Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2014 11:02:07 PM EDT
Need my steering box rebuilt for my 69 mustang. there are a few companies that ive found online, but would like to keep it somewhat local. Im looking for someone around the dallas area if anyone know anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#1]
there really aren't any well known local ones for this.
you have to pretty much ship it if you want a good job done.
firm feel is the main one of course.

however for a mustang, I can't believe there isn't a new one out there from one of the resto companies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#2]
As above, I think you have to ship it off to get it done. If you're not insistent on staying stock and have your wallet stuffed, TCP has rack and pinion stuff and pumps for the 69. I'd hot link, but that locks up the browser on my phone.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Benchworx steering in Scottsdale AZ is absolutely awesome.

They have rebuilt several steering boxes for my projects in the past, and I've always been 100% satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Need my steering box rebuilt for my 69 mustang. there are a few companies that ive found online, but would like to keep it somewhat local. Im looking for someone around the dallas area if anyone know anything.
View Quote

Have you considered a new one
Flaming River steering box
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
about 5 or 6 years ago we used these guys http://www.steeringreman.net/ . They did a nice job for us.

call them up and talk to them.

I don't know where you are in Texas but they came down from Fort Worth to Cleburne to deliver.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
M35: I'll have to give them a call. I don't want to buy s new one because this winter or fall I plan on putting in a rack and pinion so I don't want to sink a bunch of money into parts just to get rid of them. But I need to do something to tune up the steering because it's pretty bad right now, especially on the highway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M35: I'll have to give them a call. I don't want to buy s new one because this winter or fall I plan on putting in a rack and pinion so I don't want to sink a bunch of money into parts just to get rid of them. But I need to do something to tune up the steering because it's pretty bad right now, especially on the highway.
View Quote

Power or manual steering? What is it doing that makes you feel the box is bad?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
its got power steering. what led me to this conclusion is that the steering wheel has about 2" of play in it  and that the car drifts all over the road, more so at higher speeds
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
its got power steering. what led me to this conclusion is that the steering wheel has about 2" of play in it  and that the car drifts all over the road, more so at higher speeds
View Quote

OK!
The box itself is in all probability just fine
You have a bad Power Steering Control Valve and probably a  bad Idler Arm as well.
The ball and socket of the PSCV wear out and put an incredible amount of play into the system. These can be replaced by themselves but requires the dismantling of the PSCV assembly.
A PIA operation but can be done, Most people just get a new control valve.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
while it is on the ground have someone turn the wheel and watch the pitman and idler.
if they give it probably isn't the box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Pitman arm on a Mustang cannot go bad, well unless you crash the car
The part that goes bad looks like this
PSCV
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#12]
i bought the idler arm a while back and going to do the suspension and steering this coming weekend. ill look into the steering control valve. thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i bought the idler arm a while back and going to do the suspension and steering this coming weekend. ill look into the steering control valve. thanks for the help
View Quote

Its been a while since I was under a 69 Mustang. Mustangs have basically 3 types of idler arms.
One has the bracket that bolts to the frame and on the other end a ball joint that attaches to the center link.
One has the bracket to frame and at the other end a bushing that the center link bolt passes through.
The other type has the bracket to the frame and on the other end, a long bolt that passes through the bushing in the end of the center link. If you have this type you will also need to replace the bushing in the end of the center link as well
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
sorry for the delay. Had my dad come down for the weekend and got a lot of work done. new ball joints, lower control arms, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, sway bar end links, and leaf springs. thing handles like a dream now so glad i didnt spend the extra money on a steering box rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
good deal

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top