Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
We're kicking around the idea of something to replace our full size/double cab pick-up as a daily driver and she's really interested in the SUV market. We have a small RAV4 4WD and that does well as a commuter, but is starting to show its age at 180,000 miles. My fiancee almost always insists on driving the truck because she's used to it, but then bitches about how tough it is to park and maneuver. Yeah, I know what you're going to say, but let's move on...lol.

So she really liked the Kia Sorento, till did some research and found it may be a steaming POS. I used to have a 2005 Xterra 4x4 and really liked it, but it sucked gas and had some serious paint issues. I'm still kind of interested in another Xterra if they worked some of the bugs out and they seem much cheaper than the 4Runner. The wildcard in this search is the Pathfinder. She really likes the older style (up to 2012 model year), but I think the newer models would be a better fit and better gas millage. I will admit to liking the older model Pathfinder's styling and body on frame construction. On the other hand, we're not towing anything.

So I'm asking for a little direction and opinions from those who have had or currently own any of the above. Which is better and why? Any known mechanical issues with any of the above? I know about the thing they call the "strawberry milkshake of death" and to avoid 2005-2010 Nissans.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure about the Xterra. I have owned a 2012 Nissan Murano SL  AWD for about 5 months. So far it is a nice little commuter for me and I am liking the "Suzie Soccer Mom" ride. With just myself,wife and 6 year old son, it fits well. The AWD has been surprisingly good on snow/ice last winter. The CVT took some getting accustomed to. A white Murano blends in well, and the compartment under the back mat will fit a 10.5" build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
get the 4runner unless you want another car that looks like a SUV.  Then get a CRV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
New pathfinder isn't really comparable. It's more like a highlander. Depends what you want it to do. The Xterras seem to last a long time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Xterra if your budget is under $30k and 4runner if your budget is under $40k
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I realize the new Pathfinder isn't the same and is based on car/minivan platform.

How does the 2nd gen Pathfinder (body on frame, not unibody) compare to the Xterra? They seem comparably priced despite the higher original MSRP and higher level of amenities.

I'm giving up completely on the 4Runner. I've spent the last hour or two looking through the used listings and prices are simply stupid on them. It would honestly be cheaper to buy new and that's above what we're budgeting for this purchase.

Another thought: get rid of all current vehicles and buy a cherry, low miles gen 1 Xterra for me and a CUV of some sort for her.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Xterra if your budget is under $30k and 4runner if your budget is under $40k
View Quote

The Xterras can be had much cheaper than that even. I bought a 2 year old Xterra S 4x4 with 13K on odometer for $15,000. It was like a brand new car. Surprisingly, it came off a high end dealer lot from the snooty side of town. I gave them a price and didn't waver. They finally gave in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Highly built/modified 4runner here.

For a wife mobile, I would go with the previous gen Pathfinder. I had one as a rental for a few weeks and liked it. IIRC, it had double wishbone suspension front and rear, a frame, and could be had with a transfer case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry but Toyota is over priced and over rated. 09 xterra off road here and love it. Not great on gas averaging 17mpg but 270hp will do that. The beast goes everywhere! Doesn't come with all the foo foo amenities (maybe the newer ones do) but I bought mine specifically because I do take her on adventures and for the price she was perfect. Bought brand new and have 70k on her with zero issues. Just brakes, tires and a battery to date. Last of the real SUV's. I highly recommend a test drive while on your quest and good luck on your purchase.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but Toyota is over priced and over rated. 09 xterra off road here and love it. Not great on gas averaging 17mpg but 270hp will do that. The beast goes everywhere! Doesn't come with all the foo foo amenities (maybe the newer ones do) but I bought mine specifically because I do take her on adventures and for the price she was perfect. Bought brand new and have 70k on her with zero issues. Just brakes, tires and a battery to date. Last of the real SUV's. I highly recommend a test drive while on your quest and good luck on your purchase.
View Quote

Have you heard of or have you had your vehicle modified to prevent this strawberry milkshake deal?

I've completely ruled out all 2005-2010 Xterras & Pathfinders for this alone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

xterra... Last of the real SUV's.
View Quote
Um, no. Just the last one using crappy leaf springs.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
If buying a year or two older vehicle, get the Nissan. If buying new, get the Toyota.  You will get more for your (used) money with the Nissan.  Toyota will hold it's value much better.  I think you will like the interior of the Toyota better over time.

I own a Nissan Frontier(Xterra truck basically) and a new Toyota Highlander(Wife's second highlander).  The highlander is perfect or her, and I love the fit and finish compared to my Nissan..
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If buying a year or two older vehicle, get the Nissan. If buying new, get the Toyota.  You will get more for your (used) money with the Nissan.  Toyota will hold it's value much better.  I think you will like the interior of the Toyota better over time.

I own a Nissan Frontier(Xterra truck basically) and a new Toyota Highlander(Wife's second highlander).  The highlander is perfect or her, and I love the fit and finish compared to my Nissan
View Quote

Really? I'm just the opposite. Before my Xterra I owned a Toyota Tacoma xtra cab and although it was thoroughly reliable if not underpowered, the interior was cheap and uncomfortable. By comparison, the Xterra had a well laid out dash and controls as well as a comfortable and durable seats that fully adjusted. Not just durable, but comfortable. That is comparing a '95 truck to a 2005 Xterra, but still.

A friend of ours has a new Highlander and they are indeed nicely built. Way overpriced, but built and designed well.

I'm not sure why Toyota prices some of their vehicles the way they do. I recently helped my elderly parents purchase a brand new, loaded Sienna mini-van and the negotiated price was significantly cheaper than we could do with Honda or Chrysler. I think the Toyota is head and shoulders a better vehicle then the others. I'm always surprised at their SUV and truck prices though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think for year to year comparisons, the Tacoma has a nicer looking/feeling interior.  But ultimately I couldn't justify the $5K price difference for the similar set up vehicle.

Around here Toyotas can be bought new for really good prices(under invoice out the door), which is usually lower than used 2 year old vehicles.

My wife bought her 2011 Highlander in 2011 new for under invoice out the door.  Then in 2013, she traded it in on a new one at 0% financing and kept her exact same payment and just extended the loan out two more years(for a 2 year newer vehicle so it was a no brainer).  Pricing on the used ones is ridiculous though!

Nissan makes solid vehicles and the Xterra is a GREAT choice for what you get.  I'd consider one new.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you heard of or have you had your vehicle modified to prevent this strawberry milkshake deal?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The milkshake deal is not just the nissans. The 4runners are having this problem as well.

I have an xterra and love it.  Mine is a 6 speed so I don't have to worry about the trans issue.
You pay extra for a Toyota for the name and reputation of quality that has slowly been going down hill over the years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The milkshake deal is not just the nissans. The 4runners are having this problem as well.

I have an xterra and love it.  Mine is a 6 speed so I don't have to worry about the trans issue.
You pay extra for a Toyota for the name and reputation of quality that has slowly been going down hill over the years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know about the strawberry milkshake!

I outgrew clutches in my early 30's and have driven auto ever since. It's just more comfortable to me. If I had the money for a sports car, it would be a different story. I don't even think my fiancee has ever driven a stick. Not going to train her on a daily driver either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard bad things about the cvt transmission in the new pathfinders I ended up going with the 2014 mazda cx-9 check them out
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#17]
From what research I did a couple years ago, the 2010+ Xterras have pretty much all the kinks worked out.  That said, unless you want the offroad capability, the Xterra is old, crude, cramped, and unrefined and will suck gas just about like a full-size truck.  Much of that criticism would apply to a previous generation pathfinder as well.  Xterras are cheap--both new and used.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not many, and they are 2002 and older.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing happened to my buddy's Tacoma.

$4700 to replace the tranny.

<10k out of warranty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy the 4runner and keep it forever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love 4 Runners for sure, but they aren't immune to problems either. My best buddy has a 2004 ( I think) 4 Runner and has had all sorts of problems once she turned over 150K. Oil leaks, exhaust issues, emission sensors and tranny problems. He bought it used, right before I bought my X and mentioned then that he bought the wrong truck. And that from a die hard Toyota man.

I'm still considering a used 4 Runner, but not at $10,000 more for same year/miles and that's about the price difference. If I could find a nice, recent year low miles  4 Runner around $20,000, I'd be all in. I'm not holding out too much hope though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I had an 06 xterra and loved everything but the gas milage. Power was great and I loved the interior and quality of components. I sold it with 60k miles and never had the radiator problem but I checked it every now and then. Nissan extended warranties for that specific problem so it gave me piece of mind.

Id get the xterra if you can tolerate 16-17 mpg city.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love 4 Runners for sure, but they aren't immune to problems either. My best buddy has a 2004 ( I think) 4 Runner and has had all sorts of problems once she turned over 150K. Oil leaks, exhaust issues, emission sensors and tranny problems. He bought it used, right before I bought my X and mentioned then that he bought the wrong truck. And that from a die hard Toyota man.

I'm still considering a used 4 Runner, but not at $10,000 more for same year/miles and that's about the price difference. If I could find a nice, recent year low miles  4 Runner around $20,000, I'd be all in. I'm not holding out too much hope though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant buy it new, make regular preventative maintenance your religion, and keep it forever.  I buy new because there is no way to really know how well the previous owner has maintained it and I plan on keeping mine forever.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Earlier this year I was looking real hard at a new Pathfinder for the wife.  I found numerous reports of bad CVTs when I started researching them.  I don't know if these problems have been corrected.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Earlier this year I was looking real hard at a new Pathfinder for the wife.  I found numerous reports of bad CVTs when I started researching them.  I don't know if these problems have been corrected.
View Quote
We also looked at the Pathfinder and, like you, I saw an awful lot of CVT issues as well.  I looked at some more recent reviews just a day or so ago (June, July, August post dates) and the '14s still seem to have a lot of issues.  Kind of a shame because it was actually really nice to drive.

After initially thinking the 4Runner may not be right for us and leaning toward a Durango, we're now back to the 4Runner.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top