Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 6:36:05 PM EDT
I fear I am getting the vette itch approaching middle age.  Any owners here that want to share some downsides to ownership?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Inappropriate...
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What i hate about late model vets is the caviler interior, so plane and boring.  i still want a Z06 though

I also rebuilt a 1976 stingray and learned to loath 70's engineering
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What i hate about late model vets is the caviler interior, so plane and boring.  i still want a Z06 though

I also rebuilt a 1976 stingray and learned to loath 70's engineering
View Quote

Any pics of the build?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 2012 Grand Sport a little over a year and half ago after I got divorced.  No regrets at all.  I grew up on Vettes, so I always wanted one.

I absolutely love it.  It's fun to drive and looks badass.  And unlike a lot of people, I've never had a issue with the interior and I like the all analog gauges.

Insurance isn't that bad and it gets pretty good gas mileage for what it is.   The only downside that I can think of at the moment is tires.  They are pretty expensive and aren't supposed to last more than 10k.  But, you know that going into it, so it's no real shock.

And even though, the new one is probably better in almost all aspects, I prefer the C6 design.  So no regrets on not waiting for a new one.  I wouldn't trade mine if I was offered a new one.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a C6 Targa coupe, MN6.

I had a C6 Z06.

Both cars were/are fantastic.  I sold the Z06 to reduce my monthly nut, and bought the current car for 1/2 the Z06.

I say do it...mine is a blast even though it "sucks" and is "slow" to all the internet heroes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Tires...you will go through a lot of tires
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a former C6 owner.    No regrets at all.  

They are a good value for the money.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
In my early 30s (2007-2009) I owened a used 2000 C5 coupe and I can tell you this:

DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!!

I had so many electrical fuck ups with that car I ultimately dumped it at Carmax for $500 less than what I owed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to buck the crowd here and suggest that a new Corvette may not be the answer.  As background, I've had a 1996 LT4 corvette since new.  I've also owned a lotus elise, an E46 BMW, and currently drive an Audi S4.  C6 Corvettes are very very fast and nice cars.  I looked at several before I bought the Lotus.  I found that the C6 was just too fast to be fun on the street.  On one test drive I accelerated up an on-ramp (hard, but not full throttle) and was going 120+ at the top of the ramp.  I find it much more fun to drive a slower car fast than to just be puttering around or scaring the shit out of myself in a faster car.

Anyway, I feel like I now understand people who opt for slower, but more "refined" or "interesting" cars.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.  I think the Corvettes are great cars, just awfully fast to be fun on the street.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my early 30s (2007-2009) I owened a used 2000 C5 coupe and I can tell you this:

DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!! DO NOT BUY A C5!!!

I had so many electrical fuck ups with that car I ultimately dumped it at Carmax for $500 less than what I owed.
View Quote
I will have owned my C5 for 10 years next month.  Excellent car with zero electrical  problems.    C5's can be had for less than $20K with relatively low mileage.  C5's are not as hot as the C6s but they are great fun and incredibly reliable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to buy a low miles C5, put a DSC-1 and exhaust on it and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top