Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2012 7:50:05 AM EDT
Looking for a new 2012 or 2013, 2500 diesel pickup 4X4. I'm mostly concerned about long-term reliability and not really worried about performance.

This will be a work truck with lots of off-roading. I don't intend to do much towing. Right now I am leaning towards Dodge because they still offer a manual trans. Although I've heard lots of good things about the cummins engine, I've also heard that Dodges have many other issues like suspension and ball joint failures and also poorly made U-joints that need replacing.

Are GMC, Ford and Dodge about the same or is there one clear winner reliability wise?
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I know several people with the ford, and hear nothing but good things about their trucks. I thought about getting one but my work commute is 35 miles one way, so it was a no go. The fords also now are equipped with the all  in house USA made ford diesel motors.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Ford's designation is 250 not 2500.

Bowties are for little boys. Go with the Ford.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ford's designation is 250 not 2500.

Bowties are for little boys. Go with the Ford.

Really?

I'm glad you had something constructive to add to this conversation.

Op, search around on some of the diesel forums and see what members are talking about for each truck. That should give you some good user feedback to digest.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel.  265,XXX on clock, still running like a champ.

Powerstroke.org is a good place to ask Ford questions.  The F250 has larger cab = more room for the kids and I.

buy what suits your needs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2012 dodge has been great. Ordered with g56 manual trans. New dodges finally have a real Crew Cab, the back seat room is much better on the new gen trucks and quality has gone way up. You dont have stupid UREA crap in the dodges. If you pop the hood you can actually work in there (try that with a ford). And you get to keep solid axles front and back.

The 05 GMC Dmax we had left a bad taste in my mouth. Thing was a POS. Was a plow truck and half that crap IFS needed replaced every other year. Heavy duty my ass. GM would be last on my list.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My take:

Ford
I'll be honest and say that I've never really liked Ford and I don't think they've had a decent diesel engine since the 7.3 Powerstroke. Other than the 6.7 engine the truck as a whole is probably all around the best of the 3. I've heard some horror stories about the 6.7 and the fact that the cab has to be raised to do almost any kind of work on it is a turn off for me.

Chevy
The Duramax has for the most part only improved since it's first generation. The rest of the truck seems more civilized and car-like than the rest partly due to the IFS. Since you said you want to do a fair amount of off roading I'd imagine the IFS would be a drawback.

Dodge
Solid frame and drivetrain, the least powerful of the 3 but it's also the simplest and doesn't use DEF. Dodge always has had problems with driveshaft vibrations, u-joints, balljoints and other suspension components wearing out prematurely. I'd rank the durability of the cab, seats, switches, small parts the worst of the 3. Other than some injector problems and DPF/regen issues I think the 6.7 Cummins has been pretty decent and being a inline 6 it's the easiest to work on of the 3.

Bottom line none of them are going to be long term reliable with the particulate filters and EGR systems intact. I'd recommend removing them asap, gaining some Hp, 3-5mpg and reliability.

I drive and 07 5.9 Dodge and voted Dodge in you poll.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dodge's are shit other than the cummins but that can only do so much if the rest of the truck falls apart around you.

Duramax's are good for some super power and MPG's but lack everywhere else and long term have resonable doubts.

Powerstrokes have their share but overall truck destroys the others and resale alone kills the competition.  I vote Ford but the Chevy would be a my second only if Ford was not an option.  Do as the others have stated check the diesel forums and you'll gather the info needed to make your choice.  Never listen to anyone whom just bought a diesel tell you how awesome their truck is and how good it's been, until its got a solid 100K or more on it...
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dodge's are shit other than the cummins but that can only do so much if the rest of the truck falls apart around you.

Duramax's are good for some super power and MPG's but lack everywhere else and long term have resonable doubts.

Powerstrokes have their share but overall truck destroys the others and resale alone kills the competition.  I vote Ford but the Chevy would be a my second only if Ford was not an option.  Do as the others have stated check the diesel forums and you'll gather the info needed to make your choice.  Never listen to anyone whom just bought a diesel tell you how awesome their truck is and how good it's been, until its got a solid 100K or more on it...

LoL.. I have a 95 ram with 310,000mi (solid as day it was built). Just traded my other 95 ram Friday (for a race quad) with 215,00mi (rusty rockers and fenders as it was a plow truck). Sold my 01 ram with 180,000mi (new owner currently has 230,000mi). Sold my 05 ram in April with 150,000mi.  Not one of these trucks fell apart around me. I've had powerstroke fords break down and rot out on me before 100,000mi so its all in how you care for it. Lets hope Ford got this new Scorpion motor right and its not another 6 leaker..
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good replies. I am still weighing my options. I really like Fords, but if the cab on the Super Duty Ford needs to be moved for most maintenance, that would be a big minus.

One thing I've noticed is the lack of used trucks. Due to the expense of a diesel option, owners seem to hold on to them and these trucks tend to rack up the miles. I couldn't find any used Dodges in the area with less than 160,000 miles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd get the Ram because I'd rather have  the manual.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
All three of them will do everything you need them to and more.  That said, I drive a 2009 Duramax and love it.  Everyone says the IFS is weak, but I've been all over the ranch, pulled other trucks and even a tractor out of mud, and never had a single problem.  And that's with my torsion bars cranked up and bigger tires.  If you're worried about the IFS, a set of tie rod sleeves will ease your mind for under $100.
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All three of them will do everything you need them to and more.  That said, I drive a 2009 Duramax and love it.  Everyone says the IFS is weak, but I've been all over the ranch, pulled other trucks and even a tractor out of mud, and never had a single problem.  And that's with my torsion bars cranked up and bigger tires.  If you're worried about the IFS, a set of tie rod sleeves will ease your mind for under $100.

I agree 100%. IMO, the Duramax is the best overall diesel on the market. I like the newer Fords, and recently bought a new F150, but still prefer the Duramax in the HD trucks. A Ford would be my second choice in a new diesel.

The IFS on the GM trucks is tough enough for any normal usage. You're not going to break anything without abusing it. I've seen a few problems with the IFS at truck pulls and such, but in a situation where you aren't grossly overworking the truck, you won't have any problems. If you're seriously hung up on a solid axle, then go with the F-250.

Although, OP, if you're not towing much, why do you need a 3/4 ton diesel to begin with? A 1/2 ton gas truck will be a lot lighter and more nimble when offroading and can be built to be just as tough with the money you'd save over buying an HD diesel.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of good replies. I am still weighing my options. I really like Fords, but if the cab on the Super Duty Ford needs to be moved for most maintenance, that would be a big minus.

One thing I've noticed is the lack of used trucks. Due to the expense of a diesel option, owners seem to hold on to them and these trucks tend to rack up the miles. I couldn't find any used Dodges in the area with less than 160,000 miles.

This is bullshit, don't buy into it.  The only time the cab is taken off is to do the head or a major engine rebuild.  And it's easier to take the cab off than try to do the job without taking it off, or worse, try to take the engine out.  A good tech can get a cab in as little as two hours or so.  Plus, they usually can get it back realigned on the frame better than the factory.  Not a biggie.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#15]
A 3/4 ton is not the best choice for off-roading. What type of towing will you be doing?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A 3/4 ton is not the best choice for off-roading. What type of towing will you be doing?

Ah this man speaks truth!  They are huge and HEAVY, shit my lil ranger can do more on trails and such than my F250, she's just too damn big. Like a fat girl, you wanna love er but she's just not all that.  3/4 tons are made for highway towing and pulling not trail rigs and mudders, not that you want to do such a thing just agreeing with krustyone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I could probably get by with a 1/2 ton gas truck, but I will probably work this truck harder than previous 1/2 ton trucks I've owned. I will plan keep it for a minimum of ten years, so reliability is my top concern.

I wont do any hardcore off-roading, but lots of unimproved roads, trails, mud, driving across uneven fields, some snow and ice. I only spend about 50% of the time on a paved surface.

I may not load the truck down all the time, but I usually overload my 1/2 ton once a year with tools, equipment, and firewood. Most of the time it's only for a few miles and I try to take it easy, but it would be nice to not worry about breaking something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a Dodge Power Wagon might be the best option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top