Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:23:03 PM EDT
im looking at a xr1200x harley. found a good price on a bike and owner seems resistant to take to a shop for inspection. he says hes fine with having someone inspect but does not "want to take half a day" to bring to a shop and have someone inspect...would this be a red flag for you guys? if not what are some suggestions to make him more willing to have the bike looked at? thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
walk

Even if he's legit, why bother with someone who isn't willing to actually...sell his bike.

It's a mechanical thing that costs $$$$.  It's reasonable to have it inspected.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you had cash in hand I wouldn't bother, it always ends up with the person lowballing because the mechanic said it was worth x amount.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
walk

Even if he's legit, why bother with someone who isn't willing to actually...sell his bike.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
now what YOU re buying or don't buy, don' t  inconvenience me
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I would tell you the same thing.  Know what you are looking at or bring someone with you that does.

Asking to load up my bike to have your mechanic finger it would piss me off.

Harleys are real simple to inspect for problems.  Hire your mechanic to drop by and look at it at the seller's convenience.  If he's still willing to deal with you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
im looking at a xr1200x harley. found a good price on a bike and owner seems resistant to take to a shop for inspection. he says hes fine with having someone inspect but does not "want to take half a day" to bring to a shop and have someone inspect...would this be a red flag for you guys? if not what are some suggestions to make him more willing to have the bike looked at? thanks in advance
View Quote

I wouldn't do it.  Of course I've never been desperate to sell either.

I've also never heard of a buyer requesting a seller to take his bike in for an inspection as a condition of sale.  Who pays for the inspection?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Walk.  If he wants to sell it and you have money, then there is a reason he wants to unload it without an inspection.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you're in the wrong. If you want to have someone knowledgeable look at an expensive bike (reasonable) you should bring that person with you when you go to the owner's place (reasonable) and not go elsewhere with it (unreasonable).

In all the vehicles I've sold and bought privately, I've never been asked to agree to that. I've had people show up with mechanics. This does not bother me. Apparently, I'm odd, because I already told the potential buyer about whatever the mechanic is going to find.

I have shown up with people who were more knowledgeable than me and seen it put off the seller. No sale. The seller might be weird, might be hiding something. I'd rather not find out.

Your best bet is to bring a friend with you who know what you're buying. An experienced rider probably knows the bike and definitely knows what shows when the bike was mistreated or otherwise damaged. Google is your best friend. Somewhere on a message board, somebody bitched about every single thing on that bike. Next look at the modifications. Just because somebody modified it does not mean they modified it correctly. Putting dirt bike tires on your Harley would be pretty obvious, but you want to understand what the guy is talking about if he starts rattling off technical terms and aftermarket stuff. Make a list of popular mods if you want. Be a dick. It's your money.

If you can wait, wait. There's always another bike. They're mass produced.

Since you want a Harley, go to a Harley store. Look at the accessories they sell. Look at the stuff on the used bikes. Go during the day on a weekday and just talk to the staff. Tell them what you're doing and see if they'll help you learn a little bit. The worst thing they can say is, "No," and they won't say it because if you buy a used one now, you'll probably come back and buy some high profit margin stuff, and eventually another bike, later.

Here's my list of basic stuff you should look at when you want to buy a bike: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1611773_Looking_to_buy_a_motorcycle.html&page=2#i46700397
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#9]
You talking state inspection or a "pre buying" inspection?

I'd probably take the bike in for a state inspection but I wouldn't take one in just to get a laundry list of insignificant bs that an uninformed,  non mechanically inclined buyer would try to use to beat the price down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If I was the seller I wouldn't do it either.  You should know what your looking for or bring someone who does.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I was the seller I wouldn't do it either.  You should know what your looking for or bring someone who does.
View Quote

Correct-answer.

If YOU cannot inspect it well enought to buy it, tough shit. I'd tell you to hit the road.

It's a bike, not a house.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#12]
My wages for half a day , HD dealer shop fee, who is paying? Go to buy informed. If a guy wanted to come by my house, pull a plug for compression check, do a visual no problem. Taking off work missing money on the premise you might buy it is a losing money for the seller moment every time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't let them have anything I had inspected.  Sounds like a ploy for me to waist my time and money.  If you don't know what your buying sorry about your luck.  Bring a friend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Offer him 1/2 price for taking on the risk of there being something wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
As has been stated here you're not entitled to any of the sellers time or resources beyond seeing and inspecting the bike. Either know what you're doing or have someone along who does, otherwise pay the premium at a dealers lot for new/used...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would tell you the same thing.  Know what you are looking at or bring someone with you that does.

Asking to load up my bike to have your mechanic finger it would piss me off.

Harleys are real simple to inspect for problems.  Hire your mechanic to drop by and look at it at the seller's convenience.  If he's still willing to deal with you.
View Quote

Yep...I agree. If I was selling my bike and someone wanted me to take it to a mechanic for them to "inspect".....with no guarantee that they were actually going to buy the bike, I would tell them to go to hell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#17]
As mentioned, bring a friend.

I will say that the xr1200x is a reliable bike, and the only issues you may find would be crash damage, or mods made by the owner.  

If it jumps into gear, it could be a poorly adjusted primary chain.  You may find oily goo in the intake, thats another quirk of the oil cooled heads having emissions, venting into the intake.  

The swollen gas tank is status quo for the xr1200, and harley has no fix.  If this bike is out of warranty, you either live with it, or buy new tanks every year.  At least until harley runs out of replacement tanks.

Also understand that the xr1200X is a basard child, even among harley.  Back when it was still in production, finding parts in stock at a dealer was rare, and this is several dealers in the milwaukee area.

How many miles on it? 2011 or 2012?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think you're in the wrong. If you want to have someone knowledgeable look at an expensive bike (reasonable) you should bring that person with you when you go to the owner's place (reasonable) and not go elsewhere with it (unreasonable).

In all the vehicles I've sold and bought privately, I've never been asked to agree to that. I've had people show up with mechanics. This does not bother me. Apparently, I'm odd, because I already told the potential buyer about whatever the mechanic is going to find.

I have shown up with people who were more knowledgeable than me and seen it put off the seller. No sale. The seller might be weird, might be hiding something. I'd rather not find out.

Your best bet is to bring a friend with you who know what you're buying. An experienced rider probably knows the bike and definitely knows what shows when the bike was mistreated or otherwise damaged. Google is your best friend. Somewhere on a message board, somebody bitched about every single thing on that bike. Next look at the modifications. Just because somebody modified it does not mean they modified it correctly. Putting dirt bike tires on your Harley would be pretty obvious, but you want to understand what the guy is talking about if he starts rattling off technical terms and aftermarket stuff. Make a list of popular mods if you want. Be a dick. It's your money.

If you can wait, wait. There's always another bike. They're mass produced.

Since you want a Harley, go to a Harley store. Look at the accessories they sell. Look at the stuff on the used bikes. Go during the day on a weekday and just talk to the staff. Tell them what you're doing and see if they'll help you learn a little bit. The worst thing they can say is, "No," and they won't say it because if you buy a used one now, you'll probably come back and buy some high profit margin stuff, and eventually another bike, later.

Here's my list of basic stuff you should look at when you want to buy a bike: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1611773_Looking_to_buy_a_motorcycle.html&page=2#i46700397
View Quote
Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Offer him 1/2 price for taking on the risk of there being something wrong.
View Quote

Only solid advice I have seen in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of In this thread.  If I was the seller I wouldn't take it for an inspection either unless you're talking about the state emissions/safety inspections.

It's easy enough to check over the bike yourself. If you don't know much about bikes bring someone who does.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#21]
People normally bring a mechanic with them........Or know what they are looking for.

I would have said the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#22]
The red flag for me would be a wanna be buyer asking me to drive it to a stealership and wait all day for a dumb "inspection".

Bring someone with you to look at it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#23]
its already been said, but I would'nt do it either. Bring your expert with you!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
its already been said, but I would'nt do it either. Bring your expert with you!

View Quote

Yep.

I'd be more worried if he didn't let you take it down the road a piece. You assume the risk via the inspection sticker, but if you can't run it through the gears, what do you really know?

Ya know?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Wheels. Tires. Fork. Shock. Engine. Whatever bodywork.

If you don't know what to look for when it's sitting right there in front of you, then You need to bring someone with you. I have never asked anyone to drag a bike to a mechanic to inspect it, I know what I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]
If you are not knowledgeable about motorcycles to make the decision yourself, ask one of the mechanics if he'd tag along with you and toss him like $150 to give it a good once over.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I've completely rebuilt one of those from the engine  up , and there's not much to go wrong with those. Check for signs of leaks,cases, or where the head meets the cylinder, but  you'll always see oily dust in some places, so don't be too worried. Listen to how fast it turns over while trying to start it, it should turn over pretty fast if your battery is healthy. Feel that's it's cold when you get there, and see how much crap he has to go threw starting it, and having it idle nicely. Shouldn't be maybe one stall max.. If everything seems fit so far, just check out the obvious stuff,feel the brakes pedal,levers get hard,lights work,etc..If it idles good, revs good, it's probably good. Bottom line, if he has to fart around to get it running, and stay running , walk away. First thing not right on a Harley, she won't stay running. Multi cyl Jap bikes can usually hide problems, lagging cylinders, out of sync carbs.,plug pilot jets ,bad plugs.etc..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
walk

This

walk.

Those bikes are everywhere
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those bikes are everywhere
View Quote

Your craigslist must have them all, since between cycletrader and ebay, there are only 4 for sale nationwide.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
What do you think this is.. Burger King? Like I would let some greasy stealership touch one of my vehicles in their 'inspections" You bring your little mechanic with you upon looking over my bike.

The only thing shady is your business practices.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Simply put, this right here.. ^^^

No way I'd waste my time bringing it to a mechanic for you. You bring the mechanic/knowledgeable person  with you when looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top