[#1]
Updates?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Updates?
View Quote

No real updates as of right now..... they did install the vinyl top. Looks badass. It's not cut quite yet as the trim is getting re-chromed so no pics yet.

We are gathering up all the parts to complete the build. Trying to get wiring, brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank all the hard parts in one place in hopes that we don't hit many snags during assembly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Any new pictures?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
BTT for updates!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The shop where you are having this work done ...  is it 'pay as you go' or something?

Seems like they would be in a little bit more of a hurry to move this along.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Update:

Car is being wired. Brake lines run, fuel lines, they mocked up the grille. It's not in its final place, so don't be concerned about the fact that it's not straight.

In other sad news, my father has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He doesn't have much time left with us. He has been part of this project with me and been responsible for 50% of everything. I took all the leftover parts that I had at my house and put a boot in their ass. I really want him to be able to see it finished. Last couple months have been spent gathering parts, waiting on orders, etc. The shop was understanding and want to see it done quickly too. I think we have just about everything. Some parts are going to be needed to be rechromed, refinished, etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
One more

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm so sorry to hear about your father.    And good on you for expediting the build so he can see it finished, I hope you're able to get it done in time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shops having cars like this for years is the norm from what I have seen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The shop where you are having this work done ...  is it 'pay as you go' or something?

Seems like they would be in a little bit more of a hurry to move this along.

TRG

Shops having cars like this for years is the norm from what I have seen.

I have visited and dealt with many such shops.  Labor rates are from the low of $80 per hour and run at $120+ at the high end.  Most don't look at it as working on your car or doing some upgrades, but they are "commissioned" to work on an art project.  Often there is no estimate, or any particular goal with the build.  If you want a deadline, expect the labor rate to double.  They don't price things like engine, front end, rear end, etc, but just keep a log book.  The 18 year old kid that works fast in the shop has your rear end installed in under an hour, you get billed for 5.  This is simply how it works.  If you can find a shop that will give you a quote for a task and a completion date, you have found the unicorn.  

One local shop won't charge any less than $30,000 for a paint job.  This is a stripped body, frame off, bare metal fresh show quality paint job.  They won't put their name or reputation on any less.

Some shops I toured have the same projects three + years later.  Yes, it is pay as you go.  Some shops end up bankrupt with your project still inside.  Many old timers that waited too long to have their dream build, die before ever getting to drive it. Some suffer from other life events, bankruptcy, divorce, kids in college, any number of things and their project stalls due to a lack of cash.  3-5yrs later they are still collecting dust in the pro shop while the owner is struggling with minimum payments.

I had a collision in my '56 Ford and took it to a pro shop for a quote.  I built the truck in a year, and could easily see that they would tie my truck up in the shop for the next 5 years, based on the stalled projects in their shop.  The insurance company paid them for storage and the estimate and flatbedded my truck out of there.  They were pleased to cut me a check for $30,000 and made it clear they were happy not dealing with the shop.  

I am glad to see OP is staying the course.  I will also say I am building my third truck in the same time frame, with no pro shop involved.  

Just saw your post about your father.  Sorry to hear that.  Just rings true with what I am trying to say.  Don't put off that dream project.  Go at it with a passion and be prepared to spend the cash to make it happen.  All too often people lose momentum on a car build, just like the guy you got your buckets of parts from.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
WildEarp- I can definitely see what you are saying. However dads only 61 so it should have been done long before he was dead under different circumstances.

That being said, these things take a lot of time. It's a slow process finding certain parts and components, especially when dealing with anything mopar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks you very much. He has been a great father, mentor and friend to me. He will be missed by many.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#15]
BTT for when you get back to working on the Charger.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Just read all 5 pages. Great post OP and beautiful car. Can't wait to see finished product.

Sorry about your Dad, prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Latest and greatest......

The shop is about 2-3 weeks from being done with what I've asked of them. Should have wiring, dash, interior, trim etc etc completely done with the exception of console.

I moved to Wyoming to be closer to mom and dad so it'll be making the trip up here where we'll finish it.

By the way, Wyoming rocks.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful job so far!  
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beautiful job so far!  
View Quote

Yep, beautiful is the perfect word to describe this car.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like it will be a very nice car. Here is a 68 we have in the shop.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]
The Charger is looking great!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Getting very close to coming home...... carpet and seats left to install and that's about it.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks great . I am sorry about your father .
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Charger has made it home.....

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Motor plans?

The car is amazing .
View Quote

I have already re-built the original numbers matching 440. It is in Colorado. I'm leaving tomorrow to go pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I have another 1968 Date Coded 440 engine as well. My original thoughts were to get the original engine/trans operational, then pull that engine out and put it on an engine stand where I can fire it/run it every so often, then build the other motor to 600-700 HP for play. Not sure if I'll ever get that done or not.

I'm moving more towards lathes & mills and metal work these days. I am building a shop at my new place in Wyoming in which I plan to get go more in depth on fabrication & gunsmithing.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome....Wish I still had my 71
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Going to pull K Member today and prep for motor install

For those of you not familiar, best way to mount these engines is to drop the k member, mount the motor to the k member, mount trans to motor and trans crossmember then set the car down on top of them.

This double scissor lift is going to make things a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Also, I'm building my barn and shop over at my place. I bought a place that's only a mile from Mom and Dad. Pretty special times around here. Hoping the charger will be running before the shop is done, but these projects seem to never be 100% complete.

A CT scan revealed that the chemo is shrinking the metastasis on his liver and his tumor as well. Chemo has been tough emotionally and physically, but he his making progress. He'll be finished mid september if all goes as planned. Hoping for a miracle.

On a side note, my wife and I bought a lathe. We are building this shop into a machine shop. We plan to start building rifles here.

1978 LeBlond 15x60. This machine has never been refinished. It's in phenomenal condition.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#35]
This is still a great thread
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Studs 2x6 12 footers?

Looks like shop is gonna be around 24x40 for the floor plan?

I just built a 25x35 garage with 10ft ceilings.   Kinda wish I did a few things differently.   We did stem walls but I wish we made them thicker.   Also wish I paid for an even stronger concrete for extra piece of mind in case I get a lift in the future.

I did wire the whole sumvabitch for cat6 and coax so that I can have wired network, security cameras, and cable TV.   Also did in wall speakers for 7.2 surround so I could run a projector for a drive in movie theater.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Studs 2x6 12 footers?

Looks like shop is gonna be around 24x40 for the floor plan?

I just built a 25x35 garage with 10ft ceilings.   Kinda wish I did a few things differently.   We did stem walls but I wish we made them thicker.   Also wish I paid for an even stronger concrete for extra piece of mind in case I get a lift in the future.

I did wire the whole sumvabitch for cat6 and coax so that I can have wired network, security cameras, and cable TV.   Also did in wall speakers for 7.2 surround so I could run a projector for a drive in movie theater.
View Quote
Barn is 36x36x14

Shop is 40x60x14

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
40x60 is pretty damn awesome.  14ft ceilings is smart too.

My new 875sq ft garage combined with the 450sqft of my attached garage gives me almost as much garage space as my stupid house.    Definitely more play space than living space.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What kind of rifles?
View Quote
Bolt action target and/or hunting. Will start by building on someone else's receivers. Have my eye on Defiance. I have one of their rebel actions and it's bad ass.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Just ordered a bunch of shit.

Engine Mounts

Water pump

Starter

Starter relay

Tailshaft seal (trans already re-built)

clutch assembly

clutch linkage

Hurst shifter for console application (this one about broke me. $890 bucks)

U joint for drive shaft

& a bunch of other random parts.

I have to go back to Denver next week. Hoping to have the motor in the car by then. Got the K Member pulled out yesterday. The torsion bars were kind of a bitch, but once those came out the K member was a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Neat.  I have started the opposite way... collecting tools and equipment while not having the property to put them on.  Some day, once I stop travelling so much I am going to get them setup and moved out from the farm.  

That is a very nice looking lathe and should do the job.  If you are down in Denver, there used to be an aluminum salvage place in Brighton that sold all of Lockheed/Ball Aero etc scrap.  There were some decent chunks to be had and he sold by the pound.
View Quote

That's awesome. Anything more specific on location of this place or name?

I'm down in Denver pretty often for work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Any updates on the Charger?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Any updates on the Charger?
View Quote

No real updates on the charger. Haven't been able to touch it much as I've been busy trying to get the barn and shop in order before winter hits. Good news is they are coming along! I have the shop 2/3 wired up and the barn about 1/2 done. Also been having to get fence built around this place so our horse doesn't escape.

I've got some parts that have been coming in. I need an 18 spline clutch, and that's the last component needed to assemble the driveline prior to setting the car on top of it. I'll order that this morning!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Bump to keep it alive!
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Bumpity, Bump, Bump.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Just stumbled on this thread....glad to see you stuck with the F8! Wish I could have gotten a dark green on my modern Challenger.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Monthly Bump!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top