Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2014 11:29:41 AM EDT
Back in my 20's I had an older Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke that I used to play around on.....then I ended up getting rid of it, and getting into sport quads.  Now I'm in my 30's, and the idea of having a dirt bike again is starting to sound pretty fun. I still have my quads (YFZ450, Z400), but I want something that's a little more exciting.....and easier to go fast on.  I've been looking around at the used market, and there a bunch of decent bikes out there for around $1500 +/-....and that's about what I want to spend.  

I'm trying to decided what size bike I should try to track down and buy.....a 125 or 250 2-stroke, or maybe a 250 or 450 4-stroke. I've never been on a 4-stroke bike, only  2 strokes.  I've been on some 2-stroke quads (Banshee), and I really didn't like how weak they were down low....but they had an explosive amount of power once you got the revs up.....my old YZ250 seemed much easier to ride than the Banshee as far as power delivery.

I'm 6'5", and 200lbs.......for a woods trail bike, and something I can just play around with out in the country.....what type of bike should I be looking at?  I've heard that the full on MotoX bikes aren't that great for slow trail riding.  

What bikes would you guys suggest?  Something in the 99'-04' range is what I've seen mostly in my price range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would stay away from the MX bikes (RM,YZ,CR,KX etc). If you can find a clean KDX 220 or 200 they are pretty damn good trail/woods bikes that can be had pretty cheap and are bulletproof another option would be a WR250f or DR350 if you want a 4 stroke. If you can increase your budget a bit I would strongly suggest looking into the euro bikes (KTM, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Beta, Gas Gas)
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above comments for the KDX 200/220.  I had one.  Great bike and very affordable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess it depends on what you want.  Personally it's two stokes for me.  Lighter, simpler, cheaper.  Any 250 or larger one will work.  MX bikes are just fine, gear it deeper if you want to go slower.

The ktms and clones have the best weapons, but whatever.  It's like arguing over which sport bike is best.  They all get it done.

As for the four stokes, they have power all over but lack the fun factor of getting into the power like a two stoke.  I bought a ktm 300 earlier this year and the torque is plenty for us 200lb people.  You can lug it down to nothing.  Then again I did just buy a KTM 500 four stoke, so what's my opinion worth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Back in my 20's I had an older Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke that I used to play around on.....then I ended up getting rid of it, and getting into sport quads.  Now I'm in my 30's, and the idea of having a dirt bike again is starting to sound pretty fun. I still have my quads (YFZ450, Z400), but I want something that's a little more exciting.....and easier to go fast on.  I've been looking around at the used market, and there a bunch of decent bikes out there for around $1500 +/-....and that's about what I want to spend.  

I'm trying to decided what size bike I should try to track down and buy.....a 125 or 250 2-stroke, or maybe a 250 or 450 4-stroke. I've never been on a 4-stroke bike, only  2 strokes.  I've been on some 2-stroke quads (Banshee), and I really didn't like how weak they were down low....but they had an explosive amount of power once you got the revs up.....my old YZ250 seemed much easier to ride than the Banshee as far as power delivery.

I'm 6'5", and 200lbs.......for a woods trail bike, and something I can just play around with out in the country.....what type of bike should I be looking at?  I've heard that the full on MotoX bikes aren't that great for slow trail riding.  

What bikes would you guys suggest?  Something in the 99'-04' range is what I've seen mostly in my price range.
View Quote

Banshee's were made for top end power delivery.
There's a reason why there are hardly any RZ350 engines (or motorcycles) left - that's because the RZ350 had power valves and the Banshee's didn't.

Unless you know the person you're buying from you're almost certain to have to dump as much money as you pay for it if not more into it to get it going.

A two stroke will be $$ cheaper even if you have to split the cases and replace the seals and true the crank.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
KTM 250 XC-F
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up this 1985 Honda XR350R a couple years ago for $500.00. Cleaned carb and gas tank, new chain and sprockets, oil change, fork seals, GTG.
I'm going to have to put tires on it this year but it's been a lot of fun and pulls my 270 pounds like a boss.  I can out accelerate my buddy's KLR650 up to about 40MPH, then he walks around me, but it pulls like a tractor.

These 1985 350's are kinda rare and parts are getting hard to find so maybe the modern version, XR400, may be what you seek.

My other buddy had a more modern XR400. After riding mine he said it pulled just as hard as his 400.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for XR400 or 250. I actually even prefer the 200 for going really slow and tight since it is shorter and lighter, but it has drum brakes and poor suspension, so I wouldn't use for much dirt road/street.

My $800 xr400

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
How do the XR400's motors compared to something like a yz250 2-stroke as far as power wise?  The only bike I've ever ridden was a yz250......and it sure was fun to have enough power to lift the front end off the ground any time you needed to.  It was also pretty light which helped.....I've never ridden a 4-stroke bike, only 4-stroke quads.....and some of the 450 4-stoke quads are pretty impressive on power also. I just don't want to buy a bike and then wish fore more power a few months down the road.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I was always partial to Honda. I bought a '91 XR250L Dual Sport and drove it everywhere. That was a long time ago though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do the XR400's motors compared to something like a yz250 2-stroke as far as power wise?  The only bike I've ever ridden was a yz250......and it sure was fun to have enough power to lift the front end off the ground any time you needed to.  It was also pretty light which helped.....I've never ridden a 4-stroke bike, only 4-stroke quads.....and some of the 450 4-stoke quads are pretty impressive on power also. I just don't want to buy a bike and then wish fore more power a few months down the road.
View Quote

Your yz had more top end power then an xr 400. In stock condition the xr400 leaves a lot to be desired power wise, if you open them up a bit they get better but they are never really great. Look into KTMs, they have the most options 200, 250, 300, 380 2-strokes built for the woods and tons of 4 strokes from 250s up to 625.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm 55, and still ride a RM250 2-stroke. I have a KDX, but hardly ever ride it, except for night rides. You can put a slightly heavier flywheel weight on a 2-stroke to make it less pipey, and have a little more bottom end power. You can also adjust the tension on the exhaust valve to make it less snappy. I've ridden quite a few 4-strokes, but they feel top heavy to me, and not near as nimble. I would also add, check out the cost of rebuilding between the two.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have ridden quite a few dirt bikes in my time and for RAW horsepower, nothing compares to a 2-stroke. I have found the 2-strokes make all that power in a very narrow RPM range (power band). This is great for racing or running flat out, but tooling along on the trails with some bottom end grunt is 4-stroke territory.
My 350 will yank the front tire up easily as will my buddies 400.
I read somewhere, maybe Thumper Talk forum, my 350 has 31 HP.  4-strokes have come a long ways. They aren't your Grandpa's XL anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I found a pretty nice 05' Kawasaki KLX 300 for sale for $1300 on my local Craigslist.  Would that bike make a nice trail bike?  What about maintenance on them vs a 2-stroke?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I found a pretty nice 05' Kawasaki KLX 300 for sale for $1300 on my local Craigslist.  Would that bike make a nice trail bike?  What about maintenance on them vs a 2-stroke?  

Thanks!
View Quote

It shouldn't be too bad, if the engine is in good shape. Those are pretty mild engines, not nearly as radical as a motocross bike. Good for going from point A to point B. I would much rather ride a KDX though. They have plenty of bottom end.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an XR400 and an XR650R.
The 400 would be perfect for you. With simple to handle mods like the air box it will be as fun or more fun than your YZ250

If you want more add a flat slide pumper carb.

Here's the 650

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top