Site Notices
11/20/2014 4:05:39 PM
11/19/2014 7:25:58 PM
Author
Posted: 10/4/2011 9:42:05 AM EST
How do you tell if it's a bad bearing or tires feathering?

My wheels make a loud roaring noise no matter what speed I'm at. Had them aligned and rebalanced and still there. Jacked up the car and tried to wiggle the wheels and no movement. They spin smoothly. Tires have a very minute wear on the outside but very very minute.

Any ideas?
k12lts
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 9:44:34 AM EST
Rotate the tres and see if it's still there.

Probably not a wheel bearing if you recently had it aligned, the shop should have found it if there was a problem.
If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
tmleadr03
Semper Fi Brothers
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 10:14:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By k12lts:
Rotate the tres and see if it's still there.

Probably not a wheel bearing if you recently had it aligned, the shop should have found it if there was a problem.

I just did a wheel bearing on a vehicle that had absolutely no play in the bearing. Noise was all that was going on. If it has leaked all the grease out it will make noise first, then get play in it.

If it is a front whee drive, jack up the front wheels, put it in drive and WITH OUT TOUCHING THE MOVING WHEEL grab the spring. If you feel the noise on one side or the other you have a wheel bearing.
Originally Posted By Aimless:
My butt and knees hurt thinking about it
GNRNR
Rational Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 1:28:07 PM EST
Tire name?
"Hitting someone in the balls with a grenade is pretty much a universal language" John_Wayne777
Boomer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 1:57:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By GNRNR:
Tire name?

Along with age and miles.

Some just tires just get louder as they wear.
straatconst
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 6:19:58 PM EST
Do you have an aggressive tread pattern on these tires.
I had a one-ton dually pickup that howled like a pack of dogs following me around.
It seemed to get louder as the tires would wear.
No dice. Had to go to the doctor yesterday due to poison ivy inhalation, so that put a damper on it.
Bigmiker21
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/4/2011 9:01:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By straatconst:
Do you have an aggressive tread pattern on these tires.
I had a one-ton dually pickup that howled like a pack of dogs following me around.
It seemed to get louder as the tires would wear.

not on topic but I love the sound of my mud tires but at a certain speed i sometimes have to close windows cause they are so loud
mamacujo
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2011 2:24:17 AM EST
Hubby swaps my truck tires side to side to prevent that noise. It works quite well. The uneven tire wear is always at the front of the tread blocks, due to braking, he says. Swapping them front to rear does not help.
nj0ywatch1np0rn
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2011 5:38:03 AM EST
The sound comes from the rear from what my passengers have told me.

They are the Yoko Envigors. They have about 15k miles on them with about 30% tread life left.

I have rotated them front to rear since they are a directional tread pattern.
NotMrWizard
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2011 7:12:09 AM EST
Had some Yokohamas on our Silverado. Bit the bullet and bought a new set when they had about only 20k miles (and I'd say had about 40-50% tread remaining) because they howled so loudly. Gave me a headache to drive more than an hour. Had another friend tell me the same thing happened with his.
strat81
Misanthropic Realist
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2011 11:27:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
I just did a wheel bearing on a vehicle that had absolutely no play in the bearing. Noise was all that was going on.

My Rainier has a bad front driver's side wheel bearing that also didn't have any play - just noise.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association today! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/
LoganSackett
If you can read this, you aren't illiterate
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2011 12:30:17 PM EST
Is it rear wheel drive? You could try jacking up the rear wheels and slowly pushing on the accelerator to get them to turn. If it's a bearing, you'll still hear it when the wheels are off the ground. If it goes away when the tires are in the air, it's tire noise.
"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"Strive for perfection and you will easily surpass excellence"----dad

".............."---Harpo Marx
nj0ywatch1np0rn
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/6/2011 4:49:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By LoganSackett:
Is it rear wheel drive? You could try jacking up the rear wheels and slowly pushing on the accelerator to get them to turn. If it's a bearing, you'll still hear it when the wheels are off the ground. If it goes away when the tires are in the air, it's tire noise.

No, it's a front wheel drive car.
DJdiesel
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:50:27 AM EST
feel the edges of the tires to see if they are cupped or feathered
wildearp
Get off my lawn!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/7/2011 7:09:44 AM EST
It is possible it may have too much toe. You can check this, roughly, with a tape measure. Maybe the alignment shop fooked up? Maybe you have bad tie rods or ball joints?
Simple Solutions to Complex problems.
SEMPER FI, DO OR DIE!
NRA Life Member
SASS Life Member