Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:04:12 PM EDT
Patient is a 98 honda civic.  My son's

He didn't put coolant in it instead put in water and we had some freezing weather.

Those bolt holes hold on the thermostat housing to the water pipe.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming that the part that is cracked is part of the cylinder head....in which case he's probably screwed.  Do you have the part the broke off?  If you do you might me able to JB Weld it back on if not you might just have to glob on quick steel putty, then drill hole and use heli coil to make threads....it's going to be a mickey mouse repair.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope it's the block that those holes are part of.

I'm considering mickey mouse repair right now. No good options are coming to mind I'm afraid
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe something like this

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
rather than try to fix that, can you not clamp the housing on to that pipe some how?
it appears to be an o-ring seal only anyway. don't know what the other side of that pipe looks like, but it seems like you could adapt something to hold the housing on to it instead for the time being.
just enough to get the motor running to see if something else further inside broke anyway.

the next thing would be to make a plate to bolt to the remaining hole so you could off set bolt the housing to that plate instead of the missing ear.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
before you put money in that make sure that's the only damage.  cylinder walls are OK.  frost plugs are tight.  water pump is OK.   cylinder head is OK
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Weld it. I had a Nissan 200SX that I bought as a wreck. The front of the cylinder head was shattered. Had a local shop weld the pieces back together. Drove that car for 10 yrs after that
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
That IS a crack extending from that broken bolt hole boss isn't it? What's that bolt hole part of? The block or the head?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That IS a crack extending from that broken bolt hole boss isn't it? What's that bolt hole part of? The block or the head?
View Quote

Pretty sure it's just a casting flash and not a crack.

It's the block not the head. If it was the head I'd toss another on there and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
JB Weld can work miracles.  What do you have to lose?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#10]
What about using one of those aluminum repair sticks I've seen sold at gun shows? Fill it all in and drill and tap.

ETA:

http://www.durafix.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top