Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 1:48:35 PM EDT
I am rebuilding a small trailer that is to be pulled behind a motorcycle.  It was built in the early 70's, so there are no replacement parts out there.  I am trying to find a new pair of shocks for this trailer, or at least a similar suitable replacement.

The new shocks need to be 10.5 inches eye to eye fully extended, and need to have at least 3.5 inches of travel.

The old shocks are only about an inch wide, and uses 1/4 inch hardware to bolt up.  I can go to bigger bolts if necessary, but not too much bigger with the shock body.  The old shocks have the following markings:

0 7 2
         PATENTS
         Futa
         LIMS
         Italy

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I am dealing with.

Has anyone seen anything like this for sale anywhere?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
quick search.

gocart shocks
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
quick search.

gocart shocks
View Quote

I have seen some of the coil over shocks on Ebay and the like.  I just need the shock, and not the spring.  I suppose that I could cut the spring off if I cannot find just a regular shock.

My best outcome would be a direct replacement, with the same size mounting bolts (1/4") but I realize I may have to do some modifications to get something to work.

I have found a couple of gas lift struts that would fit in this particular application due to their size, however, I think that they would burn up in short order as they are not really meant to be cycled constantly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
can remove the springs easily.. no need to cut them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]

You could use these and have a spherical bearing pressed into the eyes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]

I got excited when I saw the picture, but it isn't quite long enough, and it doesn't have enough stroke.

The shocks I have are pretty much frozen up, but I might try to unstick them.  Even if the seals are shot, I wouldn't think that it would need much drag for such a lightweight trailer.  Maybe I can limp these along while I continue the search for new ones.  I still need to hit a few local stores that have surprised me with oddball parts in the past.  Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
closest I could find 10.5-7.5 hot rod shock

or maybe ask this guy for a spec on ebay 9inch shorty
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Looks like those fit the bill.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If you buy shocks meant to handle the weight of a car you might as well just put a steel rod in their place.  shocks meant to handle 3500 lbs will not move when hooked to a 300 pound trailer, valving will be way too stiff.  I would look for something from a snowmobile.  The small short shock in the rear track suspension seems about the right length.  Maybe the rear shock of a small motorcycle with the spring removed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It looks like the shock from a small motorcycle to me.  Check what's available for older 50 and 80 cc dirt bikes.  They are usually surrounded by a coil spring but the spring is a separate part from the shock.

I just grabbed this particular image from an ebay ad.  There are many others to look over.  Do a search for mini bike shocks, dirt bike shocks, ... stuff like that.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It looks like the shock from a small motorcycle to me.  Check what's available for older 50 and 80 cc dirt bikes.  They are usually surrounded by a coil spring but the spring is a separate part from the shock.

Do a search for mini bike shocks, dirt bike shocks, ... stuff like that.
View Quote

I think that I agree that a car shock will be way too stiff.  I put a little more research into the original shock, and it looks like they were made by a company that made vespa shocks in the 70's.  I think the above posters are correct by thinking dirt bike or snowmobile due to similar weight

So far the shocks mentioned either are not 10.5 inches extended eye to eye or they do not have 3.5 inches of travel.  Everyone is very close, but that criteria is important.  This was the problem I was having when I tried to search for them.  If the new shocks do not meet this criteria, as the old ones did, they will be the limiting factor of the suspension.  That means the shocks will be the bump stops and either break themselves or the fiberglass bucket they're attached to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the link I posted is for snowmobile shocks..and there are several more models there.
View Quote

I appreciate the link, however,  I checked out every single shock from $0 to $115 each (which is more than I want to pay) and could not find any that overlapped the specifications that I needed.

On a positive note, I was able to unstick the old shocks and polish the shafts so they move freely.  There is not a whole lot of resistance, but I can use them to get me by until I find something new that fits.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Just measure the distance compressed and extended from eyelet to eyelet and call up Gabriel. They'll have something.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
is it possible to move either the upper or lower shock mount to allow for a different length shock?

View Quote

The top mount is actually a hole drilled through the fiberglass tub.  I don't think it would be wise to move the hole or redrill it.  The lower mount may be able to be shortened a small amount, but it cannot be lengthened for sure.  I will have to inspect the mount later to see if is possible.  I will say that the way it is put together, it will be a lot of work for just a small amount of relocation.  I will look into it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top