Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 5:15:16 PM EDT
Trying to diagnose a 2008 Expedition with a 5.4 in it. It's the mother in laws car and she says during acceleration (mostly between 40-45 mph) it stutters/jerks. I've been in the car when it happens. Definately feels like it's engine related and misfiring. I've scanned it for codes with autoenginuity and came up with nothing. I've read everything from coil packs to a clogged EGR valve could be the problem. Any ford guys familiar with this issue? The vehicle has not had those PITA plugs replaced as far as I know.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How many miles? I had a 99 expedition exhibit similar symptoms. Ended up being a bad wire. Had around 90k on it at the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wires or plugs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar problem with a 85 Tbird I had and my current 91 S10.  Turned out to be a cracked insulator on a spark plug with the Tbird and a clogged fuel filter on the S10.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've replaced 3 coils on my 2007 over the years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine bucked and jerked almost  like transmission.(mostly at 40-45mph)  Finally a code set.
Misfire on a cylinder, replace that cylinder coil.
All good till next time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I told her it was most likely a coil. It has around 80k miles. Forgot to look today when I checked it out. Any way to tell which cylinder coil? There are no codes. Buy one and replace until it stops?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem on my expedition.  It was a cracked intake line.

I would check the intake lines first.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I would change wires and plugs but I bet its a coil pack.

Ford still having issues with those I see.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
COPS for sure. Replace the lot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wires or plugs.
View Quote

They are Coil over you need to replace one if them. I had the same problem. You can just replace the one that is going bad or all 8. But they are around $110 each. I had the same problem twice both times I just replaced one no issues for a couple of years now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there a code that tells you which coil is bad?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
DTC P0308 (number 8 cyl. misfire) is what I got when COP on 8 was bad. P0301 for 1,  P030X where X is the cylinder in question.

Might have to run the code reader/better OBD tool that can record data while it happens.

Might be worth paying a good local indie mechanic a diagnostic fee if nothing shows up, don't want her to be stranded if its and easy fix.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
DTC P0308 (number 8 cyl. misfire) is what I got when COP on 8 was bad. P0301 for 1,  P030X where X is the cylinder in question.

Might have to run the code reader/better OBD tool that can record data while it happens.

Might be worth paying a good local indie mechanic a diagnostic fee if nothing shows up, don't want her to be stranded if its and easy fix.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm actually a diesel tech. I don't deal with gas at all. Never really have. We use autoenginuity at our shop to read codes. It's able to read active data. But there's no codes and never have been any related to this.
I'm just not familiar with these newer gas engines so I was wondering what the guys more familiar with these thought.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are Coil over you need to replace one if them. I had the same problem. You can just replace the one that is going bad or all 8. But they are around $110 each. I had the same problem twice both times I just replaced one no issues for a couple of years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wires or plugs.

I can get them for $17 each. It's nice working for a shop. It's amazing what the suggested markup is on auto parts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Most likely a COP.  Could be a spark plug.  Until it throws a code it's a guessing game for the affected cylinder.

IMO, if you're going to do the COPs just do them all and be done with them.  It's not fun working on #3, #4, and #8 (especially on an Expy with rear air) so if you can just get them all out it's for the best.  Along with that you're 50% of way to having the spark plugs done so you might was well replace them.  Only use motorcraft plugs.

Another common failure point is the 90 degree elbow on the back of the intake that can break down and cause a vacuum leak.  That has more of an affect of a wandering idle though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Coil boots will cause similar issues especially if it gets worse when engine is wet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]
If not a COP then I would check catalytic converters.  Ford has a ongoing warranty on the cats they installed on 2008 f150's that probably transfers over to the expeditions as well, worth checking out.  Mine went bad right at 37k miles, symptoms were similar to a bad COP.  Ford replaced the cats/y pipe for free.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
We have an 06 f250 here at work had the same symptoms. Sent it in they replaced several of the coils. Symptoms came back but were worse truck would run like crap one minute then on restart it would run fine.
it got to the point the truck wouldnt run over 30mph and ran very rough..
ended up replacing the fuel pump..so far it is running good..
so you may want to have the fuel pump checked out while your at it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Use mode6, tid53 cid1 through cid8 for misfire data.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

We have an 06 f250 here at work had the same symptoms. Sent it in they replaced several of the coils. Symptoms came back but were worse truck would run like crap one minute then on restart it would run fine.

it got to the point the truck wouldnt run over 30mph and ran very rough..

ended up replacing the fuel pump..so far it is running good..

so you may want to have the fuel pump checked out while your at it.
View Quote

That is what I was thinking too. Run the fuel tank down, or don't refill it, before going with this course of action.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Use mode6, tid53 cid1 through cid8 for misfire data.
View Quote

This.

Mode6 usually available on higher-end scan tools.

Look at all cylinders and replace COPs on all cylinders that have more than an incidental # of misfires.

Ford sets the threshold of misfire to spark pretty high, so you can have a situation where you get mis-fire under load, but not enough consistently to set the DTC to indicate which cylinder. Even still, I've had a situation with a personal vehicle where the DTC indicated bad COP on one cylinder but in reality, another COP on another cylinder was mis-firing enough to cause an issue but not enough to set the DTC for that cylinder.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

2008 3Vs have different cylinder heads with conventional style plugs in them.

How many miles are on it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to diagnose a 2008 Expedition with a 5.4 in it. It's the mother in laws car and she says during acceleration (mostly between 40-45 mph) it stutters/jerks. I've been in the car when it happens. Definately feels like it's engine related and misfiring. I've scanned it for codes with autoenginuity and came up with nothing. I've read everything from coil packs to a clogged EGR valve could be the problem. Any ford guys familiar with this issue? The vehicle has not had those PITA plugs replaced as far as I know.

My parts program is showing those weird Motorcraft plugs that like to get stuck. If they aren't that makes it way easier on me. Has around 90k miles. FIL gave me the go ahead for plugs. Maybe that will solve the issue and I make myself look good. I just never deal with gas. Ever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wires or plugs.
View Quote

They are called coil packs.
A 25 dollar scan tool will tell you which ones are misfirinb.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wires or plugs.
View Quote

That's always the first thing I'd do for that symptom.

Although, on a 5.4, I think I'd rather sell it than change the plugs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:10:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told 2008 is a mix year. Some are the oddball plugs and some the conventional. Only way to tell is to pull the coil pack and look.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wires or plugs.

On the very far-off chance this might help someone, let me offer this.

It was difficult to reach the rear spark plugs on my Explorer.  The easy way to do it, "the trick", is to turn the wheel to the opposite side, loosen the wheel well liner (a few screws).  The plastic liner can then be pulled to the side and access to the offending plugs (from below) is as easy as you could hope for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, If the truck has the newer plugs that get stuck and break, don't attempt them without having the broken spark plug removal tool on hand before you start. I can't count how many of these I did and almost every vehicle breaks at least one. The tool makes the removal very easy if it does break but you better be prepared as you will most likely need it. As for the misfire, coils are more likely than plugs  to cause the problem but a new set of plugs at 80-90K never hurts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

OP, If the truck has the newer plugs that get stuck and break, don't attempt them without having the broken spark plug removal tool on hand before you start. I can't count how many of these I did and almost every vehicle breaks at least one. The tool makes the removal very easy if it does break but you better be prepared as you will most likely need it. As for the misfire, coils are more likely than plugs  to cause the problem but a new set of plugs at 80-90K never hurts.
View Quote
Listen to this advice! Leave the plugs alone for now. Scan it and see what code it gives. It is more than likely a coil pack. If the code it is giving is for a coil pack pull the pack and check to boot for cracks, blow the hole out with some air and if the boot isnt cracked try putting some dielectric grease all over the boot and put it back together. I have had to do this a few times on my 240K mile 5.4 and have yet to have actually replace a coil pack.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#30]
We had a 99 that did that. It actually had plug wires. Turned out to be a bad wire.

Our 05 Exped started doing the exact same thing. For those who don't know they dont have plug wires...so its not the wires. Anyway we talked to several shops/dealerships and found one that had a pretty good track record with replacing the crazy plugs. They managed to change them all without breaking any and that fixed the problem. It had over 100k on it when we started having the issues though. We did not have to replace any COPS. If you decide to do it look up some of the procedures for it and definitely have the extraction tool anyway. Some people have success with spraying some sort of penetrating lube/kroil type stuff down around the plug and letting it sit for a day prior to attempting the replacement.
FWIW it was right at $500 for the replacement which includes the plugs. I think they are like $20/ea but cant remember.  After changing the plugs in the 99 myself I call it money well spent. And at least I'm good for another 100k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top