Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2014 6:28:23 AM EDT
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with 190,000 miles on it. The other day I got in it, started it up and realized I had the Key for the Chrysler 300 in the ignition switch. It ran for roughly 5-8 seconds before I noticed this. I took the key out and restarted the truck with the correct key. It would run for a second or two then it would shut off. I did this for 4 or 5 more times, every time the truck would start but shut off after a second or two. Then it would not start at all.

I figured this has something to do with the anti theft system and maybe it needed to be reset by the dealership. Took it in. Explained everything that happened. They call me today saying they think the injectors are all bad and will have inspect them @ $115 per hour min of 3 hours. Injectors never had any issues before this, Was getting consistent mileage and never a hiccup.

I freaking hate dealerships.

Does the anti-theft devise need to be reset or did I just run the fuel filter dry and it needs to be primed again to get it to start?

Also, not to mention I realize I need to get the ignition switch fixed/replaced.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Unrelated to the ignition switch.

From what I have read, that's about the service life for the HPCR injectors. Have also heard that they are rather expensive. Sucks, but you don't want to risk even more expensive damage to the engine from a failed injector.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Just unplug your battery for 30 mins and hook it back up. Thats all it takes. I have a gremlin under the hood in my 06 5.9 and have to do this every so often.
And dont have the dealer do injectors. Just get a set of 50-60 hp from a good brand. But definitely get a second opinion to ensure they are bad. But 190k sounds about right for replacements.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the Sentry system bugged out to me. I've never seen injectors start then stall. They can develop excessive spillback and cause a long crank time, or crank no start. They skip, smoke, misfire, knock, burn holes in the pistons but I've not seen one cause a start then stall.

The test they want to run is a spillback test, but it doesn't sound appropriate to your concern. If the no start was fuel related, it can be found by a simple data check while cranking, the fuel system will never achieve the 4,500 psi necessary to start. Then you do spillback to find the faulty injectors.

I think a $450 Sentry module might be in your future. As well as some new keys and a lock cylinder.

The fuel lift system on that is electric in tank pump,  I do put a lot of pumps in them, though. If the lift pump is weak, it can trap air in the system that it cannot drive back down the return lines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unrelated to the ignition switch.

From what I have read, that's about the service life for the HPCR injectors. Have also heard that they are rather expensive. Sucks, but you don't want to risk even more expensive damage to the engine from a failed injector.

View Quote

blew two injectors on a PCS move from alaska to texas. cost of part was 690$ a piece....
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If you use the wrong Chrysler key to start the wrong Chrysler product, it can go into a lock out mode, from which you must use the correct key and leave it in the on position for an hour with a battery charger hooked up.  I'd try to reset it first by leaving the battery disconnected for 30 minutes or so to see if will clear it up.  

The dealer can fix it with their starscan, but that would require a tow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
i have the Smarty Jr. PoD progammer for my 5.9 it has a DTC reader and i can clear codes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i have the Smarty Jr. PoD progammer for my 5.9 it has a DTC reader and i can clear codes.
View Quote

You're not clearing a p code when the wrong key is used.  You are clearing the security sentry system.  The smarty would not help you in this case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top