Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 10:01:19 PM EDT
Just sold the Buell XB12.
Serious hard- on for a DRZ400.
This one has the FCR39 keihin, and some fancy ass titanium pipe.
Tell me all the reasons I don't want a 320 pound, 35 horsepower streetbike with 11 inch suspension.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
#1: No fun on longer trips on the highway.  The wind beats you up and you have to keep it rung-up high to keep up with traffic (at least around here where everyone drives 75-80 everywhere).
#2: 35HP.  I owned one and every time I rode it I just wished it had more power (like my former KTM 625 did).

But it is a fun bike for around-town ripping.  Can't beat it for that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Speed limits are 45 to 55 mph here. Have to ride 150 miles to find any high speed pavement.
Have a BMW for LongDistance touring.
.KLR for a spare/ loaner bike.
DRZ is for ride to work, and  local fun, 3.9 gallon tank installed already. Priced right at 4500.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Cuz tickets are expensive. Wr450f here. Got pulled over again last Friday
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Speed limits are 45 to 55 mph here. Have to ride 150 miles to find any high speed pavement.

DRZ is for ride to work, and  local fun, 3.9 gallon tank installed already. Priced right at 4500.

View Quote
It's perfect then.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell me all the reasons I don't want a 320 pound, 35 horsepower streetbike with 11 inch suspension.
View Quote

Highway speeds are no fun.
Police will give you tickets for riding on the sidewalks.
People will hate you becasue you're having too much fun.
Your inner "asshole rider" will come out more often than if you were riding a Concours
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not? Because KTMs are awesome. and orange!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just sold the Buell XB12.
Serious hard- on for a DRZ400.
This one has the FCR39 keihin, and some fancy ass titanium pipe.
View Quote

Because you could get a 320 pound 55 horsepower streetbike with 11" suspension and better gearing.

Motard an XR650R, or many other 525+ cc enduros.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
For those speeds it would be a good fun bike.

However for that price, I think one could find something in the KTM or Husky Kool Aid with sumo wheels that would have another 20 HP.  It would take it from grin inducing DRZ to sheer lunacy on wheels!  Plus a 6 speed is nice
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
How hooligan are you? That will tell the tale.

My Deezer in SuMo trim is a riot. You won't set any land speed records, but it's a stone (both weight and reliability-wise) but it's fun if you can accept that it's a bit lady and slow. Still, well ridden, it will rip up sportbikes on the right road.

That said......My Husky SMR is ten times the bike that the Deezer is, just more of a maintenance intensive bitch.

So how hooligan are you? Wanna have fun? Get the DRZ. Need 10/10ths intensity? Well......that's why I went with the 510SMR.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My Deezer in SuMo trim is a riot. You won't set any land speed records, but it's a stone (both weight and reliability-wise) but it's fun if you can accept that it's a bit lady and slow. Still, well ridden, it will rip up sportbikes on the right road.

That said......My Husky SMR is ten times the bike that the Deezer is, just more of a maintenance intensive bitch.

So how hooligan are you? Wanna have fun? Get the DRZ. Need 10/10ths intensity? Well......that's why I went with the 510SMR.

View Quote
And like others have said there is the in between bikes,  still pretty damn reliable and a good chunk of more go.   I like this, well cause it's mine.

That being said,  you'd still have a hell of a good bike with the DRZ. ( sorry about this,  just can't help myself )

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And like others have said there is the in between bikes,  still pretty damn reliable and a good chunk of more go.   I like this, well cause it's mine.

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140402_102609_zpsqfnao5wl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140402_102609_zpsqfnao5wl.jpg</a>  

That being said,  you'd still have a hell of a good bike with the DRZ. ( sorry about this,  just can't help myself )

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/drz_zps1948b834.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/drz_zps1948b834.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/IMG_20140402_102609_zpsqfnao5wl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/IMG_20140402_102609_zpsqfnao5wl.jpg</a>  

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Pinepig/media/drz_zps1948b834.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/Pinepig/drz_zps1948b834.jpg</a>

I know a girl that rides a DRZ and not only does she wrench on her own bike she's smokin' hot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a fun supermoto buy a euro bike (KTM, Husaberg, Beta, etc). You can get a 50ish HP 275ish pound smile machine just not from any of the jap makers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to buy one, you are doing it the right way, with the mods already done.  I stopped before it became a complete money pit that cost as much as a 510 but still wasn't a 510

Some guys say they have junk brakes.  It was easy to toss the rear wheel in the air with the stock setup so I don't see how that is.

Yes the Euro bikes are faster and have much higher quality components, but my buddy that had a 625 SMC never complained about me being slow on the 400 SM with just a carb and pipe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you want a fun supermoto buy a euro bike (KTM, Husaberg, Beta, etc). You can get a 50ish HP 275ish pound smile machine just not from any of the jap makers.
View Quote
If he can plate a Yamaha WR450f where he is,  yes he can,   and it's probably the most reliable 450 made.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a DRZ400SM and I fucking loved it.  I (stupidly) sold it to my brother and he loved it.

Bike is too much fun at 45mph.  That said it could use another 75cc and 10hp.  but it is FUCKING FUN!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's perfect then.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's perfect then.  

Yep, sounds like FO time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If he can plate a Yamaha WR450f where he is,  yes he can,   and it's probably the most reliable 450 made.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the WR450f have a wide ratio trans so you can cruise at 70 and not be redlined? On my Ktm with my gearing which is more towards offroad I can crawl in 1st or hit close to 100 in sixth and still power wheelie in 3rd. Some of the guys who ride sumo KTM's  (mines set up for dirt) run more street biased gearing and can hit 110-115mph (which is flying on a tall light bike with no wind protection).

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Cause you just got off a Buell.  

I have a KLR and it isn't exactly a sport bike.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Does the WR450f have a wide ratio trans so you can cruise at 70 and not be redlined? On my Ktm with my gearing which is more towards offroad I can crawl in 1st or hit close to 100 in sixth and still power wheelie in 3rd. Some of the guys who ride sumo KTM's  (mines set up for dirt) run more street biased gearing and can hit 110-115mph (which is flying on a tall light bike with no wind protection).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but the OP would have to go 150 miles to even find freeway and a nice aluminum framed wr can be had for 3500 or so,  good luck finding a nice EXC for that.

The above post is obviously written by somebody who drinks from the bottle that is orange and full of koolaid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No but the OP would have to go 150 miles to even find freeway and a nice aluminum framed wr can be had for 3500 or so,  good luck finding a nice EXC for that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:snip

The above post is obviously written by somebody who drinks from the bottle that is orange and full of koolaid.
Not a orange drinker I have only owned one KTM and tons of jap bikes. If any of the big 4 would actually make a decent enduro type bike I would buy one. The jap makers are only interested in making MX/SX type bikes. If they ever do come out with a WR450R I would buy one tomorrow (I had the WR250R it was gutless but a great dual sport bike).

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
All the DRZ really needs is a 6th gear.
You make do with what you have as far as horsepower goes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but that orange koolaid is GOOD!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Because it's an adrenaline rush. My hooligan DRZ400SM with a few mods; including a Muzzy can.  Other than the mud on my SIDI's, 3 low-sides and no worse for wear.   On the street, I can two-up with my GF and rail with guys running 750's and liters. They'll smoke me on the straights, but on par in the corners.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got four Z-400s and have always wanted a DRZ to run to work and back. Great little motors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top