Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT

Been wanting one of these for a long time!  Finally scored a great deal on one.  '07 with 10k miles. Fantastic shape.  

Already put 200 miles on it since I picked it up last night.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#1]
nice score.  I've always liked the first generation's looks MUCH better than the second generation's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay off the expressways. Did it with mine a few times and it just wasn't made for that. Otherwise it was a fun bike to knock around on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
mine handled great on interstate when I had Shinko 705 tires on it.  Then I tried Dunlop 606 knobbies and anything over 60 would result in a death wobble that was scary as fuck!  I went back to the Shinkos and it was all good again.

Be warned though... of all the bike's I've owned, the KLR was the biggest money pit because there are so many extras you can buy for it.  The options are endless...

Oh... and that thing would look sweet with a matte finish, OD green paint job...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I ride mine off road, side roads, forest roads, freeways, highways...does it all...just nothing exceptionally well.
50 mpg, I run Shinko 705's...grip well on pavement. Maybe something more aggressive if you plan to play off road much.

DO THE DOO HICKEY and check your valves...KLR650.net is a good source for info and how-to
PM me if you need specifics. Glad to help. I also have the Doo tools and can ship them to you, you ship back.

Nice clean looking bike...10K is low.

Pic Time!

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]

I went Orange.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mine handled great on interstate when I had Shinko 705 tires on it.  Then I tried Dunlop 606 knobbies and anything over 60 would result in a death wobble that was scary as fuck!  I went back to the Shinkos and it was all good again.

Be warned though... of all the bike's I've owned, the KLR was the biggest money pit because there are so many extras you can buy for it.  The options are endless...

Oh... and that thing would look sweet with a matte finish, OD green paint job...
View Quote

It currently has Kenda K270's on it.  I cruised at indicated 80mph all the way home.  Any faster and it got a little wobbly.  They don't corner that well.  I come from a sport bike background and I'm used to dragging my knee in corners... Not happening on this bike LOL
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have that same bike.
I will 2nd the recommendation for KLR650.net
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 2009 KLR last summer that had a new set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires on it.

I gotta say I am really impressed with them,good in the dirt,stick well on the pavement,and are wearing a lot better than I was expecting.  The bike also handles very nicely, I know waht I will be replacing them with when the time comes.

I have 4k miles on this set so far and they still have a lot of life left.

I like the KLR, I'm sure you will to!

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It currently has Kenda K270's on it.  I cruised at indicated 80mph all the way home.  Any faster and it got a little wobbly.  They don't corner that well.  I come from a sport bike background and I'm used to dragging my knee in corners... Not happening on this bike LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little time on her and you will be surprised what it is capable of in the corners. I just rode mine, which is the same year and color as yours to Panama. They are great bikes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget to mount your milk crate on the back!

A KLR is on my short list to get, although they go for stupid prices around here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top