Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
New Lexus GX460 or New Land Rover LR4?   3rd Row seats will remain folded down to make room for cargo.  I want Body on Frame and not a Crossover.  I will be purchasing one of them with cash.  I'm not here for a lecture on buying new versus used.  I am not purchasing a used car.  You can suggest other cars but these are the only 2 I am considering.

Go.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Prado/GX460
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
New Lexus GX460 or New Land Rover LR4?   3rd Row seats will remain folded down to make room for cargo.  I want Body on Frame and not a Crossover.  I will be purchasing one of them with cash.  I'm not here for a lecture on buying new versus used.  I am not purchasing a used car.  You can suggest other cars but these are the only 2 I am considering.

Go.
View Quote

Lexus all the way, no contest.

Based off the legendary 4runner and doesn't have the reliability/depreciation issues of the land rover.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Lexus. It's sold as a Land Cruiser Prado in other parts of the world. Great vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I love full size SUVs

My boss has the Lexus. It has a very crude suspension and the fuel economy sucks bad. At best it is on par with a Ford Expedition on most items, except maybe better seats. Thats about it though. Its even a smaller vehicle and the Ford is still probably better overall.

The new 2015 Cadillac Escalade more than likely has the most comfortable and stable ride and possibly the quietest ride of the current full size SUVs. There is no debating the crash worthiness of one either. I understand  there may be other issues to having one of those though. Not sure if the 2015 is even out yet.

I do not think the new 2015 Tahoe/GMC variants have the quite features of the Cadillac. It has an active noise cancellation device.

No info on the Land rover, except the full size ones sure have nice leather.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
LR4 is rumored to be much more reliable than first and second generation Discoveries.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LR4 is rumored to be much more reliable than first and second generation Discoveries.
View Quote

That's what they say every time LR releases a new model. Without fail, 5 years down the road they start shitting out head gaskets and the air suspensions die. Among other things. The Lexus will last much longer than the LR, partly because it doesn't have as much "high tech" crap to break. I've owned one range rover. Never again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's what they say every time LR releases a new model. Without fail, 5 years down the road they start shitting out head gaskets and the air suspensions die. Among other things. The Lexus will last much longer than the LR, partly because it doesn't have as much "high tech" crap to break. I've owned one range rover. Never again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to watch out for the air suspension (if selected) on the lexus. (or any vehicle, really)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 The Lexus all the way. I am a police officer in a city that has an auto mall with Lexus, BMW , Range Rover/ Jaguar and Porshe/ Audi dealerships. I see a steady stream of roll back wreckers with Range Rover/ Land Rovers on the back but rarely a Lexus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking to pick up a new GX460 in the next month or so.

The LR4 has a nicer and more roomy cabin.  It has horrible resale and horrible reliability.  And it's more expensive to begin with.  Option for option, it's way more expensive than the Lexus.

As far as SUV's go, the GX460 is a bargain for what you get, especially with the 2014.  The GL is really the only other vehicle that is comparable, and it's really not all that comparable.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
LR's depreciate more than just about any other vehicle for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I drove both of them today and I would agree the interior of the LR4 is larger and marginally more luxurious.  If the LR4 still had a V8 option I may have liked it more.  The Supercharged V6 is nice and powerful but there is just something I like about a good old V8.  I am not looking for a SUV that gets good gas mileage because such a thing doesn't exist.  Some of the crossovers get decent mileage but I want an SUV.

The GX460 has a great interior and is better in every way than a Ford Explorer based on my taste.  The Ford Explorer is just another jellybean-looking crossover.  I am sure they are fine automobiles but I do not like the looks of them.  The Lexus V8, though small, is very smooth, and has plenty of power.  I had a GX470 and things haven't changed much.  The GX470 was dead-nuts reliable.  Regular, planned maintenance is all it ever needed.  I think I've pretty much sold myself on the Lexus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The GX460's are selling like hotcakes around here.  There are a couple of base models in stock and two on their way to the dealership in the next couple of weeks that have the options I prefer.  

Quoted:
I'm looking to pick up a new GX460 in the next month or so.

The LR4 has a nicer and more roomy cabin.  It has horrible resale and horrible reliability.  And it's more expensive to begin with.  Option for option, it's way more expensive than the Lexus.

As far as SUV's go, the GX460 is a bargain for what you get, especially with the 2014.  The GL is really the only other vehicle that is comparable, and it's really not all that comparable.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
You are correct.  I looked at the trade in values for 2013 LR4's earlier today ... WOW!  My decision is made.  It will be the Lexus.

Quoted:
LR's depreciate more than just about any other vehicle for a reason.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info.  Are there any known issues with the air suspension on the Lexus?  I know over time the air bags deteriorate and need to be replaced.  I hadn't heard of any large scale issues.  Would be curious to know if you have any info on that.

Quoted:

Have to watch out for the air suspension (if selected) on the lexus. (or any vehicle, really)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Like I said I'm not considering any other vehicles.  I will never own another Ford, or GM built vehicle for the rest of my life.  I have owned several of each over the years and the problem is not with the vehicles as much as it is with the dealerships.  They suck at knowing the vehicles and fixing them.  They also suck at customer service.  I have owned 2 Lexus's from different dealerships.  Both dealerships were excellent.  I also owned a couple of BMW's and they are no better than the Ford/GM Dealerships.  

Quoted:
I love full size SUVs

My boss has the Lexus. It has a very crude suspension and the fuel economy sucks bad. At best it is on par with a Ford Expedition on most items, except maybe better seats. Thats about it though. Its even a smaller vehicle and the Ford is still probably better overall.

The new 2015 Cadillac Escalade more than likely has the most comfortable and stable ride and possibly the quietest ride of the current full size SUVs. There is no debating the crash worthiness of one either. I understand  there may be other issues to having one of those though. Not sure if the 2015 is even out yet.

I do not think the new 2015 Tahoe/GMC variants have the quite features of the Cadillac. It has an active noise cancellation device.

No info on the Land rover, except the full size ones sure have nice leather.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  Are there any known issues with the air suspension on the Lexus?  I know over time the air bags deteriorate and need to be replaced.  I hadn't heard of any large scale issues.  Would be curious to know if you have any info on that.
View Quote

Air suspension on every vehicle will eventually become a problem, the bags or lines will eventually leak, somewhere. I think the rear air suspension is an option on the GX, and if planning to keep it for the long haul, probably an option to skip. You can easily add some aftermarket airbags that go inside of the rear coils to give you ride height adjustability for towing/hauling, and not rely on them as your only spring.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Air suspension on every vehicle will eventually become a problem, the bags or lines will eventually leak, somewhere. I think the rear air suspension is an option on the GX, and if planning to keep it for the long haul, probably an option to skip. You can easily add some aftermarket airbags that go inside of the rear coils to give you ride height adjustability for towing/hauling, and not rely on them as your only spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The system on the post-96 Ford Expeditions is one of the most reliable air suspensions I've seen yet. Rover's…every 50k miles the change engine light comes on and unlike a domestic vehicle it's serious about the change engine part.

I'd go with the Lexus if I were picking from one of the given options. What I'd really go after is either a) Durahoe, b) Duraburb, c) C/K series Suburban (actually working on putting a B-series Cummins in one). I like full-sized SUV's like my pickups…burning diesel. Though I'm not to fond of the new GM burbs and hoes…reminds me too much of my grandmother's Expedition.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could go full sized SUV because I'd be looking at a Lexus LX instead of the GX.  Unfortunately, I have limited garage space.  I need room to keep the bike behind the SUV.  I know ... first world problems and all.  

Quoted:

The system on the post-96 Ford Expeditions is one of the most reliable air suspensions I've seen yet. Rover's…every 50k miles the change engine light comes on and unlike a domestic vehicle it's serious about the change engine part.

I'd go with the Lexus if I were picking from one of the given options. What I'd really go after is either a) Durahoe, b) Duraburb, c) C/K series Suburban (actually working on putting a B-series Cummins in one). I like full-sized SUV's like my pickups…burning diesel. Though I'm not to fond of the new GM burbs and hoes…reminds me too much of my grandmother's Expedition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish I could go full sized SUV because I'd be looking at a Lexus LX instead of the GX.  Unfortunately, I have limited garage space.  I need room to keep the bike behind the SUV.  I know ... first world problems and all.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a Jeep Cherokee (I was raised in a Jeep Cherokee…only fitting I keep an XJ around) and a Chevy Trailblazer EXT. I used to have nothing but full-sized pickups…I'm slowly getting the stuff to build a nice little expedition rig K2500 Suburban to replace the Trailblazer. I really miss full sized vehicles. Then again, what is a garage?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't go land rover unless you plan on leasing it and returning it after the lease, and not ever buying it.

Otherwise, go toyota.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love full size SUVs

View Quote

I missed this gem.  Are you comparing a 1990's Lexus with a new Expedition, or a new GX to a new Expedition?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I assumed he had to be trolling but maybe he was serious.

Quoted:

I missed this gem.  Are you comparing a 1990's Lexus with a new Expedition, or a new GX to a new Expedition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love full size SUVs

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I find the brakes on the lexus thingies to be incredibly sensitive.  To the point of being undrivable to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah... Go Lexus.

I'd suggest checking out the 4Runner, Sequoia, or even the Land Cruiser, but the cost on those are all right up there with the Lexus.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I know what you mean.  I test drove the 4Runner and it was a very nice vehicle.  The thing that killed it for me was the V6.  Don't get me wrong the V6 is reliable, capable and has ample power but you have to really wring it out to get it moving.  That is not the type of engine that I prefer.  If only they offered the 4.6 V8 in the 4Runner I'd be on that in a heartbeat.  The Sequoia is too big for my garage.  The Land Cruiser is awesome but way too much $$$ (starts at $80,000).  

Quoted:
Yeah... Go Lexus.

I'd suggest checking out the 4Runner, Sequoia, or even the Land Cruiser, but the cost on those are all right up there with the Lexus.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Based off the legendary 4runner and doesn't have the reliability/depreciation issues of the land rover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go.

Correction. I believe it's based off the legendary Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Not recommending it for your purchase, but -- at least -- test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not recommending it for your purchase, but -- at least -- test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
View Quote

I have, well the wife now has a 2013 GC.  The GX and GC are so far apart in terms of quality it's not even funny.  However, the price difference is a selling point for the GC.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying that there is anything specifically wrong with the gx460 air suspension, just that it will be more problematic/expensive to fix than the standard suspension option.

Quoted:

Correction. I believe it's based off the legendary Land Cruiser.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/93214-5th-gen-chassis-platform.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Which is based on the Toyota land cruiser Prado.  Moot point, they all share the same platform.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Which is based on the Toyota land cruiser Prado.  Moot point, they all share the same platform.
View Quote

Land Cruiser Prado isn't a real land cruiser.

The 200 series (J200) is.  Which is based on a different platform.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by real you mean that it has only been a land cruiser since the early 80's and has only had 4 generational platforms, I guess you are right.  It's like it never existed compared to the full size land cruiser.

If you simply mean to say that the Prado isn't the full size land cruiser, but rather the mid size land cruiser, that's fair.  I think we are for the most part well aware of that.

The 4runner only started to share its platform with the land cruiser Prado on its 3rd generation, in the mid 90's.  Therefor, to say that something is based on the 4runner is not true when it is based on a platform that outdated the 4runner.  But they do share platforms now, so again, moot point.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Tahoe
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If by real you mean that it has only been a land cruiser since the early 80's and has only had 4 generational platforms, I guess you are right.  It's like it never existed compared to the full size land cruiser.

If you simply mean to say that the Prado isn't the full size land cruiser, but rather the mid size land cruiser, that's fair.  I think we are for the most part well aware of that.

The 4runner only started to share its platform with the land cruiser Prado on its 3rd generation, in the mid 90's.  Therefor, to say that something is based on the 4runner is not true when it is based on a platform that outdated the 4runner.  But they do share platforms now, so again, moot point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Tah-no.  

Quoted:
Tahoe
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#37]
OP I purchased a new 2012 GX460 from McGrath. I drove it for 25,000 miles. I never had any issues with it. I used it to tow my kids dirt bikes/trailer. I believe it was rated to tow 6000lbs. Since you are from Illinois as well, you will note this last winter caused zero issues getting around the burbs. In my neighborhood I see many new Land Rovers/Range Rovers. I NEVER see folks trading them in for another Range Rover/Land Rover.

The GX was my fourth Lexus truck. I have never had any issues with them (all prior were the LX series).
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#38]
We love our 4Runner so I say go with the GX460.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just can't pull myself to like anything Jeep has put out here the last decade.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks, everyone.  Spent some time at the Lexus Dealer today and he located a GX with my preferred options.  The ship Aegean Leader just dropped it off in Portland about a week ago and it was headed to another dealer but he was able to make a trade or whatever they do and it will now arrive here in a week or so on the truck with the rest of their allocated shipment.  

Pretty excited!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Took delivery of a brand new 2014 GX460.  Only put 100 miles on it so far but it is for lack of a better word, "awesome," so far.  This thing is solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top