Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 12:06:38 PM EDT
Just got Firestone Destination A/Ts put on my truck in March, now at about 8,000 miles my rear tires are nearly worn out with chunks missing from the tread. This is my fourth set of these tires on three separate vehicles and none of them ever wore this badly. I never had any brand of tire wear this badly, they usually look like this after two years. They said that the chunks are only cosmetic and consistent with driving on unimproved roads. I don't drive on unimproved roads and even if I did what kind of A/T gets chewed up on gravel? So they basically said I was SOL. I'm pissed that this is their response because I had liked their tires so much that I was on the verge of adding Firestone decals to my rear window since I'd been so happy with them. Especially since this set of tires were the least abused of any that I have ever owned. Talk about disappointment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got Firestone Destination A/Ts put on my truck in March, now at about 8,000 miles my rear tires are nearly worn out with chunks missing from the tread. This is my fourth set of these tires on three separate vehicles and none of them ever wore this badly. I never had any brand of tire wear this badly, they usually look like this after two years. They said that the chunks are only cosmetic and consistent with driving on unimproved roads. I don't drive on unimproved roads and even if I did what kind of A/T gets chewed up on gravel? So they basically said I was SOL. I'm pissed that this is their response because I had liked their tires so much that I was on the verge of adding Firestone decals to my rear window since I'd been so happy with them. Especially since this set of tires were the least abused of any that I have ever owned. Talk about disappointment.

View Quote

Not a tire expert but...stop doing what I put in bold...
We have a local tire/brake/align chain in the NW (Les Schwab)...they stand behind everything 100% eveytime. I may pay a little more but have had great service for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you take a picture of one of the tires and post it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
As compared to the front

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm so put OFF Firestone times from the way their stores treat their customers.

Heading rapidly down the KMart / Sears / Chrysler / GM slide to bankruptcy & death.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Firestone blamed Ford for tire failures, correct?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Have/has anyone closely inspected the springs, shocks, and alignment?
Out of the front I'd say, OK but the rear???
a broken spring, shackle, alignment, and bad shocks will cause problems.
Check the lot/DoT numbers for complaints; it could be a bad batch and if so there may be other complaints.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have/has anyone closely inspected the springs, shocks, and alignment?

Out of the front I'd say, OK but the rear???

a broken spring, shackle, alignment, and bad shocks will cause problems.

Check the lot/DoT numbers for complaints; it could be a bad batch and if so there may be other complaints.
View Quote

Funny this thread came up, I run the same tires and have had to warranty 3 of the 4 tires on my truck. The 3 newer ones have worn weird the original one has worn even and normal. It seemed odd to me but mine didn't have any chunking problems like above though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They both blamed each other. Firestone specified a certain PSI for their tires and Ford specified a lower PSI for the tires to their customers. A combination of lower than optimal tire pressure, overloaded vehicles and freeway speeds led to some blowouts
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Shit, that's nothing for chunking. What exact model/size did you get, P or LT, and what pressure are you running?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

More like the other way around. Ford specified a lower PSI than the tire manufacturer spec'd, for improved ride comfort, but when combined with high speed, high temps, and underinflation, results in tire failure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shit, that's nothing for chunking. What exact model/size did you get, P or LT, and what pressure are you running?
View Quote

Can't remember if it's 60 or 80 psi in the rear and they're 265/70R17 load class E. It had BFG Rugged Trail (?) On it when I got it and raped that set of tires because I knew I was going to replace them in before the next winter. I thrashed those tires for 8 months on purpose and they held up better than these tires that have been babied.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do now. Rotate and incinerate, then get a set of new tires or replace the two in the rear and hope for better results.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to get into my opinion that the Firestone Destination AT is the worst performing all terrain tire money can buy…but I did have a set of LT285/75-17's on a Megacab that lasted a solid 52,000 miles (though they performed worse than the Michelins the truck left the factory with) and also had a set of P255/65-17's on my Trailblazer that lasted a solid 48k miles.

What is the truck? Dodge HD if I had to guess of the tire and wheel size. It is eating through those tires. My Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my Trailblazer have more tread than both those pictures and they have 40,000 miles on them.

That being said, I don't have anything to do with Firestone anymore. I've had nothing but issues with Firestone's products and service.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
08' 2500 Dodge with the Cummins.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I drove on gravel and thought my Michellin tires were going to come apart. I've never had a tire that lost chunks, that was one damn time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I drove on gravel and thought my Michellin tires were going to come apart. I've never had a tire that lost chunks, that was one damn time.
View Quote

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's I had on my Cherokee were missing some pretty good chunks. Then again, you'd expect it out of a 8 year old tire (they have since been replaced with Duratrac's and haven't been chunking out at all).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top