Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2014 10:14:55 PM EDT
Just acquired a 2001 Suburban and wondered if it is possible to get a build sheet or copy of the window sticker?

Also is it possible to have the vehicle re-keyed as I only received one factory key and a generic key. I don't know yet if VATS has been bypassed or not. Do not know either whether vehicle has remote door locks. I do know the security system is different than my 200 Silverado with manual door locks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet talk your dealership parts guy and he can print out a build sheet. It won't be the same as a window sticker....less consumer info, more tech info.

No key operated vats on your suburban. The theft module works right off the cylinder itself. I'm sure it has keyless entry...iirc those transmitters can be user programmed so that makes it cheaper on you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a link to some VIN look-up applications.

There also may be an application for GM on there somewhere: researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get two remotes, program them yourself. Go to Walmart or a locksmith and get two extra keys made. If you wanna spend a little more, you can got to the dealership with your VIN number and proof of ownership and have some "factory" keys made. Really they are just looking up your key number from your vin and cutting keys from blanks with your pattern. Just as easy to have Walmart do it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have thought it had VATS. IRC my 2000 Silverado has VATS.

Since the Suburban doesn't have VAT it should be easy for me to change the lock cylinders. I have done this in the past with older vehicles.

This thing looks rough but drives good. It was owned by an early 20s female druggie that got busted. She got in a bind for money and I stole it for a grand.

It needs a massive cleaning inside. The lift gate window is broken out. Rear bumper is twisted. They used a chain to pull a stuck friend out. CHAIN BROKE!

Right side of hood and headlight looks like they hit the corner of a parked tractor trailer.  No real idea what they hit.

Going to ask a friend at the sheriff's dept. if they will inspect it with K9.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
GM trucks didn't take a VATS key until the new style '07 trucks came out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
So any key that will fit the cylinder will disable the alarm?

Can the remote receiver be reprogrammed?

Trying prevent waking up one morning or going to grocery store and find it missing.

Everyone of her friends drove the thing.No telling who has keys or the remotes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GM trucks didn't take a VATS key until the new style '07 trucks came out.
View Quote

You sure? My dads 02 Silverado wouldn't work with a basic copied key. Would start then instantly die. Similar to when the PATS chip fell out of my Mustang key.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Been doing some research. YES it does have a security transponder for the key. It is called Passlock 2. It is the same system that is in my 2000 Silverado. I suspect the system has been bypassed as I have a generic key. I haven't tried it yet.

Damn Crackheads! LOL At least whoever riggged up the radio with the boom box in the back didn't tamper with the underhood wiring.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like someone disabled or bypassed the Passlock system. The generic key that looks like a key made at the hardware start the vehicle.

The security system still works. I tested it with the window down and doors locked electrically.  Manually unlocked the door and opened it. Alarm sounded.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Pass lock keys are not transponder keys. Your security system is still in place. It works off of the ignition cylinder and an anti theft module around it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pass lock keys are not transponder keys. Your security system is still in place. It works off of the ignition cylinder and an anti theft module around it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since the security is built in to the lock cylinder I can go to any hardware store a get a key made?

Here is about the closest description I could find. I understand the principal of the two hall effect sensors and reading the resistance change in the lock cylinder.
Passlock works by reading the resistance of the key lock cylinder circuit before and after cranking. This prevents a simple resistor bypass trick from working since the resistance changes from X ohms to 0 ohms (or the other way around I can't quite remember), where X is the value of the resistor specific to your vehicle. This is done by the body control module. If the BCM find that the key lock cylinder reading is valid, it sends an encoded PWM signal to the PCM to allow the truck to continue running. If the PCM does not receive this signal within a certain period of time after starting, it will shut the fuel injectors off. There is no way to bypass that.

Now knowing that back to my original dilemma. What do I need to do to have the vehicle re-keyed? I can change out lock cylinders but it appears the ignition cylinder and the BCM is more involved.

Also is the radio system tied into the factory security system? Yeah they rigged up a different radio than factory.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't believe the radio is tied in to the security system. As far as re keying goes you can buy a complete lock cylinder set on ebay for $100 or less....that would be the easiest way.

That system prevents the truck from starting when the lock cylinder is removed ( popping it out and using a screwdriver won't let it run). Not the most hi tech set up but it works pretty good. The cylinder itself has a magnet on it that when you turn it and it goes "pass" the theft module (hall switch) it tells the bcm to allow the pcm to start and run the engine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't believe the radio is tied in to the security system. As far as re keying goes you can buy a complete lock cylinder set on ebay for $100 or less....that would be the easiest way.

That system prevents the truck from starting when the lock cylinder is removed ( popping it out and using a screwdriver won't let it run). Not the most hi tech set up but it works pretty good. The cylinder itself has a magnet on it that when you turn it and it goes "pass" the theft module (hall switch) it tells the bcm to allow the pcm to start and run the engine.
View Quote

Thanks for the help. In researching this I found there is so much crap and wrong info online about security issues. It appears from what your telling me and from the junk I filtered out from online info that everything security wise is working properly. So yes now on to re-keying, getting new remotes, and re-programming remote system to ignore lost remotes. I have a few more issues to eventually fix, but security issues come first.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
It won't start when the system doesn't recognize the key. There's an idiot light on the dash. If it starts flashing while you're driving, the system is about to lock. The next time you shut it off, it won't start.

The linked thread is my recent and joyful Passlock adventure. My advice to you is to print the relearn instructions and keep them handy in case it fails on you. That's the fourth time it happened. It's supposed to be pretty easy to defeat the system, but I decided to see what would happen if I cleaned the contacts and left it in place. So far, it's fine. This method works. It's from GM and I used it. If you take it to a GM dealer, they'll charge you a couple of hundred bucks to do the same thing.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1629611_Is_anyone_familiar_with_the_GM_Passlock_system_.html
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It won't start when the system doesn't recognize the key. There's an idiot light on the dash. If it starts flashing while you're driving, the system is about to lock. The next time you shut it off, it won't start.

The linked thread is my recent and joyful Passlock adventure. My advice to you is to print the relearn instructions and keep them handy in case it fails on you. That's the fourth time it happened. It's supposed to be pretty easy to defeat the system, but I decided to see what would happen if I cleaned the contacts and left it in place. So far, it's fine. This method works. It's from GM and I used it. If you take it to a GM dealer, they'll charge you a couple of hundred bucks to do the same thing.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1629611_Is_anyone_familiar_with_the_GM_Passlock_system_.html
View Quote

The trucks use a different system than the cars do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's got the one with a chip in the head of the key, doesn't it need a spare key with a reader in order to defeat it? That's what we used to do to install remote starts on Nissans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If he's got the one with a chip in the head of the key, doesn't it need a spare key with a reader in order to defeat it? That's what we used to do to install remote starts on Nissans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trucks until '07 use a normal key without a transponder in the head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top