Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My arms hurt just reading this thread

I don't/cant ride, But I hope you all stay safe when you do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an icon vest that I wear when it's hot. I know it won't do much but it makes me feel better then just a tshirt. Only real good thing is it stops the back of a tshirt from flying up when riding. It fits nice and tight and isn't uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's one method of tattoo removal!  No life threatening injuries by the looks of him.  I imagine road rash really really stings.  But road rash is unlikely to kill you.  It's that whole brain separating from your spinal column while doing the speed limit @ 35 mph when a truck pulls out in front of you that killed my colleague.  No amount of gear will prevent that.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have a mesh vest w/ sleeves, elbow pads, & an articulated backpad that makes me look like a stormtrooper.  Much more suitable to Texas & AZ summer riding than a leather jacket.  Think it was an NC Starz design.  Conveniently, it zipped up the front.

Alpinestars, makes more sense.  Get it in white, not black:

http://www.alpinestars.com/bionic-2-protection-jacket-1

http://5cf9f959bf0963c59a2a-252b16f42502684a9c6046db5a5fc8cf.r71.cf1.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/7/4738_black-red_2_14.jpg
View Quote

I had one of these, sold it, wore it twice.  It's really only good for under a non-armored jacket.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had one of these, sold it, wore it twice.  It's really only good for under a non-armored jacket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a mesh vest w/ sleeves, elbow pads, & an articulated backpad that makes me look like a stormtrooper.  Much more suitable to Texas & AZ summer riding than a leather jacket.  Think it was an NC Starz design.  Conveniently, it zipped up the front.

Alpinestars, makes more sense.  Get it in white, not black:

http://www.alpinestars.com/bionic-2-protection-jacket-1

http://5cf9f959bf0963c59a2a-252b16f42502684a9c6046db5a5fc8cf.r71.cf1.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/7/4738_black-red_2_14.jpg

Come on down to Texas, and stay through August...  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as you understand an armored vest only protects your back. Then yes they work.

To all those saying mesh sucks and has failed I wonder how the jacket fit and who made it. I have tested two mesh jackets and seen a few others afterwards and they all held fine with minimal rash. Could have taken a fall running and done more damage.

Get a good quality mesh jacket that is properly fitted to prevent shifting. I've tested a Joe rocket and spidi mesh jacket no issues. I currently use a dainese mesh when temps hit 90+

Problem is most people I hear buying mesh or textile jackets are trying to save money so they get the cheapest they can and wonder wtf when it comes apart. Most people also buy gear that's too loose so they can be more comfortable.

Do what you want. 15 years on the street and 5 years racing, ive noticed almost no one listens to safety advice until they go down. This is a sport full of overinflated egos.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Perforated jacket over a compression shirt keeps me cool enough in the 90s without even unzipping the vents.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I've worn this for four years.  I haven't crashed in it but I think it would protect pretty well...

http://www.carcorralpolaris.com/yoshimura-yoshimura-track-mesh-jacket-detail.htm?productid=7862158
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a total of sixteen sport bike crashes.  Fourteen of those were on the race track learning how to go fast.  The fastest crash on the track was 155MPH and the worst that happened was a couple of sprained fingers.  The two crashes on the street going 30MPH ended up with me in the ER with road rash due to shit riding gear.  

I didn't see it mentioned yet but when you get to the ER they take a sponge and scrub the hell out of your road rash to get the gravel out.  It's not pleasant.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a total of sixteen sport bike crashes.  Fourteen of those were on the race track learning how to go fast.  The fastest crash on the track was 155MPH and the worst that happened was a couple of sprained fingers.  The two crashes on the street going 30MPH ended up with me in the ER with road rash due to shit riding gear.  

I didn't see it mentioned yet but when you get to the ER they take a sponge and scrub the hell out of your road rash to get the gravel out.  It's not pleasant.
View Quote

What's the hottest temperature you regularly ride in?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's summer and it's hot. I'm tired of wearing my jacket every time I ride.

I was thinking about buying an armored vest for riding my sport bike (Honda CBR 600 F3) but wondered what you guys thought of them.

I was thinking of an Icon Stryker but I'm not sure how much I'll like the fact that it opens at the sides instead of the front.

Anyone have one or wear something similar?
View Quote

This is the only vest that you need.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Man that sucks so bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That wasn't helpful.

No seriously, with 16 dumps on the road offer some opinion on what is critical.  I have never went down on the road, only in the dirt/gravel with adventure bikes and dirt bikes.  I have a bagger, but the times when I have been pulled out on or what not I have always been on something else.  I have taken the median and ditch a couple times because I have been on dual/dirt bikes and could avoid it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hottest was at Willow Springs, 105 degrees.  Everything else has been 50's - 90's.  It's best to be wrapped up in a cow.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That wasn't helpful.

No seriously, with 16 dumps on the road offer some opinion on what is critical.  I have never went down on the road, only in the dirt/gravel with adventure bikes and dirt bikes.  I have a bagger, but the times when I have been pulled out on or what not I have always been on something else.  I have taken the median and ditch a couple times because I have been on dual/dirt bikes and could avoid it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't helpful.

What is critical on the pavement is wearing leather.  Most people don't wear racing boots including myself when I rode on the street.  I had a low side crash at turn four at Brainerd due to cold tires and my left foot was caught in the rear set and I was dragged across the track and a long ways into the grass.  I probably wouldn't have a left foot right now if I wasn't wearing a leather and plastic boot.  It's critical that you wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and something for your legs and ass.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We had some 113 today coming through Lotus on the way home,   made the 102 at my door downright comfortable.

North of 100 is no big deal to me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]

For hot weather, perforated leather with cooling sweat wicking undershirts and pants, I have several different brands.    I actually got an upholstery shop to put in a few more strategically placed larger holes with metal grommets to increase airflow over the normal perforation.  

I wear full leathers in Georgia heat and humidity.  As long as I'm moving I feel fine.  Getting stuck in traffic is still hell.  I've ridden sports bikes longer then most riders have been alive, and I am an ATGATT rider.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
It gets hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock in OK in the summer. 90s and 100s with fairly high humidity are normal summer weather. I have pared down to three full sets of gear and I always wear my gear. Armored jacket and pants. I have cool weather gear and two sets of mesh. One set of mesh (Olympia Airglide jacket/pants) is what I wear day to day since its pretty casual looking. I wear Cortech HRX jacket and pants for more spirited riding. My cool weather gear is a Tourmaster Epic jacket and Caliber pants.
On very very rare occasions like a short ride down to the barber shop or some such thats only a couple miles of back roads and small town streets I will forgo the overpants but I always wear helmet, jacket, good armored gloves and motorcycle boots.
I also have some knee/shin armor that straps to my legs that I can wear if I do want to just go with jeans though I don't do that often. Its probably better armor than whats in my pants but it doesnt cover my ass.
I have ridden many times in the 110F range and its is fking HOT but I actually think it would be more uncomfortable without a jacket. As has been said as long as you are moving its not terrible. Stop and go traffic is awful. I figure if its too hot for gear then its too hot to ride.

I have crashed twice. First time was prob about 40mph. Hit a pothole because I was sight seeing (IE had my head up my ass) and it was deep enough (the pothole not my ass) that it caved in my wheels and broke the corner off my oil pan. I was wearing all gear except riding pants and as has also been mentioned my jean disintegrated. As I was sliding even at such a low speed (head first on my stomach) my knees started burning so I pushed off with my hands and feet and as a result my leather full gauntlet gloves burned thru in a couple places and I had to have loose skin trimmed off one hand and got a few stitches. Imagine if I hadn't been wearing gloves. I do not relish the thought of having to ask my gorgeous wife to wipe my ass because I thought it was too hot for gloves and then crashed.
The rest of my gear held up really well though the jacket had to be replaced. It was a first gear textile jacket.

The 2nd crash I was wearing full leathers and carrying a passenger. Decreasing radius turn caught me off guard. I leaned the bike all the way over until hard parts touched down and washed the front. A few seams burst (apparently Teknic has/had a reputation for that) but otherwise I didn't have a scratch despite the fact that my passenger rode me across the asphalt like a toboggan. I picked up the bike. Looked it over and then went on my way.

Riding is a risky endeavor but its one that I love and choose to do but I figure I can at least try to minimize the risk as much as possible. Besides crashing hurts like hell. Also I like being able to wipe my own ass.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#20]
If comfort in a hot weather environment is your concern, I don't think a leather vest is going to be that helpful, your core is still going to get hot and get little airflow. The only way I could see a vest being beneficial is if it has a spine protector of some sort. Otherwise it would just be for looks.

I'm with the others here that are recommending perforated leather.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
My guess is that OP just has some awesome ink he wants to show off...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top