Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2014 5:21:53 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a nice Cayman S or a Turbo Cabriolet starting next year if all goes according to plan.  I may even go for a Boxster S simply because it sticks closest to the classic roadster formula.

I'm an avid motorcyclist and autoX guy - have been for years.

Please tell me about your Porsche and what you do with it for fun?  Do you belong to any Porsche clubs? Do you go on trips or race it?  I'd like to know all about the Porsche owner experience.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 944 Turbo S.  It's got some light power mods (3" header back exhaust, chip, some minor head work) and I'd guess it puts down somewhere in the neighborhood of 300HP at the wheels.

Damn that car is fun.  I don't do any real racing in it, just drive it around on the street.  Some of the snobbier Porsche guys will say it's just a VW, but the fact remains that it was designed by the same man that penned the Carrera GT, and was one of the fastest non-supercars to come out of the 80's.  Out of the box it would do 0-60 in the mid 5's, 1/4 mile in the 13's, and it would beat a 911 turbo of the same year around Willow Springs by 2 seconds.

All I can say as an owner is, if you want a Porsche, get one.  They're truly world class sports cars, and nothing else will satisfy the itch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The M96 engines are the worst engine Porsche has ever built.

Factory Porsche Master Tech, no longer own one. Had at least one of every regular production model from 356 to 993.

But I'm cranky today.

View Quote

Sooo... Normal?

I like most of them that I have driven, but the later models don't quite blow my skirt up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a nice Cayman S or a Turbo Cabriolet starting next year if all goes according to plan.  I may even go for a Boxster S simply because it sticks closest to the classic roadster formula.

I'm an avid motorcyclist and autoX guy - have been for years.

Please tell me about your Porsche and what you do with it for fun?  Do you belong to any Porsche clubs? Do you go on trips or race it?  I'd like to know all about the Porsche owner experience.

Thanks
View Quote

I used to have a 944 turbo.  Great car, I bought for 7k, drove it for 10 years and 100k miles.  Something in the engine let go at 224k and I sold the car for 1.5k.  I bought the car sight unseen.  Toiyabe looked it over and said "buy it" so I did.  The only bad thing about my old 944 was hatch rattle and it didn't sound as good as his 928 that killed a squirrel with it's sound.  I will let him explain the squirrel story.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Big difference between the models you have listed… None of them even play that same game other than the Cayman and Boxster. You need to some research and test drive some things to see if you want mid engine or rear engine. Let alone the price difference between a Turbo and something comparable.

I've had a 986 Boxster S, 996 Carrera S, and now have a 997.2 Carrera 4S. I agree with Toiyabe, steer clear of the M96 engine. It isn't worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are considering buying a Porsche, I highly consider doing their 2 day performance driving school before you pick which model you want. Just got back from it yesterday and am still amazed by the experience.

It's TONS of fun, will help you decide which car and options you'll want, and will make you a better driver.

You get to drive brand new 911S, Panameras,  Caymans, Boxsters, Cayenne, and even a Turbo S with Launch Control, which is unbelievable what acceleration can feel like. Every car I drove had under 500 miles on it. They were literally fresh off the factory. The track experience with flights of 911s is a blast.

I drive a manual 911 Carrera 4 at home, but found the Cayman S to be the absolute most fun car to drive at the course.

I also discovered I'd rather have PDK than a manual, which surprised me, and sport and sport+ options are worth every penny. You'll also discover that the traction limits and braking capability of those cars are so beyond what you think they are it will amaze you. I was pulling .4G in a turn on the G meter and it felt really close to what I imagined the limit to be, but the instructor said "nah, it'll go over a full G easy," and he gently pulls the steering wheel over some more and behold the car just keeps turning sharper.

The school experience is absolute first rate, and the instructors outstanding in how they teach and adjust the program to fit you.  You'll meet and have a blast with the other drivers and there's a social dinner after the first day.
Seems expensive at close to 4k, but worth every penny and I'd go again for twice the price.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input you guys.  I've got the Porsche itch something horrible!
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Never owned a Porsche, but if I did, I would look into a Cayman S. I'm about driving experience vs. "raw numbers". If you want "Raw numbers", GT-2 is a good place to look, I guess, if you have the wallet for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
huge fan of the 928, thats one of my favorite cars of all time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll own a 944 some day
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
928 S4 (supercharged) owner here and kinda play with these on a day by day basis.  Not to the extreme that Toiy did but I digress.  If you are doing AutoX then get the Cayman, hands down the best handling car Porsche produces (for the money)  If you want to show off your hair or bald spot while looking great, then get the Turbo Cab.  

As to what I do with mine, it's been my daily driver since 2006 and love every minute I get in it.  Granted now that I've popped the SC on it I do spend more time playing with it, but that's exactly what I bought it for.  Used to take it to the road tracks around here but the wear and tear turned me off.  

Whatever you get, try it out before you purchase as there should be plenty of people in the local clubs who will let you get behind the wheel to have a go.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Speaking of which, I just got an 1987 928S4, semi-gifted to me. Long story.

God help me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

928 S4 (supercharged) owner here and kinda play with these on a day by day basis.  Not to the extreme that Toiy did but I digress.  If you are doing AutoX then get the Cayman, hands down the best handling car Porsche produces (for the money)  If you want to show off your hair or bald spot while looking great, then get the Turbo Cab.  

As to what I do with mine, it's been my daily driver since 2006 and love every minute I get in it.  Granted now that I've popped the SC on it I do spend more time playing with it, but that's exactly what I bought it for.  Used to take it to the road tracks around here but the wear and tear turned me off.  

Whatever you get, try it out before you purchase as there should be plenty of people in the local clubs who will let you get behind the wheel to have a go.

Speaking of which, I just got an 1987 928S4, semi-gifted to me. Long story.

God help me.

You are either going to have a blast or beat your head against the wall.  :)  Good luck with it, I'd be nervous of any car "gifted" to me.  Although the '88 I've got sitting out back might end up mine if the owner doesn't pony up real soon.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My brother has an '05 911 Carrera.   It's SWEET.    It's his weekend fun car.   He drives it in some local rallies in central Florida.

I've been in it and it is the most violent launching car I've personally been in.  It kicks harder than his '69 Camaro with the BUILT 302 could manage,

and that car was so bad it was EVIL.
I doubt I'll be able to afford such a luxury toy at any point in the foreseeable future, but I can definitely say that I would enjoy a Porsche like that.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, join PCA.
You'll need your VIN #, so there's justification alone for going out right now and buying a Cayman S.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a gentle man that owns a german repair shop that shoot with our group once in a while.  He drives a 944 with a Corvette V8 in it.  Looks like factory in the engine compartment.   Great sleeper and i bet its surprised some more modern vehicles in the stop light drag race.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]
PLEASE STOP with the pics of the 928s.

You all are not making my life any easier. The wife through a shit fit over a corvette, god help me if I brought up with her a 928.

As a side note, Seanrr you are very close to our shop.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PLEASE STOP with the pics of the 928s.

You all are not making my life any easier. The wife through a shit fit over a corvette, god help me if I brought up with her a 928.

As a side note, Seanrr you are very close to our shop.
View Quote

Compromise and get a 968...
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am jealous of the room you had in that shop.  Once I get two more lifts in I can fit at most 11 cars maybe 13 if I don't have any long vehicles in my shop.
View All Quotes

Did you ever see the old shop?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of 968s there is a bad ass club sport on ebay but no way I would pay more than 25k for it.   That would be actually reasonable and tempting for me.   But with a buy it now for 40+ that is probably closer to what it will fetch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Did you ever see the old shop?
View All Quotes

I worked there for all of three days.  The boss was mean to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#26]
96/97 Turbo or Turbo S there is no finer... or go 87-89 G50 cars.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
No, he meant the one I had before the one you saw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then no.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Then no.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked there for all of three days.  The boss was mean to me.

Then no.  

The "new" old place was much nicer than the "old" old place and about 3 times as big.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had 911's for about 14 years. They are the cheapest, most reliable cars on the road. They are bullet proof and depreciate at a rate far below the average of other cars including "cheap economy cars". I have a preference for the air/oil cooled, older generation. Porsche is as much fun as you can have with your pants on... Below is a couple of pictures of mine:

Old one

Newer one
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice 911 and 993.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have had 911's for about 14 years. They are the cheapest, most reliable cars on the road. They are bullet proof and depreciate at a rate far below the average of other cars including "cheap economy cars". I have a preference for the air/oil cooled, older generation.

Nice 911 and 993.

To address your laughter regarding my "cheap" comment, I guess I should qualify my statement. These cars cost about $1000-$2000 per year to own, not including gas, insurance, tires & brakes. As an example, my old black 911 pictured above cost me $39,000 in 1999. I drove it for 8 years while racking up 50,000 miles and then sold it for $31,000. During that time, I only bought tires, brakes and the regular oil change & routine maintenance. I would find it difficult to believe that there is another vehicle out there that costs so little to own in terms of depreciation & overhead. Obviously, tires, brakes & insurance are more costly than conventional grocery getters but even a Ford, Honda or other "normal" car depreciates faster than $1000/year and requires more parts/repairs over 50,000 miles than this old 911.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

To address your laughter regarding my "cheap" comment, I guess I should qualify my statement. These cars cost about $1000-$2000 per year to own, not including gas, insurance, tires & brakes. As an example, my old black 911 pictured above cost me $39,000 in 1999. I drove it for 8 years while racking up 50,000 miles and then sold it for $31,000. During that time, I only bought tires, brakes and the regular oil change & routine maintenance. I would find it difficult to believe that there is another vehicle out there that costs so little to own in terms of depreciation & overhead. Obviously, tires, brakes & insurance are more costly than conventional grocery getters but even a Ford, Honda or other "normal" car depreciates faster than $1000/year and requires more parts/repairs over 50,000 miles than this old 911.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have had 911's for about 14 years. They are the cheapest, most reliable cars on the road. They are bullet proof and depreciate at a rate far below the average of other cars including "cheap economy cars". I have a preference for the air/oil cooled, older generation.

Nice 911 and 993.

I bought my 951 for 7k, drove it for 10 years and put 96k miles on it.  I sold it after the motor let go at 224k miles for 1500.  (parts came thru the oil pan)  Unless you are counting gas, registration and insurance, I came no were near 1-2k per year, including upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You were lucky, and bought and sold right. If that 993 had one of the myriad endemic problems that required serious work, it wouldn't have been so easy.

I have made money of Porsches I bought, drove, and sold. I've also lost money on ones I bought, drove, and sold. And I owned my own Porsche shop, so I had free labor, and parts at cost.

I would NEVER make a blanket statement about them being cheap to own. I will say that the 911, 930, and 993 (note: not 964) can be great investments if carefully purchased and maintained. But then I can show you tons of pics of a 930 Slantnose sold by a dealer (who shall remain nameless) WITH a PPI by a respected Porsche shop (that shall remain nameless) that needed an engine rebuild less than 500 miles later, because the previous rebuilder had used JB weld on it to repair damage. That only cost about $15k when all was said and done. That's the far end of the scale, admittedly, but if your 993 had needed a clutch and dual-mass flywheel, it wouldn't have been quite so good. Or if the top croaked.

If you want a car that runs forever and is cheap to own, a Porsche is not for you. But they are great cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice 911 and 993.

You were lucky, and bought and sold right. If that 993 had one of the myriad endemic problems that required serious work, it wouldn't have been so easy.

I have made money of Porsches I bought, drove, and sold. I've also lost money on ones I bought, drove, and sold. And I owned my own Porsche shop, so I had free labor, and parts at cost.

I would NEVER make a blanket statement about them being cheap to own. I will say that the 911, 930, and 993 (note: not 964) can be great investments if carefully purchased and maintained. But then I can show you tons of pics of a 930 Slantnose sold by a dealer (who shall remain nameless) WITH a PPI by a respected Porsche shop (that shall remain nameless) that needed an engine rebuild less than 500 miles later, because the previous rebuilder had used JB weld on it to repair damage. That only cost about $15k when all was said and done. That's the far end of the scale, admittedly, but if your 993 had needed a clutch and dual-mass flywheel, it wouldn't have been quite so good. Or if the top croaked.

If you want a car that runs forever and is cheap to own, a Porsche is not for you. But they are great cars.

At least he didn't claim it didn't leak oil.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
We had a 1980 911sc from about 1990 through 2008 when I put it into a tree. It was a daily driver until 1995 and then a spare car after that. It never needed anything more expensive than brakes and tires. I loved that damn car.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been pretty lucky with my p-cars. I've had two 944s and currently have a 951. Knock on wood none of them have given me any real problems, just normal 944 specific things. They are a blast to drive and for someone capable of diy work, not to difficult to keep up. They will, however, make you pull your hair out sometimes.

928s have never done anything for me, perhaps I just haven't driven the right one yet. My father has a Weissach 928, nice driving car but it just isn't as fun as a 951 IMO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

One man's experience with his 991 gen 911.

http://youtu.be/zsp1i73z4Po

TLDW version:

- Backup sensor went out, was replaced

- High-pitched whistling noise caused by the passenger window, never fixed

- Car randomly wouldn't start on first or second try, never fixed

- Battery discharged multiple times, never fixed

- Hitting a bump causes the dash to completely reset, and produces the unique smell of burning electrics, never fixed

Figure he spent at least 130 grand on that car. (Probably more as it has the high end audio system, PDCC, PDK, and other features) He's lemon law-ing the car.
View Quote

Battery is probably bad.  Alternator is suspect.  Loose cable most likely at the battery or where it connect to the body ground.  That would be 80% of his problem.  He hits a bump and the electrical goes away with a smoke smell?  Um.  Clear loose cable shorting.  Surprised there isn't at least a dozen smoked computers by this point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that he's owned the car for 6 months and it has been back to the dealer for problems several times...including a stint of several weeks as they tried to work through the problems.

I've watched all the videos he's done on his 991 and it appears to be a slow-motion failure of the entire electrical system that will sooner or later manifest in a fire. A slow-motion failure that the dealer has been unable to diagnose or solve, and that Porsche NA seems unable/unwilling to really solve. It started as minor annoyances and gets steadily worse in each subsequent video.

This is the concerning bit about new cars, at least to me...an electrical gremlin like this is a bitch on stilts to diagnose and over time typically gets worse and causes massive problems that may never be adequately resolved. There are a few competent pros out there who have the know-how and personal character to work through the problems and get it solved. Most shops just throw parts replacements and shop hours endlessly at the problem without effect until you're ready to string somebody up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Battery is probably bad.  Alternator is suspect.  Loose cable most likely at the battery or where it connect to the body ground.  That would be 80% of his problem.  He hits a bump and the electrical goes away with a smoke smell?  Um.  Clear loose cable shorting.  Surprised there isn't at least a dozen smoked computers by this point.

Keep in mind that he's owned the car for 6 months and it has been back to the dealer for problems several times...including a stint of several weeks as they tried to work through the problems.

I've watched all the videos he's done on his 991 and it appears to be a slow-motion failure of the entire electrical system that will sooner or later manifest in a fire. A slow-motion failure that the dealer has been unable to diagnose or solve, and that Porsche NA seems unable/unwilling to really solve. It started as minor annoyances and gets steadily worse in each subsequent video.

This is the concerning bit about new cars, at least to me...an electrical gremlin like this is a bitch on stilts to diagnose and over time typically gets worse and causes massive problems that may never be adequately resolved. There are a few competent pros out there who have the know-how and personal character to work through the problems and get it solved. Most shops just throw parts replacements and shop hours endlessly at the problem without effect until you're ready to string somebody up.

There are even fewer shops that will pay for that.  Dealer included.  

This is my speech to people with electrical problems.

"There is no book time for figuring out what exactly is going on with this vehicle.  You need to set a dollar amount you are willing to spend up front to figure this out and I will set a stop watch and work through it till we reach your limit.  I am very good at it and will be as efficient as possible so lets both hope I find the issue quickly, but I can not promise that."

And for this problem I bet the dealer wasn't really willing to spend the money on a tech who knew what they were doing and pay him the time needed to really follow the problem.

I currently have a BMW in the shop that got a jump start by the tow company that delivered it to me.  That is a speech I am about to have to give.  That car has at a minimum 2 fried modules.  And probably more.  Wont start, crank, or unlock the steering column with the key in.  It clearly has a bad ground at the battery. It was in a rear collision and the body shop just routed the ground cable where ever not where it should be but that was long before it came in for current issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One man's experience with his 991 gen 911.

http://youtu.be/zsp1i73z4Po

TLDW version:

- Backup sensor went out, was replaced
- High-pitched whistling noise caused by the passenger window, never fixed
- Side mirrors spontaneously reposition themselves to the lowest setting, never fixed
- Car randomly wouldn't start on first or second try, never fixed
- Battery discharged multiple times, never fixed
- Hitting a bump causes the dash to completely reset, and produces the unique smell of burning electrics, never fixed

Figure he spent at least 130 grand on that car. (Probably more as it has the high end audio system, PDCC, PDK, and other features) He's lemon law-ing the car.
View Quote

FWIW, I've really enjoyed his review vids on the loaner cars.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/-eXUnZrykDY

Gotta love Porsche.
View Quote

Sucks. He has been overly patient with them up until that vid.

86,714 views in one day!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input you guys.  I've got the Porsche itch something horrible!
View Quote

I'm completely stricken.

Down to only one but if I had the dough, I'd fill the property with the sumbitches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top