Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 8:12:27 AM EDT
I've got a 2004 Explorer with AWD.  Stock tire size is 245/65-17, optional size is 265/60-17.  I've got a line on a set of tires that were pulled off a brand new truck with less than 50 miles on them.  The catch is they are 245/75-17.  According to the tire size calculator here, these tires would be an additional 2" in diameter, and about 6" additional circumference.  Besides the speedometer being off by about 5%, is there any drawbacks to using tires this size on a stock explorer?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your inner fender clearance at full lock.  Depending on the suspension height, the bigger tires might rub on one (or both) of the inner fenders.  This is the usual problem with cars, but probably won't be in issue with a truck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Your gas mileage will go down and performance will decrease.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
When the anti lock brakes no longer work right  you will know
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

ABS does not care about tire diameter, only that they are the same.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Never had ABS stop working due to tire size...  If it's waaaaaaaaay bigger than stock it might complain because the speedo is way off, but beyond that it should function.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't make that big of a jump.  Much power loss.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the imput.  It looks like a great deal, about half of retail.  I'll just keep my eyes open for others that are closer to the right size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top