Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
I have already paid the price and told my local guy to do it , just wondering how much of a pain it would have been to have done it myself?

He charged me $199 for the parts and when I look online most of the outfits are $150 to $175 so that is ok .

Most of the online auto part joints suggest some kind of special tool (bearing lock something?)

I got hit for about $200 labor  ( two hours?)which includes finding out what was making the grinding noise.

By the time I got hit for Hazmat (two shop rags?) and sales tax (fuck CT) it wound up being $467 Ouch!

Could a rusty shade tree mechanic like myself have handled that without getting in trouble ?    Oh yeah- Ct uses some crappy liquid salt solution that rusts the living crap out of everything and makes working on anything a real pain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have already paid the price and told my local guy to do it , just wondering how much of a pain it would have been to have done it myself?

He charged me $199 for the parts and when I look online most of the outfits are $150 to $175 so that is ok .

Most of the online auto part joints suggest some kind of special tool (bearing lock something?)

I got hit for about $200 labor  ( two hours?)which includes finding out what was making the grinding noise.

By the time I got hit for Hazmat (two shop rags?) and sales tax (fuck CT) it wound up being $467 Ouch!

Could a rusty shade tree mechanic like myself have handled that without getting in trouble ?    Oh yeah- Ct uses some crappy liquid salt solution that rusts the living crap out of everything and makes working on anything a real pain.
View Quote

You could have done it yourself sure. Figure the tools if you didn't have them would be one hundred.

To put it in perspective I had all the right tools (bought for the job) and ended up trying to do something similar. My truck was not even rusty and I tried to pull the spindle to get to the spindle bearings for 4-5 hours. I gave up and put it back together since I was just doing mileage r&r.

My time and level of frustration would have been cheaper to have a shop do it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't done a chevy truck, I can't speak to the difficulty but if its as much as a pain as some of the ones I've done, fair price. Especially cars where they need to be pressed in on the car. Definitely one of those things that with the right tools it will go a million times easier, 2 hours of his labor, might be 4 or 5 of yours.

Sure you would have saved $300, but the amount of cussing and time being pissed off would have increased dramatically. Plus if it goes bad again or causes any sort of problems you have someone to blame...
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
pretty much what I was thinking when I told the guy to do it .

This vehicle is 11 years old but only has 80K on it . My main commuter is a 2001 Toyota Echo that has been good but it has 150+K on it and it makes me nervous to not have the truck for backup .
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Unit bearings. Pull wheel, caliper, rotor. 36mm?  Nut on axel shaft. 3 bolts on back side of bearing, air chisel with blunt chisel to vibrate the rusty bearing out of the taper. Disconnect the abs sensor.

Little cleaning, some never cease and reverse the process. After you do it a couple times it's a half hour job. First time I'd say 2 hours tops.

You didn't get ripped, that about the going rate, but it's not a tough job with the right tools.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I consider myself to be a seasoned & good shadetree.  Recently, I replaced the same bearing on my 2000 Tahoe & I live in the rust belt, too.  

SOB of a job due to the rust.  

One of the three hub bolts would not come out, and I'm running an IR2135 impact.  Hammered on it so much I started rounding the 15mm bolt head.  Pounded on a 14mm socket to get a good bite.  Heated the joint (no torch, just MAPP), hammered some more.  Cracked the 14mm socket (yes, it was an impact socket).  Replaced with another one.  After two hours & several beers, finally got it out & finished the job.

I won in the end, but it wasn't easy....
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
is it the whole hub? on my 99 it was sealed. took about 30m from start to finish for both sides.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If everything goes well it's an easy job, even for a beginner.  

I hope you saved the old one with the speed sensor intact.  If you need to replace a speed sensor (and you will if you keep the truck long enough).  A new sensor alone can cost as much as a new hub (which comes with a sensor, if that makes any sense).
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I replaced two hubs and a cv shaft in my driveway on a Chevy by the time I was 18...by myself.
I'm not the world's best by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are pretty mechanically inclined, you can do it.
It's more a matter of having the right tools and a few tips/hints/instructions to get past a few obstacles, and then it's usually pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#9]
It's retarded easy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I can do those in my sleep!

The axle nut is usually the hardest part to loosen without air tools.

Always use the speed sensor that comes with the new bearing or the ABS will probably act up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all , I bit the bullet and paid my local guy to do it
If there is a next time I might consider doing it myself.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No worries!
That's not a bad thing if it's your DD and you felt unsure about it.
Next time, though, you can do it!

I'm getting ready to replace everything from the spindles out on a 1978 Dana 44 front end. Woohoo...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No worries!

I'm getting ready to replace everything from the spindles out on a 1978 Dana 44 front end. Woohoo...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries!

That is getting a scoop of ice cream easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries!

Who said it was hard?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I replaced my first wheel bearing last year- I did it to avoid the $500 a dealer will charge to do it.

I found Timkin wheel bearings on Amazon for cheaper than an OEM bearing on Amazon (who was alot cheaper than the dealer)

Biggest problem was the galvanic corrosion with a aluminum knuckle and a steel bearing- that stuff is bonded with voodoo black magic. Nothing a 10lb sledgehammer and 4' pry bar can't coax free!  

Only way I'd pay to have a bearing done is if it's in the middle of winter- it's an easy job if you have a big hammer and pry bar.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top