Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 6:15:01 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a used Ford Ranger, probably a 2003 or 2004.  Are these reliable?  Can I get +200k out of one?

Thanks,
Dan
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Great little trucks, I have a 2003 step-side extended cab with the flex fuel 3.0. Currently it has a whopping 40k on the clock. I bought it two years ago from a older gentlemen for a song and dance and it had 27k on the clock. They are great trucks and can easily do 200k +. There are a few issues, the manuals like to go through slave cylinders and the 3.0's have some unique issues but for the most part very reliable. As long as mine don't rust out I plan to drive the crap out of it for the next 7 to 10 years. About the only down side is fuel mileage or the lack of. They get about the same mileage as a full size truck and the turning radius on them sucks. For a small truck they don't park well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 97 that I bought 12 years ago with 43k.
Currently has 170k and I only recently replaced the alternator and catalytic converter.
Still on the same clutch (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an 06 4.0  4x4 no issues in 149K.  Basic maintenance so far.  Still runs great.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Only issue I ever had with my 3.0 V6 Ranger seemed to be a one off deal. The tensioner broke. A random piece of metal sheared off and it would no longer hold tension.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]

my daily driver is a 2008 2.3L Ranger.  

120K with no issues.  

Rangers have had very little changes in the way of design from year to year.  

I would suggest going for a 4.10 rear (you can quickly find out by looking at the sticker inside of the door)

84 — 3.45 non-limited slip (Ranger)
86 — 3.73 non-limited slip (Ranger)
87 — 4.10 non-limited slip (Ranger)
89 — 4.56 non-limited slip (Ranger)
F6 — 3.73 limited slip (Ranger)
F7 — 4.10 limited slip (Ranger)
92 — 3.08 non-limited slip (Ranger)
R5 — 3.55 limited slip (Ranger)
91 — 3.27 non-limited slip (Ranger)
96 — 3.73 non-limited slip (Ranger)
R6 — 3.73 limited slip (Ranger)"
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an 03 FX4 Level II.  You should get one.  They're awesome.

ETA:  Mine's a 5 speed, I don't know or care about the automatics.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Avoid the 3.0.
The 4.0 with the automatic and 4x4 is a nice ride.

The 4-banger and a manual is a good work truck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Avoid the 3.0.

View Quote
Nothing wrong with the 3.0, other than its underpowered compared to the 4.0 and gets the same crap mileage.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have an 03 FX4 Level II.  You should get one.  They're awesome.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/strikerap/IMG_20130125_073404.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/strikerap/IMG_20121013_145722.jpg

ETA:  Mine's a 5 speed, I don't know or care about the automatics.
View Quote
I love the Level II's, hell of a little truck. My boss's son has one with a factory full length console, two rarities in the same damn truck. I keep trying to get him to trade interiors, he wont bite though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Other than 5.7 Hemi like gas mileage, they're great trucks.  Mine both averaged 15ish MPG...which is what I get in my current truck (Ram 1500).  I'll say that you'd be best off looking for a 4x4 with the 4.0L engine and a 5sp manual trans.  They're great trucks.  The interiors are a little cheap but mechanically they're great.  I beat the piss out of a 94 Mazda B4000 (rebadged Ranger) and then an 06 Ranger, both 4.0's with 4x4 and manual trans.  Lots of off road and mud.  Never had any issues other than the auto hubs going out on the 94.  Replaced them with Warn turn in hubs and I was good to go.  The 4.0 is a solid motor.  Oil changes and air filters and it will run 200k+ no problems.

I got the 94 (back in 00 or so) with 97k on the clock for $3200 and got $3500 on trade in.  It had 213k miles on it when I let that one go.  Then bought the 06 as a beater/commuter with 105k miles on it for $6500.  Drove it for a year and a half before we bought a quad and wanted a little more hauling capacity for moving it around.  Put about 21k on it and sold it for $6800.  

They're getting harder to find these days so you may have to travel a bit.  Keep an eye on CL and be ready to jump on one when you find a good deal.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine is 10 years old with just shy of 90K miles- I stay up on the regular maintenance and do my best to take care of her.
I have had to replace the brakes, a new set of tires, and had my PCM go out about a month ago (I spent about $1700 getting it repaired). I had an issue with a leaking rear window due to my seat putting pressure on it, I am a tall guy so I keep my seat all the way to the rear.
I am ready for a new vehicle, but my Ranger has treated me well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Other than 5.7 Hemi like gas mileage, they're great trucks.  Mine both averaged 15ish MPG...which is what I get in my current truck (Ram 1500).  I'll say that you'd be best off looking for a 4x4 with the 4.0L engine and a 5sp manual trans.  They're great trucks.  The interiors are a little cheap but mechanically they're great.  I beat the piss out of a 94 Mazda B4000 (rebadged Ranger) and then an 06 Ranger, both 4.0's with 4x4 and manual trans.  Lots of off road and mud.  Never had any issues other than the auto hubs going out on the 94.  Replaced them with Warn turn in hubs and I was good to go.  The 4.0 is a solid motor.  Oil changes and air filters and it will run 200k+ no problems.

I got the 94 (back in 00 or so) with 97k on the clock for $3200 and got $3500 on trade in.  It had 213k miles on it when I let that one go.  Then bought the 06 as a beater/commuter with 105k miles on it for $6500.  Drove it for a year and a half before we bought a quad and wanted a little more hauling capacity for moving it around.  Put about 21k on it and sold it for $6800.  

They're getting harder to find these days so you may have to travel a bit.  Keep an eye on CL and be ready to jump on one when you find a good deal.

CMS
View Quote

Mine I posted above just rolled over 100k yesterday.

I got 18.79mpg on my last tank of gas, which is pretty much normal.  That's with the 4.0, 5-speed, and 4.10 gears on 31" tires.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#13]
i have an 00 explorer (which is the same thing except for the body) with 219k and still going.  take care of your shit and it will last.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Avoid the 3.0.

View Quote

What makes you say that?  The 3.0 was Ford's bread and butter in the V-6 category for a long time.  The engine proved to be so reliable that very little changed on the engine during that time.  The 3.0 is a very tough engine.  Sure, they're under powered, and have pinging and cam synchro issues, but other than that there is no reason to avoid them.

OP, I have a 2000 Mazda B-3000.  It's a rebadged Ford Ranger 3.0.  I have about 260K on the odometer right now and it's still going strong.  The only thing I've ever done to it is tune ups, oil changes, and a water pump (just recently).  I'll never get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What makes you say that?  The 3.0 was Ford's bread and butter in the V-6 category for a long time.  The engine proved to be so reliable that very little changed on the engine during that time.  The 3.0 is a very tough engine.  Sure, they're under powered, and have pinging and cam synchro issues, but other than that there is no reason to avoid them.

OP, I have a 2000 Mazda B-3000.  It's a rebadged Ford Ranger 3.0.  I have about 260K on the odometer right now and it's still going strong.  The only thing I've ever done to it is tune ups, oil changes, and a water pump (just recently).  I'll never get rid of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid the 3.0.

He probably shares the same sentiment I do.  Before 2001, even the 4.0L only made 160 HP.  After they changed to a SOHC for the same engine and the HP was bumped to 207hp.  The 3.0L at it's best (03-04) only made 154hp.  The truck is a bit of a dog with anything but an 01+ 4.0L V6.  It's not an issue until you haul/tow something.  Then you're wishing for way more power.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
my 01 XLT, 4.0 V6 is still plugging away and I'm an asshole to it...

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with the 3.0, other than its underpowered compared to the 4.0 and gets the same crap mileage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid the 3.0.

My 98 B3000 4x4 5spd got 23mpg highway, which was pretty decent.  Ran fine at 181k when I sold it.  The 3.0 lasts forever unless the cam sync grenades.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He probably shares the same sentiment I do.  Before 2001, even the 4.0L only made 160 HP.  After they changed to a SOHC for the same engine and the HP was bumped to 207hp.  The 3.0L at it's best (03-04) only made 154hp.  The truck is a bit of a dog with anything but an 01+ 4.0L V6.  It's not an issue until you haul/tow something.  Then you're wishing for way more power.
View Quote

I don't disagree.  The 3.0 is under powered.  But I personally wouldn't avoid a Ranger simply because it has the 3.0.  I do wish there were easier ways to increase the power in the 3.0...short of swapping in a 4.0
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a 2001 4.0, Limited slip rear end went out at 230k, Trans at 310k. Crashed it with 346k on it and it still ran great getting 20mpg... Loved it
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Avoid the 3.0.
View Quote

I have owned 4 Rangers.
The first was an '85 fuel injected 4 banger with a 5 speed manual transmission.
I owned it until it spun a bearing.

Traded it in on a '93 Ranger 3.0 5 speed manual.
Found out it was just as fast as my '85 and it used almost a third more fuel.
Sold that.

A few years later I bought a used 94 Ranger 4 banger with a 5 speed manual.
Kept that until I traded it in on a 98 Nissan Frontier 4 banger with a 5 speed manual.

Traded the Frontier in on an '11 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 and the 5 speed automatic transmission.
It's a 4x4 Supercab XLT with 3.73 limited slip rear axle.
I didn't like the trim package on the Sport.

I still have it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there were a few years they were made with a 2.5L, stick with the 2.3 if you're getting a 4 cyl.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a 89 Ranger, couldn't kill it. Traded it in in 97 and it had 170k on it. Should of bought another one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a 98 ranger 3.0 5 speed 4x4 regular cab short bed. It had 32 in AT tires though. I think this killed the mileage and made it very slow overall.  I got 16mpg. Sixteen!!! It also was very bouncy with nothing in the bed. I hit a patch in the pavement on an off ramp. The truck started to skid and I rolled it at 25 mph.

I couldn't climb a hill on the interstate in 5th and had to downshift to 3rd. The oil pump drive shaft sheared off one day getting on the freeway and locked up the motor. It had a loose connection somewhere in the dash and the gauges would stop working for a second or two. This is what I thought had happened. Then Engine locked up before I figured it out. I assumed the gauge was lying to me. It was not.

Slow, thirsty, and you can't haul much. Buy a full size truck.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The only thing I can add at this point is you are looking at 10-11 year old vehicles, which will have 10-11 year old American vehicle issues.
But, it sounds like nothing major as long as the vehicle you find has been maintained properly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I had an '02 Mazda B3000 DS (same truck as the Ranger) with the 3.0L 5-speed, and had north of 80k miles on it when I traded to a kid for a Jeep TJ back in 2011.  Paid right at $13k for it new in '02, and the only thing I ever did to the truck was change the battery and put in a new driver's side window motor.

Like its been mentioned, avoid the 3.0L motor unless you plan on never pulling a trailer.  Mine was absolutely gutless with anything hooked to the hitch, even with 4.10 rearend gears.  I'm not kidding, the truck even had a hard time pulling a 5x12' single axle trailer empty.  Any hills on the road, and you could plan on downshifting to keep the truck at 65 mph.  Don't get me wrong, the truck did OK on level ground with 2-3k pound loads, but hills (not too many steep ones in middle Georgia) gave it hell.  I'd ocasionally use it to pull a 16.5' Stratos bass boat, and it struggled to get the boat out of the water.  

Gas mileage was decent, averaged around 21 mpg.  Best I ever got was close to 23, but it was usually around 21 (and I drive like an old woman).  If you do get an extended cab truck, get one with the swing out door(s).  Otherwise, its a pain to get stuff in and out of the rear cab.  

I really liked everything about the truck except towing.  No joke, my '91 Mazda B2600i with a 2.6L 4-cylinder handled hills and boat ramps just as easily as the 3.0 V6, and it has almost half the rated HP.  It just always felt like 1st gear wasn't "low" enough to get things moving, really felt like 2nd gear with any load.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only thing I can add at this point is you are looking at 10-11 year old vehicles, which will have 10-11 year old American vehicle issues.
But, it sounds like nothing major as long as the vehicle you find has been maintained properly.
View Quote

Ford sold the Ranger in the US until 2012.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I had an '02 Mazda B3000 DS (same truck as the Ranger) with the 3.0L 5-speed, and had north of 80k miles on it when I traded to a kid for a Jeep TJ back in 2011.  Paid right at $13k for it new in '02, and the only thing I ever did to the truck was change the battery and put in a new driver's side window motor.

Like its been mentioned, avoid the 3.0L motor unless you plan on never pulling a trailer.  Mine was absolutely gutless with anything hooked to the hitch, even with 4.10 rearend gears.  I'm not kidding, the truck even had a hard time pulling a 5x12' single axle trailer empty.  Any hills on the road, and you could plan on downshifting to keep the truck at 65 mph.  Don't get me wrong, the truck did OK on level ground with 2-3k pound loads, but hills (not too many steep ones in middle Georgia) gave it hell.  I'd ocasionally use it to pull a 16.5' Stratos bass boat, and it struggled to get the boat out of the water.  

Gas mileage was decent, averaged around 21 mpg.  Best I ever got was close to 23, but it was usually around 21 (and I drive like an old woman).  If you do get an extended cab truck, get one with the swing out door(s).  Otherwise, its a pain to get stuff in and out of the rear cab.  

I really liked everything about the truck except towing.  No joke, my '91 Mazda B2600i with a 2.6L 4-cylinder handled hills and boat ramps just as easily as the 3.0 V6, and it has almost half the rated HP.  It just always felt like 1st gear wasn't "low" enough to get things moving, really felt like 2nd gear with any load.
View Quote
I have a 3.0 Auto 2wd. I pulled the large U-Haul trailer all over Iowa one Saturday and didn't experience these issues. I am not saying its a speed demon but I had no problems running 55 to 60 pulling the trailer loaded on the highway, no issue with hills either. I did turn off the O/D but thats just plain common sense when pulling a trailer behind any truck that doesn't have a external tranny cooler. I am looking at moving in a few months to another state. I plan to load up another U-Haul trailer as well as the back of the truck and head out without hesitation. Mine has the 3.86? limited slip rear end.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Check your throttle cable... they stretch like hell and the throttle blade won't open fully.  A few zip ties around the end of the cable will correct the pedal height and guarantee WOT when you need it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ford sold the Ranger in the US until 2011.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Technically yes. They sold 2012 fleet Rangers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Fine. The last Ranger rolled off the assembly line in December 16th, 2011.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I got a '10 regular cab, 4 cyl, manual for my son that gets 27 mpg.

I figured he could make a little cash moving stuff for people while he goes to college.

No rugs and vinyl seats. But I put in a Sony Bluetooth stereo!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#34]

I think the Ranger could make a comeback if they tossed in a small turbo diesel like Dodge is doing with the Ram 1500.  Problem with full size trucks is when you price one out, even without all the high end options, you're still looking at $40k+ these days.  If a 4 door turbo diesel Ranger hit the market I'd jump on it in a heartbeat for my next truck purchase.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think the Ranger could make a comeback if they tossed in a small turbo diesel like Dodge is doing with the Ram 1500.  Problem with full size trucks is when you price one out, even without all the high end options, you're still looking at $40k+ these days.  If a 4 door turbo diesel Ranger hit the market I'd jump on it in a heartbeat for my next truck purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's why I bought my 2011 Ranger.
4x4, 4.0, auto, limited slip 4.73, air, cruise, tilt, less than $20K out the door, tax and license included.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Check your throttle cable... they stretch like hell and the throttle blade won't open fully.  A few zip ties around the end of the cable will correct the pedal height and guarantee WOT when you need it.
View Quote

This.

Did it on my '98 3.0 I had in high school/beginning of college. That was a really fun truck, and I miss it sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm considering buying a used Ford Ranger, probably a 2003 or 2004.  Are these reliable?  Can I get +200k out of one?

Thanks,
Dan
View Quote

I have a 2002 w/4.0L V6.  2WD and automatic.  I get around 19-20 mpg 'commuting' with some stop and roll, some go like hell to beat the traffic. I've actually seen ~22mpg on the interstate drive to the beach back when gas wasn't ethanoled to death.

Currently at 176K. It's now "semi retired" because I bought a new DD. It's been "semi retired" before when I bought the daughter a car and drove it while she was doing the learners permit / new driver bit.

Mostly on road back and forth to work with the occasional 'weekend project' bit. No towing. (No toys.) No "off roading" either other than the occasional trip through the parents pasture or some dirt back roads.

Not loaded with electronic crap so all I've really done is change fluids / tires and the battery once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top