BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Update

Got the motor back from the machine shop and started bolting it together and installing goodies on it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Got  some work done today.
Removed the inner duel valve springs for the cam break-in, painted the motor, installed the distributor, water pump,oil filter housing, and misc parts.
Should finish up and drop it in the truck tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well did not get it in,but got more stuff bolted on and now it"s ready to go in.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget what I said about new motor mounts...........seriously, don't forget.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget what I said about new motor mounts...........seriously, don't forget.
View Quote

I bought them when I knew the motor was comming out, also got a new transmission mount.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depending on how deep your pockets are, you can't go wrong with a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and matching intake.  A nice plus to this is you lose about 90 pounds of weight.  

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/jkw3637/1109cct-20-o-360-ford-engine-rebuildfe-motor.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude said he pulled the heads and intake off this block to put on his race car, He reworked a set of D2TEAA heads and a port matched intake for this (his shop truck.)
Might be looking for an upgrade to these in the future.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, you can't go wrong with a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and matching intake.  A nice plus to this is you lose about 90 pounds of weight.  

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab326/jkw3637/1109cct-20-o-360-ford-engine-rebuildfe-motor.jpg

I would go dart heads personally

Edit nevermind didn't read the thread motor sounds like it will be a strong runner
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks y'all .

If all goes well I should have it in the truck before the end of the weekend.
It is moving kinda slow because I'm not as young and tough as I used to be , plus I have a 60 hour work week at my job .
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This truck is going to have so much more power than either the tires or the chassis has a chance of coping with...

It's gonna be awesome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#12]
On the engine hoist.

Its in the hole.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a little more done today.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The "FT" engines (330HD, 361, 391) had heavier crankshafts, different heads and intake, and as pointed out before the distributor had a 3/8" oil pump drive shaft and the FE used 5/16" (pilot hole in the block is larger to accommodate the FT distributor) the FT really isn't a good choice at any level to put into a car or light truck.
While I haven't even thought about it in thirty years; IIRC there was a 330 used in full sized cars in fact there was a 330, 330MD, and a 330HD.
Also on a side note Ford made a "359" or maybe it was "389" special engine for U-Haul.
Back in the 80's I worked the Parts Dept. for several Ford Dealers: sold a LOT of these engines over the years the Ford FAR (authorized rebuilder) was Fred Jones based out of OK. The rep used to have a set or heavy wire gauges that he's insert into the cylinder from the crank to gauge the bore, sadly I can't remember how they measured the stroke.
If you can tell the difference: the 428 was externally balanced, where all the others were internally balanced.
Here's a web site with a break down of bores & strokes: http://fordclassics.com/fe-engines
There's a really good amount of interchangeability between these engines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to post a reminder too....replace the trans mount too if you know what good for you! Radiators are expensive!
Make sure the engine supports bolts are tight!
That power plant should turn some serious power.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was going to post a reminder too....replace the trans mount too if you know what good for you! Radiators are expensive!
Make sure the engine supports bolts are tight!
That power plant should turn some serious power.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a few more hours of work done, may not look like a lot but all the fitting of aftermarket stuff eats up time.

Trans cooler lines fitted to the radiator, radiator installed, high torque starter, fuel lines ran, and a lot the time consuming stuff done.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks great !
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Got it running and broke in the cam.
It sounds like a monster.

Now comes the tedious chore of setting up the carb and all the fine tuning.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got it running and broke in the cam.
It sounds like a monster.

Now comes the tedious chore of setting up the carb and all the fine tuning.

View Quote

A wideband o2 gauge turns the guesswork of carb tuning into an exact science
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I got it running and brought it home.
Got the jetting close.
I was chasing tuning problems for a bit, so I got out me propane torch and put a hose on it and went around the carb, spacer, vacuum lines and could not find it.
So I pulled the PCV valve out of the  Valve coves and shoved the propane in and the engine idled up.
 I then knew it had a internal vacuum leak.  Turned out the intake manifold gasket on the passenger side had a vacuum leak.
Re-torqued the intake and all is good.

Still gotta make my new plug wires and bolt on a few more goodies.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top