:

View Quote
I have a '14 JKUR 6-speed and a similar size utility trailer, although not enclosed. I don't tow all that often but have pulled loads that I'm sure are heavier than your bikes. I've had it up over 70 mph with a trailer and not noticed any whipping, etc, although I'm sure that's just as much a function of the trailer itself and how it's loaded. Also, as APPARITION said, be mindful that the factory tow rating is not very high on these.

In my limited towing experience with a JK I'm thinking your gearing is going to be the deciding factor as far as whether it's tolerable. I can't see 3.21's being acceptable for any amount of towing. 3.73's will probably work for very light towing with factory size, or slightly larger, tires. The 4.10's the rubicon comes with are going to be much better. I've towed with 35's and 4.10's and it was fine for my purposes.  I'm currently modified to the point that towing isn't comparable to anything close to factory due to supercharger, gears and tire size.

Oh and it's a 4-way plug, at least on my '14. I don't know what it is on the new ones.

For what it's worth, if I was shopping for a new vehicle and wanted a jeep but towing was a regular part of its duties, I'd look very hard at the new Gladiator coming out. The wheelbase will suck for tight trails or technical rock crawling but it looks pretty awesome for just about everything else from what I see so far.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:

For what it's worth, if I was shopping for a new vehicle and wanted a jeep but towing was a regular part of its duties, I'd look very hard at the new Gladiator coming out. The wheelbase will suck for tight trails or technical rock crawling but it looks pretty awesome for just about everything else from what I see so far.
View Quote
I'm seriously considering retiring the DD (the increase in gas bill will hurt, but hey...) and replacing it and my expedition trailer with one of these. Move the RTT to the bed of the truck, the bed can carry my stuff, and for tight trails... the tow rating will easily handle my Avatar on a flatbed trailer. (The TJ ain't going anywhere, though it's on the DL at the moment - my Jeep shop went under, and the other good one around  is a bit backed up at the moment)
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
More from today

Looks like a fun day
Good equipment doesn’t make up for picking bad lines, also shit loads of mud.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Good equipment doesn't make up for picking bad lines, also shit loads of mud.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
More from today

Looks like a fun day
Good equipment doesn't make up for picking bad lines, also shit loads of mud.
Ya ever meet one of those folks that believes that he can throw enough money at ANY problem? Yeah...
Page / 60
Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 28 of 60)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top