Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had my 4Runner for about 6 weeks now. Loving it! Spent a good bit of time fixing leaks. It's not 100%, but a lot better than when I got it. Added a roof rack and a Hi-lift. A buddy helped me fabricate the jack mounts. Yakima wants $90 for their mounts; I made these for $20. I can pretty much guarantee they are strong than the Yakima mounts as well. Next on this list is acquiring a winch and building some cargo area storage.

Took these pics on one of our 70+ degree "January in CO" days this week. I took a VERY extended lunch break that day.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had my 4Runner for about 6 weeks now. Loving it! Spent a good bit of time fixing leaks. It's not 100%, but a lot better than when I got it. Added a roof rack and a Hi-lift. A buddy helped me fabricate the jack mounts. Yakima wants $90 for their mounts; I made these for $20. I can pretty much guarantee they are strong than the Yakima mounts as well. Next on this list is acquiring a winch and building some cargo area storage.

Took these pics on one of our 70+ degree "January in CO" days this week. I took a VERY extended lunch break that day.

View Quote

Badass.

For a good cheap winch, check out Harbor Freight or Smittybuilt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Badass.

I have a Smittybuilt winch on my FJ, and it's been good to me so far. Haven't had to do a vehicle recovery, but I've pulled a few trees from the ground at our new house with ease.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ripped the sidewall in one of my Michelins last week, so I did some searching on craigslist and found a set of almost new Cooper Discoverer ATPs in 265/75/16 for cheap. They give me about an inch more than the 265/70 Michelins did, and they should hold me over until I get around to a Bilstein/OME lift and some 255s. Also threw my rack off my Land Cruiser on top. Probably move it to the shell eventually. Hard to tell from the pics, but the tires are fairly aggressive.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Badass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/colodude/FullSizeRender_zpsfec68ab7.jpg~original
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/colodude/FullSizeRender_zps7ff95395.jpg~original
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/colodude/FullSizeRender_zpsa59ea64b.jpg~original

Badass.

People I know have had mixed results with the Harbor Freight winches - some work like  a champ, others were lemons & replaced under warranty. All the Smittybilt owners I know have nothing but nice things to say about them - I'm waiting for my 9500lb XRC to arrive at the local 4WD Parts right now... I can't wait to get it mounted.

And that is a sweet looking 4Runner. If I wasn't currently building up a Jeep, I'd be in a Yota'. Unfortunately, I can't afford to "Get both" right now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm wishing for warmer weather

Toys-5.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/gowGiu" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/10100303366_0533a0954f_b.jpg</a>Toys-5.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr  
View Quote

Cool truck man!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Spent some time last weekend getting my roof rack built.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool truck man!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/gowGiu" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3790/10100303366_0533a0954f_b.jpg</a>Toys-5.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr  

Cool truck man!!

Thanks, yours is looking tough too!

SO many nice Toyotas in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
A few from today...

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my Iron Man Foam Cell Pro lift on this weekend. Gained 2.5" in the front and 3.25" in the rear.

Today, I am headed to get new wheels and shoes.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thought you were going with the tundra wheels?
View All Quotes

Keep waiting for the next update
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
35" Nitto Trail Grapplers and TRD Rock Warriors!

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#21]
She looks sick!  Cant wait to see the measurements (and maybe get a ride in a few weeks)
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
She looks sick!  Cant wait to see the measurements (and maybe get a ride in a few weeks)
View Quote

That could be arranged. I' m gonna want to do some donuts in your turbo though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Sick 200
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my icon upper arms today. Everything should be installed next week. Mine won't be as nice as squirrelslayers though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got my icon upper arms today. Everything should be installed next week. Mine won't be as nice as squirrelslayers though.
View Quote

Details!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Details!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details!!!!

Just a 2014 fj cruiser. OME 884s with toytec top plate spacers for the full 3" lift in front and 895e's in the rear with icon uca's to top it off. I originally wanted the icon stage 2 or 3 but figured I'd save some money and try ome first. I don't have any added weight other than my fat ass so adjustability isn't a huge concern. I went with the icon arms so that they're already installed if I decide I should upgrade to all icon stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Seeing this makes me wish I went with 35s instead of my 33s, but my stock gears thank me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Beautiful Toyota Squirrel , that color is VFN !   Cool tires/rims too
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seeing this makes me wish I went with 35s instead of my 33s, but my stock gears thank me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My fj is on stock gears and 35's and seems fine. Been going strong for about 18k miles. Been offroaded fairly hard and i live in mountains. Its not as bad as people play it out to be.

Hoping to upgrade to a cruiser soon like squirrel just posted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the complements guys. I love this thing. It is freaking huge!

Gearing is not nearly as bad as it sounds!

As to what is needed:

1. The correct wheels and tires
2. Lift
3. Bump Stops
4. KDSS Relocation Brackets
5. Lots of cutting inside the front wheel wells.

~$4k to $5k in parts + Labor

No rubbing in everyday driving. Haven't flexed it yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My fj is on stock gears and 35's and seems fine. Been going strong for about 18k miles. Been offroaded fairly hard and i live in mountains. Its not as bad as people play it out to be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on the coast and drive into the wind a lot. It does fine up to a little over 70mph but after that it downshifts a lot. If we didn't have so much wind and I wasn't on the highway all the time I'd do 35s. Maybe after these tires wear out I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I live on the coast and drive into the wind a lot. It does fine up to a little over 70mph but after that it downshifts a lot. If we didn't have so much wind and I wasn't on the highway all the time I'd do 35s. Maybe after these tires wear out I'll give it a try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

4.56 gears from Nitro and add an air locker (or 2 if you don't have e-locker) while you're at it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
4.56 gears from Nitro and add an air locker (or 2 if you don't have e-locker) while you're at it.   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/t4r/DSCN5517.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.56 gears from Nitro and add an air locker (or 2 if you don't have e-locker) while you're at it.   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/t4r/DSCN5517.JPG

I'd love to do that. But you are talking about $4k in just parts plus at least another $2k in labor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I Fent...

Okay, I'm reserving this spot...

I'm really getting the itch for an FJ80... I may have found one less than an hour away that's not stupid expensive. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edit - T-minus two hours until I go check it out in person. If it's halfway decent mechanically, I'm Foing.

It came prepped...

I didn't get home until after dark... So these crappy phone pics are all I've got right now.

This is going to be a familiar pose...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm really getting the itch for an FJ80... I may have found one less than an hour away that's not stupid expensive. Keeping my fingers crossed.
View Quote

What ever the question is, the answer is FJ80.  

Does it have lockers?  Is it actually the FZJ80 (slightly better)?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
How do I get good fuel economy?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope... It's the 3FE-motivated beast. The FZJ's I've looked at have either been beat to shit looking, or way more than I'm looking to spend on a (primarily) exploring/camping rig.

Heavy, durable & slow - like I'm getting to be.

I've been wanting an expedition-styled rig for damn near as long as I can remember - an 80 Series with an ARB bumper just begs to be driven where lesser built rigs fear to tread. I love our JK, but things like a distinct lack of enclosed storage capacity & a small tow-rating keep it from being the "Dream Expedition Rig." I've had XJ's, and seriously considered getting another (or a 4.0L ZJ), but at the end of the day - it'd be an aging unibody 4x4 that had been wheeled hard by a drunk teenager wearing a stars & bars ball cap (the fate of many XJ's), or driven into the ground by a succession of owners (Grand Cherokee.) I've even been tempted by visions of built LR Discoveries (series 1 or 2), but I honestly think it'd easier to just burn the cash than to fool with anything British.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Nope... It's the 3FE-motivated beast. The FZJ's I've looked at have either been beat to shit looking, or way more than I'm looking to spend on a (primarily) exploring/camping rig.

I've been wanting an expedition-styled rig for damn near as long as I can remember - an 80 Series with an ARB bumper just begs to be driven where lesser built rigs fear to tread. I love our JK, but things like a distinct lack of enclosed storage capacity & a small tow-rating keep it from being the "Dream Expedition Rig." I've had XJ's, and seriously considered getting another (or a 4.0L ZJ), but at the end of the day - it'd be an aging unibody 4x4 that had been wheeled hard by a drunk teenager wearing a stars & bars ball cap (the fate of many XJ's), or driven into the ground by a succession of owners (Grand Cherokee.) I've even been tempted by visions of built LR Discoveries (series 1 or 2), but I honestly think it'd easier to just burn the cash than to fool with anything British.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets be clear, you are not likely to tow very much with a Cruiser after you mod it.  It needs every one of the about 200 hp to move it around.

And yes, they go everywhere nicely.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Absolutely sick picture tmleadr03!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#45]

I am ordering these same rims for my 2014 FJ Cruiser. Damn tax return taking too long....

5 TRD Bronze Rims with 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#46]
My current project/toy.  1996 4Runner Limited, 3.4L with E-locker.  The only mod I've done that you can see in this pic is the conversion to lock-out hubs.  Well, I guess technically loosing the running boards and the Tacoma whip mod. are mods too.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#47]
My 2012 FJ.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Even Bambi wants to ride in a LandCruiser

Foglight mount and mount in bumper broken, headlight cracked, parking sensor not working.  

Need to go find some rocks.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I managed to get out & take a couple pics this weekend...

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top