Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:56:56 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a pretty nice (for the age) J80. It already has a nice, moderate lift on it and 31" BFG ATs that are in decent shape. 220K miles. It needs a front number and some minor TLC.

I think we've worked out a deal for me to buy the AR parts and build him a basic rifle with a rail and BUIS plus about $500 cash for his rig.

Sound like a decent deal?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like an excellent deal to me... DO IT!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you always make a habit of royally screwing your friends over like that?

If you can sleep at night after such a deed by all means do so post haste
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If the mechanics are good, go for it. Just know that they are VERY thirsty pigs when it comes to drinking gas.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you always make a habit of royally screwing your friends over like that?

If you can sleep at night after such a deed by all means do so post haste
View Quote

lol

He was going to spend $1,200+ on a S&W AR. I told him that I could build him one cheaper and he got pumped about it.

He does some tree work so we talked briefly about him cutting some limbs for me but that idea fizzled... About a week later he asked about trading a gun+cash for his Cruiser.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the mechanics are good, go for it. Just know that they are VERY thirsty pigs when it comes to drinking gas.
View Quote

I've got a '90 Toyota pickup with a 4 banger for gas savings.

I need something a little larger for other occasions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
It's got a minimum of 80k miles left is the good news.

Here is the bad news:
No factory lockers, torquey but weak hp engine. 12-14mph whether you're towing a 5k trailer or running naked, will climb the side of a mountain....sloooooowly, vacuum operated front diff lock(likes to freeze up in cold weather)

Engine is bulletproof because the vast majority of its mass is in fact solid metal, you can't run it hard enough to break the fucking thing.

I love mine!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great deal, for you.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a good deal.  Great foundation to build up into a serious trail/expo rig.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's got a minimum of 80k miles left is the good news.

Here is the bad news:
No factory lockers, torquey but weak hp engine. 12-14mph whether you're towing a 5k trailer or running naked, will climb the side of a mountain....sloooooowly, vacuum operated front diff lock(likes to freeze up in cold weather)

Engine is bulletproof because the vast majority of its mass is in fact solid metal, you can't run it hard enough to break the fucking thing.

I love mine!
View Quote

all US market 80s are full time 4wd.  The only locker it has is the CDL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a hella deal.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
As far as I know Old Man Emu makes excellent suspensions.  I have an OME sutup in my '96 Tacoma trail rig and some of my rock crawling acquaintances use OME unless they're building dedicated rigs.\
If I ever have to replace my Tundra suspension I will almost certainly go OME.

ETA: That said, don't you think you're kind of burning your buddy a bit?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As far as I know Old Man Emu makes excellent suspensions.  I have an OME sutup in my '96 Tacoma trail rig and some of my rock crawling acquaintances use OME unless they're building dedicated rigs.

If I ever have to replace my Tundra suspension I will almost certainly go OME.

ETA: That said, don't you think you're kind of burning your buddy a bit?

View Quote

He was gonna put it on Craigslist for $2,500 but he would sell it to me for $1,750.

I'm gonna build him a very nice AR valued at about $1,000 plus I'm giving him the difference in cash.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Around here with a quick detail that's a 4500-5000 SUV that would probably sell within hours.

Yes you are royally screwing your bud over. DRY
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Around here with a quick detail that's a 4500-5000 SUV that would probably sell within hours.

View Quote

It needs more than a "quick detail."

He and I are both quite aware of the issues with the truck...

He lurks on a few Land Cruiser forums very frequently.

Tires are at about %50. The transmission probably needs to be replaced/rebuilt within the year...

He bought it as a drivable project vehicle but doesn't have the time to put into it and has lost interest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tires are at about %50. The transmission probably needs to be replaced/rebuilt within the year...

He bought it as a drivable project vehicle but doesn't have the time to put into it and has lost interest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case it's not too bad a deal for him and still a great deal for you
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Minor update: She was over-heating. I paid for the new radiator and finally got her home.

More pix to come!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Minor update: She was over-heating. I paid for the new radiator and finally got her home.

More pix to come!
View Quote

The most common cause of overheating is a bad fan clutch.  When the engine is hot and shut off  grab it and see how much resistance it has.  If it is little to none, buy an aisin blue hub fan clutch from amazon and mod it (see i8mud for details) with heavier silicone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The most common cause of overheating is a bad fan clutch.  When the engine is hot and shut off  grab it and see how much resistance it has.  If it is little to none, buy an aisin blue hub fan clutch from amazon and mod it (see i8mud for details) with heavier silicone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More pix to come!

Thanks for the great advice! Ih8mud is awesome.

I had my mechanic replace the radiator and it's running cool as a cucumber.

The old one was clogged with crud... after he took it out of the truck and it took two days for all the sludge to drain out of it.

It wasn't passing emissions either and he found two vacuum hoses disconnected.

I'm headed to get the emissions tested today...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top