Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 6:44:36 PM EDT
As title states and why. Taco would be in the Off Road package. Both have rear lockers. Nissan frontier seems to offer more for the money but taco has better/stronger rep I believe.  I will likely keep it mainly stock. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the same conclusion my parents came up with when they bought their frontier in 2010. They are virtually the same truck. They have pluses and minuses in different areas with a good bit of overlap. The gas milage on both of them isn't great, virtually the same as a 1/2 ton with less room and capacities.

Drive both, go with your gut. If you are staying stock the frontier gives you more for your dollar. If you start modding then the taco has the edge with more aftermarket support.  And by mod I mean really mod for heavy trail use. I'm not talking about more than just simple suspension lifts.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I drove both and bought the Tacoma.  Nissan felt cheaper and the dealer was very pushy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The Nissan is cheaper, and the dealers are more willing to haggle because the Tacoma is in demand just because it's a Tacoma (and the Toyota dealers know that.) Nissan also offers factory incentives often.

It's my understanding that the Tacoma and Colorado are getting updated for 2015, and I don't know about the Frontier, but if the past has anything to say about the Frontier, they love to lower pricing when other trucks get updated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Frontier PRO4X ftw.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
After 9 years and 150K miles on my Tacoma, I had to do 1 repair and that was a driver side wheel bearing. All other maintenance was consumables like breaks and shocks. I would buy another Tacoma in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Tacoma's the nicer vehicle.

The Nissan is cheaper.

Looking at either, you really should look at a full-sized truck. The 'small' trucks have gotten so big and expensive that they aren't 'small and cheap' anymore. (Don't compare, BTW, size-to-size. The backseat of an extended cab full-sized truck is likely bigger than the 'quad cab' compacts. A full-sized Quad cab is a f'ing Limo)
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Nissan is cheaper.

Looking at either, you really should look at a full-sized truck. The 'small' trucks have gotten so big and expensive that they aren't 'small and cheap' anymore. (Don't compare, BTW, size-to-size. The backseat of an extended cab full-sized truck is likely bigger than the 'quad cab' compacts. A full-sized Quad cab is a f'ing Limo)
View Quote

To elaborate on my last comment:

-A Tacoma, Double Cab, TRD Off-Road package - $34k
-A Chevy Silverado, Double Cab, Z71 off-road package* - $34k (This is the 'Truck Month price', MSRP is higher, but that's what the Chevy website is showing now)

Anyway, they're price-competitive, not as huge a size difference as you might think, get about the same MPG's... I don't see how you can buy a 'midsize' today and not at least look at a full-sized.

*-I picked the lower of the 2 Z71 packages, because the higher one has stuff like Leather, etc, that isn't even offered on the Taco.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I gave in and got an F150, myself.  Today's "small" trucks are no longer small.  They'd be better classified as mid-sized.  The current gen Tacoma is damnear the size of the first gen Tundra.

Between the Tacoma and Frontier, I'd say 2001-2004 goes to the Tacoma.  2005+ goes to the Frontier.  Just my opinion based on having Toyotas and Nissans in both year ranges.

I had a 2001 Tacoma Xtra cab TRD 4wd I loved.  Got totalled with 115k on the odo, and I'm pissed and bitter about it to this day.  Got a 2011 Tacoma SR5 Quad cab 4wd to replace it, and it just wasn't the same.  It was bigger yet didn't seem to have much more interior space.  Had a weak rear suspension I had to have upgraded through a TSB.  AC fan chirped, and the TSB just calls for a replacement of the same design.  Stereo was weak.  AC was weak.  Driveline is very sensitive to any modification in height.  Two-piece driveshaft is a pain when chasing vibes.  The motor and power was okay.  But I wasn't happy overall and ended up trading the truck after a few months and about 7000 miles.  

Got into a Pro4x Xterra and was much happier.  The Xterra is basically an SUV version of the Frontier.  Chassis and drivetrain is near identical, and interior is the same, for the most part.  I think the Frontier is what the Tacoma used to be.  The current gen Tacoma is just riding on the company's reputation.  

The one bad thing I have to say about the Nissan is the 4.0 V6 is a gas hog, getting only about 15mpg.

Ultimately, I wanted to get back into a pickup, hence, the F150.  I'm actually on my 2nd F150 in 5 months due to a clerical error resulting in title issues with the first.  First was a 2013 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT with 3.55 locking differential.  Current is a 2014 SuperCab with the same options.  Either one is priced lower than what you'd probably pay for a Quad Cab 4x4 TRD Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Nissan is cheaper.

View Quote

QFT.

I was in the market for a small truck, but when I saw how small their beds were I decided to go full sized. I'm not regretting it one bit. Sure the gas mileage sucks, but I didn't buy the truck for it's economy, but to haul stuff in. I couldn't do that with a "small" truck. Oh, BTW, the tailgates of the tacos are made of left over beer cans. They are VERY fragile. Ask me how I know......
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Same song and dance as the dudes above. Die hard Toyota guy and was set on a tacoma when it was time to retire the Land Cruiser. Went and test drove a couple and felt very underwhelmed. Ended up going with an F150. Gas mileage is just as good and I have tons of space. Also has a manually locking rear differential. Was tempted by the Tundra, but they get horrid mileage. Decide if you really want to pay the same amount of money for a much less capable and comfortable truck (assuming you aren't planning on using it on a lot of tight trails).

That said, I'd still like to have a 4 cylinder, manual transmission, single cab Tacoma for beating on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wellllll......looks like i am looking at f150s now!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good choice for the same price as a tacoma none the less I bet out the door
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Frontier gets a Cummins in 2015, as does the Titan.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check out Fairway Ford in OH. I bought my leftover 2013 FX4 supercab there a bit over a week ago. No one else could touch their prices. They have a leftover 2013 XLT SuperCab there now for $30.4k (30% off MSRP). Standard XL cabs are $20.6k.

There's no real differences between a 2014 and 2013 besides some small cosmetic (color, etc) changes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The diesel Frontier was a concept vehicle to "test" to see if the public wanted a diesel in a truck that size - it's not official yet. (and I suggest that you send them an e-mail to say that you're interested. I did.)

Also, I'm almost offended that Nissan is using Cummins engines in their trucks. It's nothing but a marketing ploy to assume that Americans are ignorant and the people that would like a diesel truck are the "Cummins? Give the truck stacks!" crowd. All that they're interested in is the name recognition; Nissan has plenty of diesel engines that they've developed, and I'm not falling for it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The diesel Frontier was a concept vehicle to "test" to see if the public wanted a diesel in a truck that size - it's not official yet. (and I suggest that you send them an e-mail to say that you're interested. I did.)

Also, I'm almost offended that Nissan is using Cummins engines in their trucks. It's nothing but a marketing ploy to assume that Americans are ignorant and the people that would like a diesel truck are the "Cummins? Give the truck stacks!" crowd. All that they're interested in is the name recognition; Nissan has plenty of diesel engines that they've developed, and I'm not falling for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outsourcing the engine to Cummins means Nissan doesn't have to spend tons of money and time reworking one of their global diesels to meet US emissions standards.  That's important for a low volume, niche product.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Test drove both.

Went with the Tacoma. The Frontier felt cheap and the dealership was pushy as hell. I still get calls from them 4 months later.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the same choice but I was looking at the 4Runner and the Xterra. Went with the Toyota for pretty much the same reasons mentioned already. The Nissan just didn't feel the same quality as the Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I went with the Tacoma over the others mentioned here too, wait for it to be delivered. I didn't like driving a full size truck unless its a single cab and that doesn't work for me.

To clarify I did not look at any suv very close, thought the 4runner was very nice but out of my price range.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Outsourcing the engine to Cummins means Nissan doesn't have to spend tons of money and time reworking one of their global diesels to meet US emissions standards.  That's important for a low volume, niche product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nissan picked up the 5.0 V8 Cummins after it was dropped by Ram.  Also the former CEO for Ram trucks is now working for Nissan.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Do not get an 05 to 11 TRD with the 6 speed.

Toyota actually screwed up a manual transmission
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top