http://www.autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-Ford-Mustang-horsepower

A bit more than the 2014 and earlier models. almost as much as the Boss 302

We’ve known the new 2015 Ford Mustang
was going to be more powerful than the car it replaces since it was
revealed late last year, but the Blue Oval has been cagey with the
details. Today, the automaker has revealed output information, and it
looks good so far.

The 5.0-liter V8 is probably what fans are most
excited to hear about -- it’s good for 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque.
That’s a tidy 15 hp and 10 lb-ft increase over the outgoing model, and
it’s within spitting distance of the 444-hp Boss 302. Not bad.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford will have to step up their game to get Hellcat numbers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more twin turbo coyote.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Your comparing apples to oranges..............

A Hellcat starts at about $60,000.  Mustang GT starts about $33,000.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine will be green.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, and the RT Scat Pack puts out 485hp/475tq, 0-60 in 4sec and low 12's in the quarter for around the same price as a GT premium. (The R/T scat has more features than a base R/T standard like a GT premium does over a base GT.

I think Ford is sandbagging this year knowing the new 6G Camaro is coming very soon.  I was hoping to see 450hp/425tq out of the new GT.  With its weight gain, the car will have little improvement in its times.

Cant wait to see what the new 350 can do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would rock!  That 11:1 compression ratio is pretty high for FI though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol...

Uh.  

GT500 with a simple blower swap and done.   The SuperSnakes have eclipsed that for years but the price tag of the HellCat makes it hard to beat.

HellCat is a damn good deal if it can be had for under 60k.

But that is okay.  Out going 2011-2014s with Hellion twin turbos throw down 700 plus all day long.   So base 2013GT for 33k + hellion kit and supporting mods for another 8-12k.   You have a serious beast but not factory supplied.

I too am curious to see if Ford goes for brute force or for something more subtle or even sophisticated even if it means less power.

Quoted:
Yeah, and the RT Scat Pack puts out 485hp/475tq, 0-60 in 4sec and low 12's in the quarter for around the same price as a GT premium. (The R/T scat has more features than a base R/T standard like a GT premium does over a base GT.

I think Ford is sandbagging this year knowing the new 6G Camaro is coming very soon.  I was hoping to see 450hp/425tq out of the new GT.  With its weight gain, the car will have little improvement in its times.

Cant wait to see what the new 350 can do.

I think they need time.   The SVT/racing prototype had already been spotted over in Germany so something is coming.

What it will be who knows.    But it took a few years for the GT500 to follow the introduction of the sn197.    The fact that the performance option is already in the works for the new car is a good sign.

I cannot wait to see what tuners with usual stuff can find left on the table.

The Challenger is an aging chassis/design so for the hot shit ride to finally come along, bout damn time.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless their pricing schemes, they're both muscle cars.

Admit it, you wouldn't mind seeing a 700+ hp Mustang.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Gains 15hp but gains 87lbs. Pretty much a wash. Hopefully the IRS will actually not be crap this time around.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ford is sandbagging this year knowing the new 6G Camaro is coming very soon. I was hoping to see 450hp/425tq out of the new GT. With its weight gain, the car will have little improvement in its times.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gains 15hp but gains 87lbs. Pretty much a wash. Hopefully the IRS will actually not be crap this time around.
View Quote

The irs wasnt complete crap by the time the 03/04 Cobra came out but it was almost pointless with the 99+.    The 03/04 at least was a little more durable.    Problem was them trying to cram an adapted cobled together system into the chassis that was meant to use the sra and 4 link.    That is just a recipe for a bundle of mornful sadness and compromise.

Thjs go around it is basically an entirely new car.   I dont know if they are even reusing any of the floor pan of the out going sn197.     If they didnt, from the initial inception, begin to design a proper IRS then I dont knkw what to say.

I have seen the renders of the front/rear suspension.   The front sounds like one hell of a design and for mcpherson strut type designs it should be about the best possible option over SRA double A arms with coil overs.     The rear geometry I cannot make heads or tails of.   Seems to be a lot of crossing loads and strange geometry.    I only hope what ever rear they come up with it is able to handle the 550-650hp that will get put to it through blown Coyotes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with DI and modern ECU's.
My 2007 335i is 10.5 to 1 and that FI/DI engine will be 10 years old in a few years.

You can do crazy things with FI, DI and high compression when you play with other fuels. I run a 101 octane E85 tune, 15 degrees of timing and over 13 to 1 AFR WOT.

Most convential engines would melt running those numbers N/A let alone being boosted.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My 2007 335i is 10.5 to 1 and that FI/DI engine will be 10 years old in a few years.

You can do crazy things with FI, DI and high compression when you play with other fuels. I run a 101 octane E85 tune, 15 degrees of timing and over 13 to 1 AFR WOT.

Most convential engines would melt running those numbers N/A let alone being boosted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose, the N54 engine is an awesome piece of tech.  Way ahead of its time.  If they would have dropped the compression a point or so, they could have gotten more than 8psi out of it hohugh.  Also, the fact that the Coyote engine is not provisioned for DI would require a new motor design.  Probably next generation. With the incredible success of the ecoboost, I cannot fathom why an ecoboost V8 wont be coming down the pipeline eventually.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I suppose, the N54 engine is an awesome piece of tech.  Way ahead of its time.  If they would have dropped the compression a point or so, they could have gotten more than 8psi out of it hohugh.  Also, the fact that the Coyote engine is not provisioned for DI would require a new motor design.  Probably next generation. With the incredible success of the ecoboost, I cannot fathom why an ecoboost V8 wont be coming down the pipeline eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can run about 15-16 lbs of boost on pump gas so it's not limited to 8psi by any means.
Ford might make an ecoboost V8 someday but it will probably go into a special vehicle like a low production version of the mustang or something equivalent to the Ford GT.

One thing is for sure, as the tech moves forward less cylinders/cubes are needed so a V8 ecoboost might not even be necessary in 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can run about 15-16 lbs of boost on pump gas so it's not limited to 8psi by any means.
Ford might make an ecoboost V8 someday but it will probably go into a special vehicle like a low production version of the mustang or something equivalent to the Ford GT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  The N54 has been known to get up to 19psi with supporting mods and a good tune.  The 8 was just stock numbers.  Anything is possible with the aftermarket.  I have seen some low 12 second Ford Edge Ecoboost with killer tunes at the track. That is a sight to see.

The Raptor would be awesome with a V8 Eco.  Frankly, if Ford can keep the motor together at 500hp with the V6 ecoboost, I dont see any reason why they would invest in the V8 except for because V8.  With the new CAFE standards around the corner too, I hope the project doesnt get shelved.

My prediction is the 707hp Hellcat and the possible 750HP GT500 will be the end of the high horsepower number battle.  Chevy has already said they wont chase the Hellcat number for the Camaro.  They are putting their eggs in the lighter C6 Camaro.  

The auto industry will probably shift to lighter weight and efficiency.  Say a 3200# GT500 with 600hp.  It would have the same straight line capabilities as the 664 GT500 @ 3800#'s.  The really big dog numbers will become the exclusive territory of the super cars and limited production models like ZR1 and such.  2015/2016 model year could be mirroring 1970/1971 all over again.  Imagine if the hellcat were 3400 pounds.  It would only need the same 600hp to achieve what it currently needs 700 to push its 4400# tub.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to see a shift to lighter weight vehicles, you knew things were bad when the new camaro came out years ago with one of the best engines ever made but it barely edged out the older, lighter weaker LS1 Fbodies.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would love to see a shift to lighter lighter vehicles, you knew things are bad when the new camaro came out years ago with one of the best engines ever made but it barely edged out the older, lighter weaker LS1 Fbodies.

View Quote

Yup.  The Camaro has been out for 5 model years now and hasnt changed the base V8's hp at all.  Still at 426.  Nearly 4000#'s is a lot.  I was severely disappointed to see the Mustang gain weight.  I really thought it was going to shed some pounds like the 15 F150 did.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup.  The Camaro has been out for 5 model years now and hasnt changed the base V8's hp at all.  Still at 426.  Nearly 4000#'s is a lot.  I was severely disappointed to see the Mustang gain weight.  I really thought it was going to shed some pounds like the 15 F150 did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love to see a shift to lighter lighter vehicles, you knew things are bad when the new camaro came out years ago with one of the best engines ever made but it barely edged out the older, lighter weaker LS1 Fbodies.

The Challenger is still pushing 4100+lbs. I really hope manufacturers start to focus on traction/weight more than just raw HP. Sure the Hellcat has over 700hp but it's not nearly as fast as it should be for a car with that kind of power.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The more things change, the more they stay the same:

1985 Mustang engines: 5.0 V8 and 2.3 intercooled turbo

2015 Mustang engines: 5.0 V8 and 2.3 intercooled turbo

I loved the 2.3L turbo SVO from the mid '80s, I'm sure the 2015 2.3L ecoboost will be a hoot, too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see how that modern 2.3 turbo would do on some cornahol vs. Its older brother.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd like to see how that modern 2.3 turbo would do on some cornahol vs. Its older brother.
View Quote

Looks like it has potential, that's for sure.

Forged internals and oil squirters (I presume that is what the piston cooling jets are) from the factory.

Electronic boost controller and away you go.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
just resurrecting a dying thread - a thread that will probably end up costing me money.

The weight increase appears to be mostly from redesigning the rear suspension.  The muscle cars of the past were known for brute power, not so much for handling.  Of course the Mustang was a pony car, not a muscle car..., somewhat different design goal.  I have to wonder in the end what will the rides be like.  Both in terms of handling and comfort.

Of course, asking that question might just prove a single point - I am getting to old.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Since I have one on order, I have been following this car carefully.  I've read a few reports of guys lucky enough to get to ride or even sit in one, and it all sounds great.  The Boss from last year put out more HP, but it could not keep up with the new GT due to the redesigned suspension. Apparently it is beyond Ford's customers expectations.  I'm patiently checking cotus abut 87 times a day waiting on my VIN, window sticker and scheduled build date.  I placed the order May 20th.
The manual cars come with a cast iron 3rd member/center section and the auto's are getting aluminum.  Can't wait to see how many auto's start breaking the rearends after mods are done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2014 Mustang GT500 packs 662 hp off the lot, for $55k.

The 2015 GT350 is rumored to ship with a Whipple supercharger attached that could boost the hp rating to 700+.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Already been done with the  850HP  Super Snake.    That was not the goal.   The Hellcat can not get out of its own way in a corner.  The 2015 GT will out corner the previous Boss 302 for 10K less.  That was the goal.
Quoted:

The Hellcat is a muscle car (sedan).  The Mustang is a Pony Car...
If you notice, the Hellcat is being advertised as the most powerful "Sedan", not the most powerful car.  The Super Snake holds that title..
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Already been done with the  850HP  Super Snake.    That was not the goal.   The Hellcat can not get out of its own way in a corner.  The 2015 GT will out corner the previous Boss 302 for 10K less.  That was the goal.

If you notice, the Hellcat is being advertised as the most powerful "Sedan", not the most powerful car.  The Super Snake holds that title..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

with track package- nom nom nom  
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I would like to see how this IRS is going to pan out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would like to see how this IRS is going to pan out.

View Quote

Reportedly, in early testing, the rear was functioning so well that they had to redesign the front suspension to take advantage of the improved handling characteristics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 600+ hp shelby already puts out more power than is usable.  The Boss 302 could spank it around a track.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I really think it is hard to build a light car anymore without spending extreme amounts of money on exotic materials. There are so many safety requirements that I dont think they have much choice.

I am in my 30's and believe that I will see the death of hot rod factory cars in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong but I do not like the way things are going with all the green movements and general attitudes towards these vehicles.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the Super Snake street legal?? I thought it was a non street legal drag car???
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really think it is hard to build a light car anymore without spending extreme amounts of money on exotic materials. There are so many safety requirements that I dont think they have much choice.

I am in my 30's and believe that I will see the death of hot rod factory cars in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong but I do not like the way things are going with all the green movements and general attitudes towards these vehicles.

Is the Super Snake street legal?? I thought it was a non street legal drag car???
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt it similar to the COPO as it has no VIN?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be the Cobra Jet car... Serialized but not Street Legal...  https://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/

The Super Snake is a "Street Legal" monster..  

You can take your  Shelby GT500, hand it over to Shelby American, and drive home from the outfit's facility at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with an 850-hp car that will blaze through the lights on the quarter-mile and then take you for burgers and fries afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why I have my 95 and 05 with an interest in a 15 or some other fun toy.   The 95 and 05 are not the hottest things around but once modded they wont be a slouch and if anyone assumes they are slow they will be in for a surprise.

600+hp modded coyote fast?    No, but fast enough to swat away non modded contenders.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That would be the Cobra Jet car... Serialized but not Street Legal...  https://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/
https://www.fordracingparts.com/images/CobraJet/2011_CJ_Header_2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.fordracingparts.com/images/CobraJet/2011_CJ_Header_2.jpg

You can take your  Shelby GT500, hand it over to Shelby American, and drive home from the outfit's facility at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with an 850-hp car that will blaze through the lights on the quarter-mile and then take you for burgers and fries afterwards.

Yup got them mixed up. I was thinking of the Cobra Jet car.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I met a guy driving a street legal Cobra Jet last year at Mustang Week. He titled it as a kit car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top